Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 PM

Default Pan Point natural rock arch?

I've been trying to put together what I can find to understand the landscape history of Amble and how our coast has changed. Part of this has been studying the old online maps available and on one of them immediately prior to the Pan Point quarrying it is marked "Natural Rock Arch" in the region of the Paddlers sea-wall.

I'm very interested in this, but haven't been able to find any further info. Do you know anything about this? I'm very much hoping someone can describe it. It would be fantastic if someone has a drawing of it. In my imagination I see it as a 'gateway' from the sea that looks very impressive - but it may have been a minor feature - however, it must have been important enough to be marked on a map.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator

The modern sea wall at the quarry contains an older natural rock barrier, but that older 'wall' had a hole through it. I can remember it, and the sea blasting through it on some days. I don't know about it being natural, I assumed it was a quarrying mishap. It was natural stone though.

It was behind the chap in this pic:

Old 09-11-2015, 12:09 PM

This used to be one of our regular walks, but the gap in the rock in front of the chap used to scare me to death. I always thought I was going to fall down it
Old 19-01-2016, 07:47 PM

The gap or natural arch, through the quarry wall was just at the point where the wall joined the cliff face. The path around Cliff House sloped down there onto the wall and as Jan says you had to step over an opening, it was fairly challenging to children.