Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Default 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers
Started by Wesley , Dec 28 2009 11:03 PM

Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
#1 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #1 Wesley
Captain

Old Sweats
287 posts
Interests:Researching the private memorials in East Finchley Cemetery.
Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:03 PM
I would be extremely grateful for any information regarding the following man…

Oscar Earnshaw, a Northumberland miner who enlisted in the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry in 1911 and was commissioned as 2nd Lieut. 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers in January 1916. He was later killed in action on the 2nd June 1916.

I have all the usual… WO/339, CWGC, SDGW, and will be searching WO/95 in the next couple of weeks. What I would really like is a photo, but would be grateful for any other information anyone can provide.

Many thanks.

#2 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #2 johnny_doyle
Major

Old Sweats
367 posts
Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:51 AM
in 1908, Oscar Earnshaw is listed as a Mining Student rather than a miner. I think he was looking at the technical aspects of mining rather than going down the pit hence a good man for a tunnelling unit.

in the 1901 census he's at boarding school in Sunderland whilst his parents James and Jane are at 7 Kiln Bank House, Amble with 3 other children (Earnest, Harold and Gladys). His father James was a Clerk with the Warkworth Harbour Commission and still going strong in the role in 1933

http://www.london-ga...628/pages/13479

http://www.london-ga...s/6697/page.pdf

in the 1891 census the family lived in London where the father was a Mercantile Clerk. In the 1881 census, James Earnshaw is a Clerk in the Colliery Office in Amble.

No sign of MICs or service records for the brothers Earnest Earnshaw or Harold Earnshaw.
#3 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #3 linge
Lieut-Colonel

Old Sweats
776 posts
Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:12 PM
Born at Gateshead in 1888

Married Lavinia A Chapman 1913 at Newcastle upon Tyne

Lived at Westwood House, Hamsterley Colliery, Co Durham

Two children born Lanchester RD:

Kenneth Earnshaw born 1914
Betty Earnshaw born 1915

He is commemorated on the following War Memorials:

Amble Clock Tower Memorial
Amble St Cuthberts Church Memorial
Amble Wesleyan Methodists Church Memorial
Morpeth King Edward VI School Memorial
Institute Mining and Mechanical Engineers Plaque (Newcastle upon Tyne)
Hamsterley Colliery Cross War Memorial
Hamsterley Colliery Roll of Honour
Plaque at Christ Church Low Wood
Celtic Cross War Memorial at Medomsley

Regards

Pam

#4 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #4 Wesley
Captain

Old Sweats
287 posts
Interests:Researching the private memorials in East Finchley Cemetery.
Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:57 PM
Many thanks to both of you biggrin.gif

Sorry that was my mistake referring to him as a ‘Miner’, he was in fact a mining engineer.
I should also have mentioned in my original post that I have the relevant census transcripts/family details, but thank you both very much for taking the trouble to find the information for me.

Pam, thank you for the info on the war memorials. I was aware of the one at Amble but not the others, can I ask where you got that information from?

#5 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #5 linge
Lieut-Colonel

Old Sweats
776 posts
Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:08 PM
I searched this site:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

His address came from:

http://www.dmm-galle...nsime/u59-a.htm

He received his 2nd Class Certificate of Competency as Manager and Under-Manager of Mines at Newcastle on 30th January, 1913 (also came from above website)

Regards

Pam
#6 2nd Lieut. Oscar Earnshaw, 177th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers: post #6 Wesley
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM

Found this on WW1 site
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No sign of MICs or service records for the brothers Earnest Earnshaw or Harold Earnshaw.

Looking in the wrong place for Harold, he's Navy rather than Army:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D7051859

Harold is back with his parents in Kiln Bank House on the Wynd in the 1926 register.

He is a Mechanical Apprentice on the 1911 census and an Engine Room Artificer on the Absent voters' list which makes sense.

There is an Earnest Earnshaw in the Mercantile Marine of the correct age but cannot be certain it's the other brother but it would explain his disappearance from the other records.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Oscar Earnshaw, a Northumberland miner who enlisted in the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry in 1911
The Yeomanry generally took in the 'Horsey types' - guess he had some horsemanship skills?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Earnest appears to be the Mercantile Marine man.

Here he is coming in to Liverpool from Buenos Aires in 1913. down as an Engineer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earnest_earnshaw.jpg (18.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM

Earnshaw was a name still in Amble until at least the '50's. The had a connection with the harbour and the trimmers, two brothers lived in King Edward street.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM

A mention in the Newcastle Journal of 1 April 1915 for Ernest Earnshaw:

"A VICTIM OF THE KRONPRINZ WILHELM; An Amble Engineer's Experiences.

Mr J Earnshaw clerk to the Warkworth Harbour Commissioners, has just received a letter from his son, Ernest Earnshaw, the engineer of the ss Chasehill, which was seized by the Kronprinz Wilhelm......
After leaving England for the River Plate, everything went fine until we had passed Las Palmas, when on 11 February we came across the German cruiser Kronprinz Wilhelm, which very promptly took charge of the Chasehill, giving us twenty minutes to pack up and get on board the cruiser......We remained as prisoners for 15 days....On 12 February the French mail steamer, Guadeloupe was captured and sunk..passengers and crew transferred to the cruiser.....They took all the coals, excepting a two day supply from the Chasehill, and then knocked the ship fairly to pieces, after which we were all transferred again to the Chasehill, with a small piece of chart sufficient to navigate us to Pernambuco...Each person required to sign a declaration that we would take no part in the war.
After these precautions had been taken, a further onslaught was made upon the dynamo electric lighting and the refrigerating machinery, which was totally destroyed, and the main engine partially disabled, so that the Chasehill presented a sorry spectacle as she sought a port of refuge during the two following days."
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
A mention in the Newcastle Journal of 1 April 1915 for Ernest Earnshaw:

"A VICTIM OF THE KRONPRINZ WILHELM; An Amble Engineer's Experiences.

Fascinating. Also his ship SS Chasehill was lost in 1916. Don't know if he was on it then, but he survived the war.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM

It is fascinating, not least the honour code that seemed to operate at that point. Mind you I did have to look up Pernambuco....a Brazilian state, so the Wilhelm was operating between the Canaries and South America.