Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Default North East War Memorials Project

I'm sure a lot of people will be aware of the war memorials project which is a great source of information for locating names. I've just been having a look with regard to Henry Hebron(another post) when I came across the Alnwick Gazette Almanack of 1918 which has been transcribed on the site. It lists names, home locations and has photographs for those who died in the First War or received honours. The copy that the site is using has the last few pages missing.

Honours: Sgt Joe Baston, Amble MM; Cpl J Chapman, Broomhill MM; Sgt Adam Tait, Amble DCM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Re; Cpl J Chapman

Is this man the same one who ran a clothes shop in Red Row post war?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Yes, I believe that to be the case
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Default Re John Chapman MM

I remember going into his shop from a very early age. A very attentive, polite man he had almost every kind of clothing a man or woman wished.
My wife just related to me, while I was serving overseas she stayed with my parents at Hadston. An avid knitter she used to buy her wool from John. She couldn't afford to pay for it all in one go so he used to put some of it to one side untill, probably the following week,she could pay the differance.
I believe that when he retired his shop became 'The Corn Dolly'.
All what seems a lifetime ago but good days none the less.
Thanks John@theDrift.

Last edited by Derilda; 06-05-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Default John Chapman

He was a great friend of my uncle, Bill Whinham. When my uncle died in 1982 he sent a lovely letter to the family, apologising for not coming to the funeral. This was when he was 93 and living in a care home in Whitley Bay
Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM

I have a poignant reminder of WW1 which we found in the loft of the Amble House stables, now my dad's garage.It is, I believe, a recruiting banner from 1914? as it quotes the last two lines of Kiplings "For all we have and are" published in the Times in September 1914 as a call to arms.

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poet...e_and_are.html

http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_forall1.htm

In all likelihood it was displayed in Amble in the early months of the war, and, maybe, helped to inspire the local lads into the Northumberland Fusiliers which Coquet is admirably remembering on another thread.
Almost 99 years ago now, possibly a direct link to those dark days? Any thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5110007.jpg (82.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 11-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

That probably went down Queen Street with a large body of enthusiastic women behind it. A rare survivor - ideal for the 'War' section of the Amble Heritage Museum. (if we had one!)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
I have a poignant reminder of WW1 which we found in the loft of the Amble House stables, now my dad's garage.It is, I believe, a recruiting banner from 1914? as it quotes the last two lines of Kiplings "For all we have and are" published in the Times in September 1914 as a call to arms.

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poet...e_and_are.html

http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_forall1.htm

In all likelihood it was displayed in Amble in the early months of the war, and, maybe, helped to inspire the local lads into the Northumberland Fusiliers which Coquet is admirably remembering on another thread.
Almost 99 years ago now, possibly a direct link to those dark days? Any thoughts anyone?

Next Year Is Centenary of onset of WW! , there is to be a service/Parade held to commemorate this, It would be a fitting Tribute if this banner could be displayed that day some where, The town council is organising .
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
That probably went down Queen Street with a large body of enthusiastic women behind it. A rare survivor - ideal for the 'War' section of the Amble Heritage Museum. (if we had one!)
Well Coquet I have found a picture of it today on a postcard. It seems Warkworth has a connection to it as well!
It may be from behind but it certainly looks like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 BANNER2.jpg (147.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Bannertoday.jpg (66.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Splendid! Is that Warkworth in the picture do you think?

You can almost feel the enthusiasm for the war in that crowd. Could be exactly a hundred years ago that photo?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 PM

Its august 1915 welcoming home the first wounded to Warkworth - I am having difficulty posting the full pic as it is 36mb - I will e-mail you a smaller copy. In the meantime how can I upload it?

Last edited by hollydog; 07-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Hi John, easier to email if it will go. I'll can then put it in your post. I have a limit set on the server for all uploads to stop things getting out of control, I can alter it but it is a faff.

[you will probably see a message like "token not found" when the upload max is exceeded]
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Hi John, easier to email if it will go. I'll can then put it in your post. I have a limit set on the server for all uploads to stop things getting out of control, I can alter it but it is a faff.

[you will probably see a message like "token not found" when the upload max is exceeded]
e-mailed to abcutter address

Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Administrator

[it's in the above post, you might have to refresh the page to see it.]

Different world then, eh?