Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

 We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM
leslie leslie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 223
Default East Cemetery

This last week Men from The Commonwealth War Graves Commision Have been reinstating the headstone on thr grave of Military Police Crackett in East Cemetery,
this was moved to west cemetery several years ago, But The remains were left interred in east cemetery





Last edited by Coquet; 13-05-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Add pictures I took today - hope this is ok!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
leslie leslie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 223
Default

I remember as a lad looking at the German War Graves in East Cemetery, my memory recalls thre but only two on record, One was exhumed in 1962, whether repatriated to Germany or reintered at Chevington , This one was identified and named on the Grave cross, Next to him was body of another german washed up on beach as first mentioned was , but never identified, no record if he was exhumed so possibly still there with no Marker , anyone else remember these and any info as to where are now, i understand they were both Luftwaffa.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

Hi Leslie, in the East Cemetery transcription there is

"FELDWEBEL Grobka, aged 45, buried 1941-10-15", I remember marking that one in blue, to remind me to see if I could find anything else about this burial. (not yet done!)

"Feldwebel" is the German Rank of Sergeant so this entry needs more investigation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

there's also a German burial discussed here:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...read.php?t=132

A Captain Matsen 1903, Janwhin found some info on his demise in the newspaper archive which is also in that thread.

he does have a headstone, or what's left of it, again photo in that thread above.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

There's another burial :

WEEN, Ingvard 32 1940-04-19


but that looks Scandinavian to me. Anyway, I bet that burial will have a wartime story too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

And the wartime 'unknown' you mention looks like it will be this one:

"UNKNOWN aged 30/40 1941-11-01"


our list doesn't even state sex for that one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Alan J. Alan J. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amble
Posts: 338
Default Grobka grave.

I remember this one, just over the wall next to where the swings were when we were kids.
It was a simple white wooden cross which has since disappeared, probably through age. I wonder why these graves have not been looked after, officially, as the ones in Chevington cemetery have been.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
leslie leslie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
I remember this one, just over the wall next to where the swings were when we were kids.
It was a simple white wooden cross which has since disappeared, probably through age. I wonder why these graves have not been looked after, officially, as the ones in Chevington cemetery have been.

I remember three there . I know one was exhumed in 1960 s , one was unknown , I wonder if the third was the Scandanavian person , First over wall from swings in corner
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
janwhin janwhin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nr Eglingham
Posts: 1,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
There's another burial :

WEEN, Ingvard 32 1940-04-19


but that looks Scandinavian to me. Anyway, I bet that burial will have a wartime story too.
The further information on the burial register, Coquet, says he is a Norwegian sailor from Warkworth Harbour.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM
janwhin janwhin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nr Eglingham
Posts: 1,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
One was exhumed in 1962, whether repatriated to Germany or reintered at Chevington , This one was identified and named on the Grave cross, Next to him was body of another german washed up on beach as first mentioned was , but never identified, no record if he was exhumed so possibly still there with no Marker , anyone else remember these and any info as to where are now, i understand they were both Luftwaffa.
Leslie, as you say, both bodies were found on the beach within a couple of weeks of each other. Grobka was exhumed on 29 June 1962, as you say. The unknown was never exhumed, the only reference is that they were aged 30/40. It's sad that his grave never warranted an unknown German airman stone. Strange that CWG has never got involved. His grave was the next plot to Grobka.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13-05-2013, 04:16 AM
brownknees brownknees is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Posts: 76
Default Luftwaffe

I have in my possesion a luftwaffe lapel badge that had three Eagles(Feldwebel?),my mother said it came from a washed up body,wonder if it was one?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
I have in my possesion a luftwaffe lapel badge that had three Eagles(Feldwebel?),my mother said it came from a washed up body,wonder if it was one?
Interesting, yes they did wear cloth badges of stylised three eagle shapes stacked vertically as a rank mark. So a lapel badge of similar design would be logical.

Can you scan it and post a picture brownknees?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

I've added a couple of pics to Leslie's opening post (hope you don't mind). The Crackett grave is in that corner next to the old swings as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-05-2013, 03:00 PM
janwhin janwhin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nr Eglingham
Posts: 1,342
Default

It looks very lonely. Still the council won't be able to flatten that one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14-05-2013, 06:17 AM
brownknees brownknees is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Posts: 76
Default

I think the Luftwaffe badge may be in the UK at my daughters ,I can ask her to look for it!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-05-2013, 10:44 AM
janwhin janwhin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nr Eglingham
Posts: 1,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
I remember three there . I know one was exhumed in 1960 s , one was unknown , I wonder if the third was the Scandanavian person , First over wall from swings in corner
I've just had a look on the cemetery register to see whether the plot numbers indicate a foreign group. Certainly Grobka and the unknown were in B39 and B40. Our Norwegian, Ween, was in B20. Interestingly, the new CWG headstone for Sydney Crackett is B22.

Wasn't this side of the cemetery for non conformists? I know my Methodist ancestors were over there.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20-09-2013, 09:41 PM
dcrackett dcrackett is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
This last week Men from The Commonwealth War Graves Commision Have been reinstating the headstone on thr grave of Military Police Crackett in East Cemetery,
this was moved to west cemetery several years ago, But The remains were left interred in east cemetery




Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've just had a look on the cemetery register to see whether the plot numbers indicate a foreign group. Certainly Grobka and the unknown were in B39 and B40. Our Norwegian, Ween, was in B20. Interestingly, the new CWG headstone for Sydney Crackett is B22.

Wasn't this side of the cemetery for non conformists? I know my Methodist ancestors were over there.
You're probably correct.My Uncle Sydney Crackett was a Methodist, as were all of my other ancestors buried in the plot shown in the photograph. His headstone has now been returned to the same location as his remains, since the CWGC now considers the East Cemetery a suitable place for a soldier to be interred. Thanks to the efforts of Amble Town Council there will be a dedication ceremony on 2nd November 2013 with the Methodist Minister present.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22-09-2013, 07:06 PM
brownknees brownknees is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Posts: 76
Default Luftwaffe badge

This badge was given to my mother from a washed up Luftwaffe airman.There were originaly three birds but one was lost!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miscsept 245.jpg (81.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Coquet's Avatar
Coquet Coquet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amble
Posts: 3,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
This badge was given to my mother from a washed up Luftwaffe airman.There were originaly three birds but one was lost!
I've not seen one of those before. Are the eagles made of aluminium?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16-10-2013, 11:21 AM
leslie leslie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 223
Default

WWII German Feldwebel Collar Tabs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWII_German_Feldwebel_Collar_Tabs.jpg (104.1 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.