Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Amble Junior Football Team

Just noticed the photograph of the team in 1898-1899, so had a look in the newspapers. Frustrating, Amble Juniors played in the Wansbeck Junior League and won it in 1898...that must be the cup.
Their final game of the season, to decide the championship was against Broomhill, away. That was a draw so they played again at Amble. They must have won but can't find anything about it.

J R Henry was the captain, John Carse was a full back. I wonder if the two Burtons belonged to a Burton who was a mineral water manufacturer in Bridge Street?
Old 13-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Default Burtons in Football team 1898

What a great find ! I am very interested and may be able to help.
I would love to see the photograph of the junior football team and can you tell me which newspaper has the team report?

My great grandpa John BURTON of the Steamboat Inn and the Mineral water company had 13 children. Two of his sons were John (Jack) and Ridley.

look forward to hearing from you

Margaret
Old 13-11-2012, 08:57 PM

The team photograph is on the Amble website, page 2 of the Gallery. If you click on the photo it will enlarge and show the names of the team beneath. I only picked up the name of the captain in an 1898 Morpeth Herald report and JT Carse was from an article about him.

In 1899 the Herald carried an advert advising customers of Mr Burton that he had removed to more commodious premises in Bridge Street.

It seems, too, that Mr Burton was on the council.
Old 13-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Administrator

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/old_photos..._1898_1899.htm
Old 13-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
In 1899 the Herald carried an advert advising customers of Mr Burton that he had removed to more commodious premises in Bridge Street.

Interesting, Turnbull and Williamson had their mineral water factory in Bridge Street as well, so I guess they took over from John Burton??
Old 13-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Turnbull and Williamson seem to be the only manufacturer in Amble in the 1914 trade directory so I guess they must have taken over.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
In January 1899 premises on the Wynd were to be let, in occupation of Mr Burton, aerated water manufacturer, and having been used as such. House with large kitchen and 4 rooms, manufactory, 3 stables for 4 horses and 4 1/2acres of land and garden. Looks like he moved from there to Bridge Street. References to Steamboat Inn seem to be earlier in 1890s.

The Councillor Burton was a George and a shoemaker.

Last edited by janwhin; 13-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In January 1899 premises on the Wynd were to be let, in occupation of Mr Burton, aerated water manufacturer, and having been used as such. House with large kitchen and 4 rooms, manufactory, 3 stables for 4 horses and 4 1/2acres of land and garden. Looks like he moved from there to Bridge Street. References to Steamboat Inn seem to be earlier in 1890s.

The Councillor Burton was a George and a shoemaker.

That Wynd Mineral Water Factory must have come back into use again as Young's 'pop factory'. The 1934 Kelly's Directory states: Young R.W., mineral water manufacturer & agent for bottled beers, Wynd. T.N. 56

This is the place I was once told, there was a small three sided courtyard behind . Now sadly demolished and built on.

Old 13-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Young's 'pop' must have kept going a while because I think I can remember it? Or am I imagining things

[edit to add: I might be thinking of the Morpeth 'Chantry Wells' mineral water manufacturer, I think they were Youngs too.]
Old 14-11-2012, 10:25 AM

What a sad photograph. Not only the courtyard gone but 4 1/2 acres of land and garden

The only pop man I can remember is Muters. But then I've a terrible memory for the names of things.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

I had a relative (now deceased ) that worked in the pop factory at the bottom on the Wynd. It must have still been functioning in the 50's so someone might remember it.

Those buildings would have been perfect for our Amble Heritage Centre. Assuming a Lottery Heritage grant of the obligatory £780,000..... To get us started (think I've spent that myself on lottery tickets over the years. I did win a tenner once.)
Old 14-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Youngs pop factory at the Wynd.

This was in existance until the late 60's early70's and Bill Young, the son of the owner, still lives in Amble, he had Younsports at the bottom of Queen Street after the pop factory finished. They had at least one waggon on the road selling pop and employed quite a few people in the manufacture.
Old 14-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Junior team

Checking the photo I have just posted on new thread (about the Soda Pop factory), I see that that my J and R Burton cannot be the two members of this team as they were too young!
I have also checked the 1891 Census for George Burton Bootmaker and see that he did have a son Robert and a son John. These two would have been 28 and 18 in 1898 - so more likely candidates.

Not sure what the definition of Junior is in this context..........

I take it that the handwritten 1898-9 date on the photo is verifiable?

My eye was caught originally because Grandma's brother Ridley Burton (born at The Wynd in 1893-died 1974) became a professional footballer playing for Newcastle United among other teams.

In later life Ridley was the landlord of the Melton Constable at Seaton Delaval

M