Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Default New member - Kirsty Railton(Young)

Hi, I am one of the legion of Youngs descended from Thomas Young of Panhaven road. I have started looking at my family history, and am hoping that this site will provide more information. It's also really nice to be reminded of home! I should visit more often!
Old 24-09-2015, 08:55 AM

Oh no, not another one. Coquet will be dusting down his family tree as we speak Welcome to the site.
Old 24-09-2015, 09:01 AM

thank you, there is some really interesting stuff here!
Old 24-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Hi Kirsty, welcome to the forum!
Re: Thomas Young, do you descend from his first or second wife? (first Margaret Ann, died of TB in Lime Street aged 33 in 1888)
Old 25-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Hi, i'm descended from his second wife, Elizabeth. My grandad was john william and my dad is norman. I've only just started looking into it and am only as far back as george young and hannah white.
Old 25-09-2015, 03:17 PM

You'll be related to me as well then. Hannah White was my 2 x great grandmother's sister.
Old 26-09-2015, 08:23 AM

You're related to me too Kirsty . My Dad is Hylton , and my Grandfather was Norman , your Grandad's brother . I remember your Grandad John . He still lived at Panhaven Rd when I lived in Amble as a young boy
Old 27-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Nice to see so many relatives! I have some fond memories of the house on Panhaven road! Could i ask advice on tracing my family tree? I tried the 14 day trial on ancestry but have cancelled it now, so am looking for tips on free sites? And are any of the northumberland parish records available online anywhere, or am i going to have to make some trips to the homeland and do it the old fashioned way!?
Old 28-09-2015, 09:56 PM

Kirsty, you're giving yourself a hard task without Ancestry. All other options, apart from visiting Woodhorn, will only give you partial success.
Useful free websites are FreeReg which has good coverage of parish registers or FamilySearch which has Bishops Transcripts (not necessarily accurate). It really depends which parishes you want to access and of course, if your family were non-conformists, it's a bit of a mare.
Old 29-09-2015, 10:32 AM

One other point worth mentioning is that larger libraries and county archives have Ancestry (library edition) on their computers, so you could do useful stuff there re census and other people's public trees.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Administrator

One of Thomas Young's adult daughters committed suicide in Lime Street (1905). Don't know if you want to hear about that.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 PM

thank you for the pointers, I have access to the library so can use that. I would love to hear about thomas's daughter please Coquet
Old 02-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Morpeth Herald 11 March 1905

SAD SUICIDE AT AMBLE

A melancholy case of suicide took place at Amble on Saturday, when a young married woman named Margaret Eleanor Pattison hung herself in her house in Lime Street. An inquest was held at Amble Police Court on Monday afternoon by Mr Coroner Percy.

The first witness called was Thomas Young, who said he was a pilot at Warkworth Harbour, the deceased was his daughter, and her name was Margaret Eleanor Pattison, she was married, the wife of Thomas Pattison of Amble, painter. She was 22 years of age. She had been married about 3 months. She had been drinking. Her husband was at present fishing at sea. He went away about 2 o’clock on the Saturday morning last to his ship the SS Ringwood. A week previously he found her on the quay at the harbour at 3a.m. he asked her what she was doing, and she said she was nervous and could not stop in the house. He then took her home.

The next witness called was Ed. Matthews, who said he was a coal trimmer at Warkworth Harbour. On Friday night last, about 11 o’clock he saw the deceased standing at her door and Lime Street, as he was passing. She then seemed quite sober. He asked what she was waiting for, she said she was waiting for her husband, she was expecting him coming in. He passed on bidding her good night.

Elizabeth Moscrop said she was a single woman, living at Amble. She lived opposite the deceased. The deceased had been drinking heavily lately. Her husband had been with her about a week. On Saturday morning, the 4th inst., about 8 o’clock, she went across to see how she was getting on. The door was open. She went in, and found her at the end of the couch in the kitchen. She seemed to be in a kneeling position. She noticed a rope around her neck. She was in her nightdress. Witness then went straight out and sought Mr. Evans, who went back in a minute. She saw her the night before, about 9.45. Her husband was then in the house. They seemed friendly with each other. He was kind to her.
Albert Evans said he lived in Lime Street, Amble, straight opposite the deceased’s house. On Saturday morning last, about 8 o’clock, he was called by Elizabeth Moscrop to the deceased. He went at once and found her hanging by a rope fastened to the ceiling by a hook. She was half kneeling, and the weight of her body was on the rope. He eased the rope and a lad, Thomas Chapman, cut the rope from her neck. The body was quite warm, not the slightest degree rigid. He attempted to restore life by artificial respiration. He then sent for the doctor and the sergeant at once. The doctor pronounced her dead. Sergeant McGregor also came quickly. There was no disorder about the room or her dress. The lamp was still burning. Her hands were quite free.
Sergeant McGregor said shortly after 8 o’clock he received information, and in consequence went to the deceased’s house. He found her lying on the couch in the kitchen, dead. She was slightly warm. There was a blue mark around her neck. He saw she was in her nightdress, and looking up, he saw the rope (produced). The bedclothes appeared as if she had just got out of bed. The room was in perfect order. Her nightdress appeared to be in order, and the mark around her neck was the only appearance of violence on the body. The body was not at all rigid. She could reach from the couch to the ceiling where the rope was attached to the hook.

VERDICT
That the deceased Margaret Eleanor Pattison committed suicide while labouring under temporary insanity by hanging herself at Amble, on the 4th day of March, 1905.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Not sure why her husband Thomas Pattison is described as a painter, then it goes on to say he is at sea fishing? The SS Ringwood also appears to belong to Broomhill colliery? Strange. Ed Matthews has a good chance to be her uncle as well but nothing is mentioned in the report.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM

How sad! Thank you!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Here's the page of notes on the children of Thomas Young out of my folder. I did that some time back.

There appears to be two sets of twins from the second marriage. Do you know if they survived? They are having quick private baptisms which is not a good sign.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator

snippet from the probate calendar:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ada_temple_young.jpg (23.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default Thomas Young + Margaret/Elizabeth

There is a lot of child mortality in that list, cross referencing to the east cemetery index by Janwhin. Only Matthew M (my ancestor) and Margaret E (suicide 1905) make it to adulthood in the fist marriage. Robert, George and Hannah die in childhood in the second.

I wondered about the 1901 census where 83 year old Hannah White (Young) is on the Wynd with two grandchildren; Matthew (mine) and Ellen. Ellen must be Margaret Eleanor Young (Suicide 1905) There does not appear to be any other option? (although there was another male child of Hannah and George, John, born 1842, who could have produced 'Young' grandchildren )

Re Hannah White.
Hannah White was born at Togston 1818. I would be interested if anyone had any research on the Togston 'Whites'. In particular bringing the male line forward to the Great War. (you guessed it - medals again)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Coquet, Hannah White was one of three siblings. My 2x great grandmother, Margaret was the eldest. There was one son, William. born 1812 at Maidens Hall. It is from this line that you might have WW1 veterans. William married Elizabeth Trobe in 1840 and had 4 children but only one surviving son, Thomas, born 1842 in Amble. He married Mary Ann Wheatley in 1876 and lived in Cambois. There were 3 surviving sons, all born at Cambois, William (1883), Joshua (1885) and Henry (1888). That's as far as I've gone with that particular family.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
William (1883), Joshua (1885) and Henry (1888). That's as far as I've gone with that particular family.
Bad birth years for getting caught in the WW1 mincing machine.
I've got a good feeling about this medal now. Even though it's a long shot with the common surname. Although someone else still owns it at the moment!