Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default War Memorial: G.E. Murray RND

Here is another Amble-Gallipoli casualty. George Ernest Murray, Hood Battalion Royal Naval Division.

He was killed in action 6th May 1915. He appears to have been mistakenly reported as wounded on that date. This was not corrected until 8th August, his NOK being informed the day after.

Known as Ernie Murray he lived at 1 Edwin Street. His NOK was his aunt, Miss Jane Darling in Marine Road. (there are closer relatives alive but Miss Darling is the one he gives)

he is erroneously shown as C.E. Murray on the Memorial clock, (and probably duplicated as E. Murray). On the Bede St memorial he is E. Murray. He is also commemorated on a stone in the East Cemetery.
Old 19-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Ernie Murray was probably involved in the Defence of Antwerp as he joined his battalion on the 9th September 1914.

He had previously served in the UK with the 7th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Default War Memorial

I've been doing a bit of family history research, involving Murries and I usually have a look at the East Cemetery records and the absent voters list. Well, as alway happens, it's sent me off at a tangent.

There is a headstone in the cemetery to Charles W and Ann Gray with a reference to George Ernest Murray as their son (killed in the Dardanelles in 1915 and on the war memorial). Only problem is he's not their son

George Ernest was the son of John and Margaret Murray and had three brothers, Robert A, John W and James. After his father's death his mother married Robert C Brown, stone mason of Amble. All the boys became masons.
This Brown is, I believe, the Brown of the Brown Memorial Hall.

So what is going on with that headstone
Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Administrator

did you see post #24 in this thread Janwhin?

I've puzzled over this chap as well.

On his service record, and entry dated 12.5.18 states: "D.C. No. 2994 sent to Major A. Murray Falapark, Uddingston, N.B."

I assume this is his Death Certificate. Uddingston appears to be in South Lanarkshire, so I'm not sure what the "N.B." is supposed to mean.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I'll move the posts out of the above thread and add them to this one later (So this Sailor has his own thread.)
Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
did you see post #24 in this thread Janwhin?

I've puzzled over this chap as well.

On his service record, and entry dated 12.5.18 states: "D.C. No. 2994 sent to Major A. Murray Falapark, Uddingston, N.B."

I assume this is his Death Certificate. Uddingston appears to be in South Lanarkshire, so I'm not sure what the "N.B." is supposed to mean.
I had seen the other post but forgotten about it. NB would be "North Britain" but didn't realise it was still being used in C20th.

Jane Darling, NOK, must have been a great aunt. Presumably his mother had died, but I'll check.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM

His mother had died in 1903 and in 1911 Ernie was living with his remarried stepfather. The other brothers were living with Charles William Gray as "relations". CW had married Ann Murray in 1900, their sister most likely....so that's the link to the headstone
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I don't know if anyone is interested in the military side of things but Ernie was a 2nd Battle of Krithia casualty. The Naval Brigade being in support of the French shown in blue on the attached map. This battle was another attempt to make some progress north from Helles. Ernie Murray would be at the opposite end of the peninsula to Philip Hall AIF discussed in another thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_second_battle_of_krithia_6_8_may_1915.jpg (112.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
His mother had died in 1903 and in 1911 Ernie was living with his remarried stepfather. The other brothers were living with Charles William Gray as "relations". CW had married Ann Murray in 1900, their sister most likely....so that's the link to the headstone
I'm impressed as usual. You make this stuff look easy!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 PM

I've had a look at the cemetery records and it looks like there was a family plot. His mother was buried in a deep grave C 09 and the Grays went into another deep one C 10. Seems to me there is an inscription missing from the headstone for the mother which would have tied it all together.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM

And the final link.....Ernie's parents were John Grey Murray and Margaret Isabella DARLING.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator

So is he a relative of Grace Darling? Where's that Darling thread?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've had a look at the cemetery records and it looks like there was a family plot. His mother was buried in a deep grave C 09 and the Grays went into another deep one C 10. Seems to me there is an inscription missing from the headstone for the mother which would have tied it all together.
Oops. looks like I have a photo missing on that page?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator

I've had a look through my pics and it has not been taken. I'll fix this tomorrow weather permitting. I can see on the other pics the east face does have an inscription.

Hey, I can be 'monumentally' useless at times!

[threads now merged]
Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I've had a look through my pics and it has not been taken. I'll fix this tomorrow weather permitting. I can see on the other pics the east face does have an inscription.
I hope it's there

Jane Darling the aunt was born in Craster, his mother was born in Alnmouth. Not the Amble Darlings then, but I'll have a firtle.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Sometimes you think everything goes round in circles. We had a thread recently on the Darlings associated with the Rolands and an elusive photograph, and its the same family.

Ernie's grandfather was Robert Darling, coastguard, born in Berwick, and in Amble 1861. Jane Darling (NOK) was Ernie's mother's older sister, never married.

We couldn't establish a link to the Grace Darling family, but who knows.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

missing image:

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Administrator

so something like this:

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Nice one, Coquet. A difficult headstone to interpret, Grays, Browns and Murray.

Lily Gray was the daughter of Charles W and Ann (granddaughter of Margaret Isabella (Brown)). Robert Darling married Ann Archbold in Embleton 1832.

Last edited by janwhin; 06-11-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: more information.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator

I've changed the front of that tree - is that the right Robert Darling at the beginning? I can't find the daughter Jane in the census?
[you might have to refresh the page to see the change]