Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Hauxley Pit

I've spent a happy day at Woodhorn, browsing the Amble West Cemetery burials for pit deaths.
I found one I was looking for but noticed another possible two nearby, not mentioned on the DMM site for Hauxley and another couple associated with Shilbottle. They are:

George Tait of Long Row North, Radcliffe, miner, aged 72 buried 20 May 1925; John Hindhaugh of Leslie Row, Radcliffe, miner, aged 53, buried 29 May 1925.

George Arkle, of 4 Marine Road, Amble, miner, aged 56, died at Shilbottle Colliery and buried, 4 July 1968;
Robert Davison, of 10 St Cuthbert's Avenue, Amble, miner, aged 54, died at Shilbottle Colliery, and buried 30 October 1974.
Any of you wise heads know anything about these men?
Old 24-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Were the 1925 ones attributed to Hauxley, as living in Radcliffe they may have worked at Broomhill. As for George Arkle, he died on his way inbye one morning and Davison was a bath attendant who also died whilst at work, for record purposes they wouldn't be classed as being killed at the pit. There was also a former Radcliffe man, Ned Edminson, who died whilst underground. That would have been the late 60's to 1970. I was on 3pm shift that afternoon and when I got to the baths he had just been brought to bank. July 1968 saw another ex Hauxley man killed at Shilbottle, Fred Young, a deputy was hit by a fall of stone on his way inbye one backshift.
Old 24-04-2014, 08:34 PM

You're right AlanJ, I'd fixed on Hauxley because they were the associated deaths I was looking for. They aren't on the DMM Broomhill list either.

Thanks for the info for Shilbottle and, yes, I have Fred Young, buried at Amble on 23 July, he lived in Newburgh Street.
Old 25-04-2014, 03:30 PM

I need to pick Alan J's brain again. I have an Andrew Boyd of High Hauxley, killed at Shilbottle in February 1973. He is buried at Amble. There is another one listed on the DMM site, a Robert Henry York, killed round about the same time, but I've been unable to track his burial, It might be at Alnwick, I suppose, but the Woodhorn records don't go that late.
Might the wise ones have a bit more information with regard to those two?
Old 26-04-2014, 08:06 AM

Andy Boyd was a former Radcliffe and Hauxley colliery overman who was killed at Shilbottle shortly after I left the pits. Bob York was a coal filler at Shilbottle who was killed by a fall of stone about 1974. He was a Shilbottle lad who was married and lived in Alnwick so probably was buried there. He had the locker next to mine in the pithead baths and our paths crossed every fortnight when the backshifts coincided.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks again Alan, that's really helpful.