Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default R Bell Bolton Amble

Been some WW1 Amble medals going round and round for a few months at a well known auction venue. I succumbed at the latest price reduction.

Anyway, in with the few original documents with them is an old photo of an Amble Church memorial - St Marks I believe - Photo is by R. Bell Bolton, "Press and Pictorial Photographer Amble."

Just thought someone might be interested as we've never had this chap mentioned on here before? A new one for our photographers list? I assume active during the roaring twenties.

Old 15-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I'm a bit stumped trying to find my man William John Aitchison* on the 1911 census. Not Amble born I assume. I do know his father's name was William.
He is on the clock memorial as well. Second on the list.

*(Killed just after the 3rd Battle of Gaza, so his body lies in Palestine somewhere. Not sure if he is our only Palestine casualty, I'll have a look later)

Last edited by Coquet; 15-12-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 15-12-2015, 10:20 PM

There's a William John Aitchison, son of William Alexander, born about 1892 somewhere called Greenvale?? The family are living in 29 Scott Street in 1911. William Jr. is a municipal surveyor's clerk, his father is a coal carter. Most of the other siblings have been born around Warkworth.
William John is on the Dovecote Street school memorial too, so must have been in Amble from a young age.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:24 PM

It looks like Greenvale was in the Whittingham area. He had an older brother, Robert, born there too. This could well be Bob Aitchison who had the shop on Albert Street ("No tick here"). Then taken over by his daughters Nellie and Peggy.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:39 PM

Morpeth Herald, 30 November 1917:

"Signaller William J Aitchison, of Amble, has been killed in action in Palestine. He was five years clerk with the late Mr Gibson, the town surveyor. He joined up in August of 1915 in the Tyneside Commercials and was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, and went to France in June 1916. In November of that year he left France for Salonica. From the latter place he went to Egypt in July of this year, and from there to Palestine, where he has been in the thick of the battles."
Old 15-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Got him now! I must have misspelled his surname or something in my first search

I also got distracted by the fact he was at first in the 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers which is generally a Tyneside Battalion.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Bob Aitchison had a shop on Albert Street, is this correct? (I'm looking at the 1926 roll) Goodfellows at the same address/flat? as well I think.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Morpeth Herald, 30 November 1917:

"Signaller William J Aitchison, of Amble, has been killed in action in Palestine. He was five years clerk with the late Mr Gibson, the town surveyor. He joined up in August of 1915 in the Tyneside Commercials and was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, and went to France in June 1916. In November of that year he left France for Salonica. From the latter place he went to Egypt in July of this year, and from there to Palestine, where he has been in the thick of the battles."
Tremendous Janwhin. I have a signaller's arm badge and Machine Gun Corps cap badge to keep with his medals.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Regarding the photographer, Robert Bell Bolton - he is added to the end of the Wellwood Street list in the 1926 roll (with a George William Bolton), but marked as 'abode 1 Gibson Street' So I assume they had a studio in Wellwood Street or something.

I imagine the church had the photos of the memorial taken for distribution to the families of the men listed on it.
Old 16-12-2015, 10:27 AM

On the 1911 census, Robert Bell Bolton is a draper's assistant, aged 17, living with his parents at Pretoria Cottage, Radcliffe. His father, John William, is a deputy overman.
Old 16-12-2015, 04:14 PM

Bolton Of Pretoria Cottage, one of a rather long standing family of Radcliffe, so long standing that the end of the Hauxley road, where it joins the road to Amble, was known locally as "Boltons corner". This was where the three cornered bus shelter once stood.