Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Default James Young

Does this man belong to Hollydog or Coquet?

Newcastle Courant Friday 27 June 1873

"On Monday morning, James Young, late Coastguardsman of Amble, who, since retiring from the service, has been engaged as a mason's labourer, was assisting to draw up a stone for the window head of a new building when the rope broke, precipitating him from a height of about 20 feet. He alighted on his head, and was instantaneously killed. He leaves a widow and nine children."
Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Yes Jan that is my great great grandfather, inscription on the East Cemetery page of Coquet and Coast - Thankyou, never knew that, I wonder which building, anyway of finding the location?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/cemetery/young.htm

Interred at warkworth - Keep a look out for him on the Warkworth trascriptions please COQUET

Last edited by hollydog; 06-08-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM

I'll have a look and see what I can find. In the meanwhile, the Rev Medd wrote a letter to the Alnwick Mercury on behalf of James' widow, dated 5 August:

"Sir, - I am desired by Mrs Young, the widow of James Young, who met with a fatal accident in Amble on the 24th June, to express her sincere thanks to the many kind friends in Amble and the neighbourhood, who have so generously contributed towards the fund that has been raised in her behalf through the instrumentality of Messrs Mathews and Temple, coastguardmen of Amble, and of others interested in her welfare.
The late James Young was for several years chief boatman of the coastguards stationed at Amble and rendered valuable service on the occasion of the disastrous wrecks in this neighbourhood on the 17th December last. Early this year he was superannuated, and in order to increase his retiring pension was working as a mason's labourer when he met with his lamentable accident. He leaves a widow and nine children, the youngest not yet one year old, and none able to contribute at present to the support of their mother. I will only add, that the late James Young was much respected by all here, and that his widow is thoroughly deserving of all the help she has received; and that I shall be only too glad to receive and acknowledge any further subscriptions on her behalf."

Shows what a fine line there was in those days between comfort and poverty.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:38 PM

There was a bit of building going on in Queen Street, Hollydog. In July of that year there was a notice about tendering for the building of the premises for the North Eastern Banking Company. Earlier that year another tender was out for the building of a house and shop on Queen Street.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
There was a bit of building going on in Queen Street, Hollydog. In July of that year there was a notice about tendering for the building of the premises for the North Eastern Banking Company. Earlier that year another tender was out for the building of a house and shop on Queen Street.
I wonder if it is the premises we are in now or even Barclays across the road? How poignant, thanks again Jan - interesting stuff this history

The one year old, youngest of the Youngs' nine children was my grandfather Francis who started N and F Young with his brother Neil in 1882

Last edited by hollydog; 06-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.