Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Angry Warkworth Harbour Commission Boundary Marker

Hi All,

Just noticed this morning someone has demolished the wall behind Cliff Cottage and the boundary marker which was within this wall is gone.

Think its this one of the three:

h**p://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1041892

Surely this is illegal since tall three are grade II listed structures?

Not sure who needs to know about this - the council or English Heritage?
Old 21-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

It might be in the planning application that they can temporarily move it while they build the houses on that site?

which one has gone, the one on the right in this picture?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_phot...ry_markers.htm
Old 21-09-2013, 10:34 AM

That's dreadful, the site http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk has the marker listed. It's English Heritage ID is 236712.

I think the Council has the responsibility on behalf of English Heritage. Amble has just got itself a new chairman, I think?
Old 21-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Funny I can't find any planning application for that area on the council website. That's classed as "Bay View" I believe? I was sure they were going to squeeze three houses on there?
Old 21-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Is someone unaware of the fact the are listed or just ignoring the issue and riding roughshod over it. The council or the commissioners themselves should be monitoring things like this.
Old 21-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Its the one on the right in the picture Coquet.

I too looked at planning applications for the site and couldn't find anything newer than the 2010 refusal for the three houses.

I also wondered (see the planning history) whether it was someone who knew of their status but just didn't care.

My real concern is whether it was damaged when removed (ie just smashed out) and where it is now - hopefully not lying in a scrapyard somewhere.

Not sure who needs to be informed but I'm pretty sure this ranks as very serious!

Last edited by Grim_up_North; 21-09-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 23-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Administrator

I had a look today as well and there is no sign of it. It could perhaps have been hidden out of the sight of the scrappies. The building blocks that formed the wall that was built up against it are there in a heap. It could possibly be buried under them, but I doubt it somehow.

I had thought that the site had been auctioned off with planning permission to build, but if there is nothing on-line on the council website, then I guess not.
Anyone know what's happening down there?
Old 23-09-2013, 08:51 PM

Have a wander into the Harbour Commissioner's Office and ask about it (it is their marker after all?), then inform the Town Clerk in the council office next door and see where it goes from there. It is our town heritage and it maybe in safe keeping somewhere, if not then questions need to be asked and the relevant authorities informed. Good luck
Old 24-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Harbour Commissioners Office have assured me that they know about it and it is in safe keeping.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Nice to know it has survived. There must have been a good number of those at one time.
Old 25-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Don't know who you spoke to in the WHC offices Hollydog but had a look down there this morning and found it lying on the ground (intact) between the detached garage and the Cliff Cottage property - wouldn't consider that a safe storage location as it doesn't appear as though anyone is living in the property at the moment. Anyone could pick it up and take it away - including any passing scrap dealers.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:15 PM

That what I was told by a lady when I enquired by phone..................
It certainly seems vulnerable as you say. Surely it belongs to the Harbour Commisioners? why don't you go in and tell them that their listed marker is in danger from scrappies etc.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_up_North View Post
Don't know who you spoke to in the WHC offices Hollydog but had a look down there this morning and found it lying on the ground (intact) between the detached garage and the Cliff Cottage property - wouldn't consider that a safe storage location as it doesn't appear as though anyone is living in the property at the moment. Anyone could pick it up and take it away- including any passing scrap dealers.
I wouldn't like to have an argument with the person who could just "pick it up and take it away" they would have to be built like the Hulk.

Tags
amble, boundary, cliff house, listed building, whc