Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default RN visit C 1948

Is there anyone out there old enough to remember a visit by three RN destroyers about 1948/9?I was eight or nine at the time and townspeople were ferried out on the fishing boats .Think they were destroyers as they had Torpedo tubes !!
Old 18-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

You reminded me of a story from my family but realized the dates are wrong. In 1956 HMS Welcome was at anchor somewhere off Amble. My uncle was a keen canoeist and decided to canoe out to the ship. Apparently it was quite some distance offshore and the crew were so impressed with my uncle's efforts they hauled him on-board for a tour of the ship, and gave him a photo as a memento of the visit.

Photo is below, a little dog-eared now. Sadly within 12 months of this my uncle was killed in a motor accident in Newcastle.

on the back it says: With best wishes from the ship's company HMS Welcome 12th September 1956 (Coxswain's Office date / sig)

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Default RN Visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
Is there anyone out there old enough to remember a visit by three RN destroyers about 1948/9?I was eight or nine at the time and townspeople were ferried out on the fishing boats .Think they were destroyers as they had Torpedo tubes !!
isit. They were destroyers and there might have been four of them. I remember the queues waiting at the fish dock for the ships boats to come in and transport the people out on visits, I went over with my father and I think it was about 1951/2. I have a cutting from the "GAZETTE", one of their 50 years ago items, on this somewhere, if I come across it I will give you the correct dates,
Alan J.