Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Braid Anchor

Does anyone know the history of the Anchor at the entrance to the Braid /Marina.

There used to be a plaque on it but this has been pulled off.
The intention is that this will be moved before the Tesco development and it would be useful to have any information so an appropriate plaque can be made for the new plinth.
Old 13-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Town Council Minutes 13 June 2013

It had been agreed by Warkworth Parish Council that the Anchor on the Braid could be moved to Coquet Yacht Club who would take responsibility for it. A new plaque would be placed on it.

As for its origins, not sure, there were a few anchors lying about the harbour, one next to the pier on the the little shore for instance.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Administrator

I think it's highly likely the anchor on the Braid and the one chained to a tree at the Marina pub entrance (building now an antique shop) are the ones from the Little Shore. They were the 'wrong side' of the wooden pier so to speak, so they must pre-date it (1905?)

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/old_photos...amble_pier.htm
Old 13-08-2013, 07:07 PM

I'm involved in the Yacht Club which was the reason for the question. What to put on the new plaque? Perhaps it is unknown or insignificant but it would be interesting if anyone knew what was on the original or even better if there was a photograph.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Anchor moved

The anchor on the Braid was moved in January 2014 to beside the Yacht Club. Requests were made for information on the anchor.

I received an email from an ex chairman of Alnwick District Council 1984-86. He said:

"I was made aware that an anchor was available at premises in Ashington. It was duly purchased and installed at the entrance to the Braid. In June 1986 it was unveiled by Lord Vinson to mark the opening of the Marina."