Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 22-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Local Books

I have been given some local publications, belonging to a late relative. I already have a copy of these so I'm happy to let them go free to a good home. I would only want to cover the cost of postage, since Royal Mail now take your eyes out

The books are:
"Amble, the Friendliest Port" by Morrison and Rylance (a pictorial history);

"By the Green of the Spring" John Hardy's tribute to men of Chevington and Broomhill World War 1;

"In this Quiet Lane", John Hardy's World War 2 tribute.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Default "By The Green Of The Spring" - JH Hardy

Almost a year after the thread posted, I think now is the time to remember the book by JH HARDY, 'By The Green Of The Spring'. In his book he states that by April 1915 103 men of East Chevington Institute had enlisted in the Armed Forces. Most of these, and many more from our district, joined Northumberland Fusiliers, 7th Battalion.
On 20th April 7 Battalion were mustered at Cambois and marched to Blyth. There they joined a troop train to Folkestone. That same night they boarded a steamship SS Invicta and set sail to Boulogne, France, where they arrived in the early hours of 21st.
Because of enemy advances the battallion was hurried into the line to plug gaps on 25 April. On 26th they suffered thier first casualties, James Dalby and James Tait, both from The Drift. As we are all aware many more local men would perish before the Armistice in 1918.
One of the first casualties, James Dalby, was my great uncle. He enlisted with his two brothers John T and William, who came home, not unscathed but survivors of a great disaster for of course, the whole country, but felt severely by our ancestors from Amble and district.
May we always remember the price paid. May they rest in peace.