Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 23-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Coquet Island and the Darlings

I thought I'd have a look at the Grace Darling link to Amble when I was having a look for Supercol's ancestors, so here goes.
It has been said that Grace Darling caught a chill that lead to her death when going across to Coquet Island to see her brother. She died of TB. Her brother was William Horsley Darling and he was the light keeper on the Island at the time of the 1851 census, he was supposed to be the first one. By 1861he was on the Farnes.
One of his children was called Job Horsley Darling, born in Alnwick in 1840. This chap was a mariner and finally married a much younger Amble lass, Grace Turner, in 1880. They were living at 25 Percy Street in 1891, with a son, Albert. Job died in 1896 and Grace remarried, living with her husband called Dunnett in Henderson Street in 1901. She had 2 Darling children, Albert and Grace.
Job is buried in Amble East Cemetery, the famous Grace Darling's nephew. Sons Albert and William are buried there too.

Last edited by janwhin; 23-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 23-01-2013, 04:12 PM

Shields Gazette of Tuesday 25 August 1896 states: "Death of Grace Darling's nephew:-A nephew of the heroine Grace Darling, died at Amble last Tuesday night. A niece, Miss Thomasine Darling, still resides at that town."
Old 23-01-2013, 04:55 PM

On the 1881 census Job Horsley Darling was an able seaman on board the Gloriana, docked at Milton, Gravesend in Kent. The Gloriana, according to "Sailing Ships of Aln and Coquet" was launched in 1860 from the Amble yard of Sanderson and Leighton. She was described as a beautiful model brig intended for the Southern trade. By the late 1870s she was doing regular runs to Calais.

On the same census, Job's wife was at home in Amble, a mariner's wife.
Old 23-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Grace Darling's brother William was replaced as the keeper on Coquet Island by their youngest brother William Brooks Darling (confusing) who was there with his family at the 1861 census. Thomasin Darling, mentioned in the Shields Gazette, was his daughter.
Old 23-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Nice work.

There's an Albert Darling (4 Leazes Street) on the absent voters list. He received a Silver war badge for wounds or sickness, so if it's the same Albert that is buried in the East Cemetery in 1920, I would not be surprised if his early death at 33 had something to do with his war service.

(Edit to add: Although he should have been recognised by the CWGC with that date of death, many of these later casualties are missed.)
Old 23-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Must be the same one, the burial record has him living in Leazes Street. He's buried in the same plot as his father. Wonder if there was ever a headstone?
Old 23-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Must be the same one, the burial record has him living in Leazes Street. He's buried in the same plot as his father. Wonder if there was ever a headstone?

Highly likely I would say.

This photo (1960s?) shows quite a high density of stones compared to today. what's happened to them all?
Old 23-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Good photo, the cemetery entrance has still got all its buildings, when were they demolished?
At least you managed to put a copy of Arthur Young's painting on the cemetery page. I wonder if anybody has any photos??

Last edited by janwhin; 23-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 24-01-2013, 02:11 PM

The Chapels were demolished in 1971 for safety reasons as they had fallen into a poor state of repair.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Good photo, the cemetery entrance has still got all its buildings, when were they demolished?
At least you managed to put a copy of Arthur Young's painting on the cemetery page. I wonder if anybody has any photos??
Apologies (again) if anyone has seen this before but Janwhin did ask! I believe it is possibly the church can anyone confirm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg east cem.jpg (24.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 24-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Default East cemetery.

The two buildings either side of the steeple were what were termed as mortuary chapels, one for C of E and the other for non conformists. There must have been some burials down there in my lifetime but I cannot say that I remember them being anything other than out of use.

Old 24-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Its a very attractive building of unusual design. What a crying shame it's been destroyed.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:05 PM

What an excellent picture. I reckon there is a good chance the white crossed, three tiered grave centre picture is my great great grandfather and family, it is currently in about the correct position (certainly not been moved since the seventies) Photo from the East Cemetary gallery of this sister site.
Interesting stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young.jpg (136.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 24-01-2013, 10:16 PM

I knew I could rely on Hollydog to come up with the goods but what a bonus Alan J's provided. Lots of headstones, brilliant
Old 31-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Amble East Cemetery

Thanks to Fusilier there is a list of burials, but does anybody know of a plot plan? Sad that most of the stones have vanished.
Old 31-01-2013, 10:53 AM

According to the Cemeteries Management Committee minutes of the council, an East cemetery map has been archived. That might mean it has gone to Woodhorn.
Since we put the burial index on Fusilier, the council have been less than happy with Woodhorn, so maybe I'm just being optimistic