Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Default War Memorial - H Scott

I was doing a bit on one of my family trees, triggered by Wesley29's references to the Scott family (Henry Scott died WW1 and William H Scott WW2) . William H's mother was a Pringle and related to my maternal grandfather.
I couldn't find William H on the war memorial and then noticed he was down as "H" Scott. He is also commemorated at St Cuthbert's and the Duke School.
The CWG reference shows he was a flight sergeant, navigator, in 578 Squadron of the RAF Volunteer Reserve, died 13 August 1944, aged 20 and buried at Durnbach War cemetery, Bayern, Germany.
The NE War Memorials Project has a bit more: "Killed in Handley Page Halifax III NA 604 LK-T. It crashed near the village of Monchbruch, Germany, due to unknown causes." Reference is from Royal Air Force Bomber Command losses of the Second World War:1944 by WR Chorley.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Here's the church memorial anyway:

Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Wallace J. (John) on there was a twin. His brother Wilson Wallace was related to our mob through marriage. Wilson spent most of his life after the war in Sunderland but was a regular visitor to Amble and my family up until his death.

Wilson served I believe in the commandos in WW2; one day he was on a transport ship somewhere and suddenly out of the blue he was overcome with foreboding and grief. Sure enough he was later to find out that his twin John in the RAFVR had been killed at that exact moment.

John is buried in the West Cemetery. Originally from Radcliffe.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM

There's a little piece of gold on the NE War Memorials website, it is the book of remembrance at Alnwick Duke's School, which has a little biography of each of its old boys killed in World War 2.
This is the one for W H Scott: Harry only son of Henry and Catherine Scott of 59 High Street, Amble, born 29 August 1923, Amble school then Duke's from 9 September 1935 to 23 November 1940. Worked for R Carse and Son then joined RAFVR. Date of death 12/13 August 1944, aged 20.
At school he was known as a good swimmer and played football for the First X1. In the RAFVR he trained at East London, South Africa and became a flight sergeant navigator.
On night of 12/13 August 1944 he went missing, presumed killed, over Russelheim, Germany. A headstone was erected in Amble Cemetery, in his memory, he was three weeks short of his twenty first birthday. As well as being a navigator he was an aerial photographer and gained awards for his photography. One source says he was shot down while descending by parachute. He is buried at Durnbach cemetery, Bad Tolz, on the German border.