Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Smile New Member

Hello Everyone.....who am i?..well I was born in Ashington in 1970 and lived in Amble at 16 Edwin Street until about 1976 when my family moved to North Humberside near Hull. My Father worked in Amble as a Plumber for Rowles. My Fathers parents lived in Amble at 4 Lindisfarne road next door to Bill Bell and Mr and Mrs Lillico , Mrs Straffen lived opposite them in a large bungalow. They were in their eighty's when they moved nearer to the family near Hull.
My Grandfather ran a tobacconist and confectionary shop in Amble where Marks Pet supplies is now (Thanks Google Street Maps).
My grandmother was born in Warkworth where her parents ran a bakers ( I believe)
We brought my grandparents ashes back "home" and up until a few years ago was still a regular visitor to Amble - but sadly not for the past few years as we now have a young family.
Still in love with the coast line and castles and have many happy memories of my life spent up in Amble and surrounding area.
Will be showing the kids around the area sometime this year - fingers crossed.

..anyway...that's me.
Old 19-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Hi Supercol great to see you on here.Hope you find things of interest and any contributions are most welcome, I was born and bred on Bede St in the 70s - had many a lucky bag from your grandfather's on the way back from Dovecote st/Cross st/Edwin st schools!
Rowell's plumbing is now Amble Gas Services - Basil and Alan Rowell's younger generation. Alan passed away earlier this year, following Basil a couple of years ago.
Old 20-01-2013, 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=Supercol;1501My Grandfather ran a tobacconist and confectionary shop in Amble where Marks Pet supplies is now (Thanks Google Street Maps).
[/QUOTE]

Welcome Supercol. I remember your grandfather's shop. also its predecessor...Billy Thompson's sweet shop. I was always sent off on Sunday evening to get some sweets at that shop ready for when we played cards.
When I was at Edwin Street school there used to be a sweet shop up the back lane between Albert and Edwin Street, Mr and Mrs Wilkinson's I think. All the sweets were in a glass fronted dresser in their back kitchen. It was a challenge to see how many we could get for 3d. on a Friday.
Old 20-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Default Other Stuff

Les Baston was My dads Best Man at his wedding , is he still driving trucks? His dad had a transport company at the bottom of the Wynd. Will try to get some slides scanned as I remember being on a float for the palygroup dressed as a diddy man....ah....it's all coming back to me now..... I also remember when it was Lifeboat day - the whole place was buzzing..there used to be all sorts going on - even a greasy pole competition, think it was on the braid.....anyone remember that.
Dad also used to be an amateur rallycross driver and was a friend of Mick Breeze who used to have a Garage in amble off the back of Turner street I think.
Old 20-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Les is still driving with a garage on the industrial estate. His old Seddon Atkinson is becoming a celebrity for truck spotters with enthusiasts often taking pictures of it!
Mick Breeze sold his Turner st garage to developers, and now helps at his son's bike shop on the industrial estate. A couple of pics for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breeze.jpg (10.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg les baston.jpg (61.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 20-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks for that Hollydog. Does anyone know if Ken and Dot Martin are still living in Amble, they were down Church street. My Mother was best friends with Dot. Ken used to be in the fire brigade but I think must be retired now. They had 2 children the same age as me and my brother, Colin and Valerie were their names and they used to have a Springer Spaniel called Ceaser.
Old 20-01-2013, 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=janwhin;1505]Welcome Supercol. I remember your grandfather's shop.

Was it called Kennedy's sweet shop? Those were the days, being able to run a small shop making a living out of a few jars of sweets and some baccy!
Old 20-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Norman Kennedy's it was.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Default Ken and Dot Martin.

Have recently moved from Church Street to a bungalow on the estate off Percy Drive near the allotments. I remember Norman Kennedy having his shop after Billy Thompson retired. Prior to that Norman worked in the "store" at both the West end branch and Radcliffe. He was often seen , on a Sunday afternoon, with his wife, out for a walk along the Warkworth road.
I also remember Les living in Edwin Street and working as a plumber at Rowells.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Yep, Norman was my Grandad and his wife was called Theodosia (you don't see that everyday now...)
Old 21-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Other shops in Amble

I remember these ones from when I was young...Walter Wilsons- Grocers, The Bread Bin - sold bread, The Gift Shop- sold gifts, The Wool Shop - sold wool....not very imaginative names back then but I do remember seeing fish getting landed down at the harbour - is there much of a fleet going out of amble now or is it more pleasure craft from the marina?
Old 21-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Default Kennedy's Sweet Shop

My Grandad worked his socks off there - worked 7 days a week...we used to go and fetch him on a Sunday lunchtime when his dinner was ready - he used to slip us both a few sweets and tell us "divn't tell ya mam...she'll kill uz"...but we always did.....heh heh.

Wasn't there a Boots on the opposite corner of the street?
Old 21-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercol View Post
Yep, Norman was my Grandad and his wife was called Theodosia (you don't see that everyday now...)
Well now, Supercol, the reason you have a Theodosia is because of the Hendersons. My grandmother was Theodosia and her mother was Theodosia nee Henderson. Theodosia Henderson's brother Henry was your 2x gt grandfather. Scary
Old 22-01-2013, 07:56 AM

My Grans maiden name was Darling, do you know anything about that side?
Old 22-01-2013, 10:33 AM

I noticed a John Darling married Annie Henderson but I don't know anyhting about them. Very strong local name though. I can do a bit of looking if you haven't got access to the family history sites
Old 22-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Please, if you get chance, Granma always said that they were related to Grace Darling, need to get access to Family History stuff on line.
Old 23-01-2013, 12:39 PM

I'm afraid there's no Grace Darling connection, unless its way back Your grandmother's parents were John George Darling and Annie Henderson. John was a stoneman in the pit and they married in 1904. In 1911 they were living in the Stanners at Warkworth. John was born at Embleton in 1878, the son of Robert Darling and Isabella Dixon. They married in Howick in 1869. Robert was a farm steward. Robert was born 1846 at South Farm, Howick, where his father was a hind. His parents were Robert and Elizabeth. This Robert was born at Chatton in 1815, the son of Richard and Jane.
That's as far as I can get online using the census and some IGI stuff.
I recall my mother saying that she was almost called Theodosia but a cousin got there first....this was your grandmother, who was born the same year in Warkworth
Old 23-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Supercol, re the Grace Darling connection. Apparently her father, grandfather and great grandfather were all natives of Belford. Her father was born in 1786. Maybe Richard, having children in Chatton, was related. Chatton and Belford are next door to each other
Old 24-01-2013, 10:05 PM

That is Fantastic - I can't thank you enough for getting this information for me....was this from a website?
Old 24-01-2013, 10:12 PM

The basic stuff is from a combination of Ancestry and Find my Past, that gets census and bmd details. The Mormons or Family Search have free access on their website to the Bishops Transcripts registers for Northumberland, or you can do a general search by name and that sometimes turns baptisms and marriages up. The Grace Darling family stuff I googled, turns out someone has put together her family history. That's it.
Now the Hendersons, they're much more interesting