Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default WW1 German POWs at Amble.

When war was declared three German vessels were in Amble Harbour:

S.S. Rhenania

Drei Gesehwister*

Emanuel

The crews were taken prisoner, the naval reservists I assume for the duration of the war, the civilian crew ended up in Alnwick Workhouse - what happened after that I do not know.

There is a photo, probably taken from Radcliffe Quay, of the three ships moored together on the mooring pier (the one that joins onto the Marina bund) with the Castle in the background.

A&C Gazette refers to this and the Excitement at Amble in the first week. Interesting that three torpedo boats appear to be allocated to the port:-

AMBLE, HARBOUR PROTECTED.
EXCITEMENT IN THE TOWN,
THREE CERMAN SHIPS SEIZED.

The excitement in the town of Amble, and indeed throughout the district this week has been intense. It reached its climax for the time being when war was declared between England and Germany.
Every unit of the Amble Section of the ‘E’ Company of the 7th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers was called out late on Tuesday night, and a section of them left by large motor char-a-banc at 1-30 on Wednesday morning for an unknown destination.
The staffs of the various public services in the town have been increased by expert operators. These offices are kept open night and day. The rail way station and the harbour are guarded by Territorials. Torpedo boats are lying constant at the mouth of the harbour. Three German vessels and three Swedish vessels are now in the harbour.
One Swedish steamer left this week, she carried about 20 passengers. Swedes and Norwegians, bound for Bergen. They had come from the vicinity of Newcastle not being able to get away from the Tyne.
Three German ships the S.S. Rhenania, the Drei Gesehwister (sailing ship), and Emanuel (sailing ship), had been seized by the customs on behalf of the Government as prizes of war. The staff at the coastguard station has been increased, also at the war signal, which lies further to the south on the links. They are kept busy day and night. Hundreds of the inhabitants of the town throng the jetties, the South Pier and the sea front from morning till late at night.
Whilst one of the Norwegian steamers was being landed on Tuesday, orders came to cease landing, and to-day (Thursday) a report is current that the harbour is closed to all shipping.
Business is practically at a standstill, Both collieries are idle and the latest items of news are discussed by the knots of people standing about the main streets.
The latest war news is issued by Mr. Winter and is pasted in the windows of his offices from time to time.

AMBLE

The News of the war, which is received at Amble by a service of the latest wires, in addition to the newspapers, is scanned with the keenest interest. Every day there are those who think they have heard cannonading in the North Sea. On Monday night the Amble people were much excited by a report. Happily it was without foundation.

The Territorial Force stationed at Amble, although always undergoing some change is being kept up to a high standard, and the harbour is well guarded both inside and out. Outside the three or four torpedo destroyers keep moving and overhaul every ship that appears on the horizon. This is most interesting to the people who throng the links and beach.

GERMANS IN ALNWICK WORKHOUSE.

Seven German and Swiss sailor are at present lodged in Alnwick Workhouse. They are part of the crews of three vessels which were lying in Amble harbour and were seized by the authorities the day after war was declared. Others of the crews being German reservists were sent to military detention station near Aldershot about a fortnight ago. All the aliens are well built men, the oldest being 43 years of age and the youngest 17. They are all extremely civil and respectful, and live very frugally, and it is said they are not destitute of money if they are without a home. Their ship it is reported was sold and as they had no place to go they were brought to Alnwick Workhouse, where they seem to be quite content, being kindly treated and have plenty of reading matter. Some of them can speak and read English but indifferently. They have the opportunity to read all about the war, but the subject is never uttered by one of them.

*"Drei Gesehwister" is probably a misspelling of "Drei Geschwister" = "Three Sisters"
Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The staff at the coastguard station has been increased, also at the war signal, which lies further to the south on the links. They are kept busy day and night.

So what is the "War Signal"? anyone?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Exciting times indeed. Just as well the Amble folks didn't know what an utter disaster the Great War was going to be for basically every family.

Would still love to be transported back in time and sit next to Cliff House watching those Torpedo Boats going about their business.

My uncle, who was a keen 'aqualung' diver in the 50s when no one else was doing it, pulled up a couple of gun shell cases near the harbour on a dive. I've not seen these for years but they are here somewhere. I will have to find them and see if they are WW1 or WW2. Might just be from the said Torpedo Boats. Think they are about 30 or 40mm.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Coquet, why do I get the impression that you have pitched a tent outside Alnwick library, to be first on the microfiche reader to view back copies of the Gazette?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Coquet, why do I get the impression that you have pitched a tent outside Alnwick library, to be first on the microfiche reader to view back copies of the Gazette?

I've had three trips to my Alnwick dentist in recent weeks. Got to make the most of the £1 parking fee