Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 18-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Harbour

Good photograph in this week's Alnwick Gazette of the staiths, boats and harbour. They're asking for some dating help
Old 18-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Tons of Sail in there; my guesstimate 1888.
Old 19-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Just spotted the self same photograph in Morrison and Rylance's book about Amble. They've put a date of 1890s in there, suitably vague.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Red face Shipbuilding in Amble

I am reading a book written by local man, pen name Glen Aln. He states that shipbuilding began in Amble in 1798 with the launch of a ship, "Chevington Oak" which was built of wood from Chevington Woods.
Can anyone verify this?
Old 24-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Apparently this story appeared in McAndrews book about Amble. Interestingly in the book Sailing Ships of Aln and Coquet, the author Richard Keys has tried to verify it.
He says: "The only vessel I have come across with a name anything like this is a 145 ton brig Chivington Oak which according to her Newcastle Customs House register was not Coquet but Aln built. The register gives her year of build as 1811. Blyth owned from 1814 she was wrecked near Dunkirk on 31 August 1833."
He doesn't dismiss the story but he can't find evidence to support it.
Old 25-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Question Amble boat building

Thanks janwhin. There still seems to be some anomalies between authors. Glen Aln says,"On 13th March 1765, a ship of 300 tons burthen was launched at Alnmouth-and spurred to activity-Amble followed suit in 1798 and launched the Chevington Oak, so named because the timber used was got from Chevington woods."
I cannot argue with your author either. His name for the Alnmouth launched boat is how locals would have pronounced Chevington, just as the name 'Ambell' evolved into it's current form.
Seems a shame but we seem to have run out of eye-witnesses to the two launches in question!!
Interestingly, and you will note that I am very new to this part of our history, Glen Aln says that just a week later "in the third week of March, 1765, swollen with a sudden thaw of snow, the river burst through the sand hills near or at its present outlet." That was regarding the Alnmouth launch and going straight onto the changing course of Coquet. Having questioned his previous statement about the launching, I am now wondering if this and other dates are correct.
I would value any comments from members.
Old 25-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Well we have got some "eye witnesses" with regard to the changing course of the Coquet

Leeds Intelligencer 9 April 1765:
"We are informed from Warkworth...that towards the mouth of the Coquet, the river has altered its course, and opened a passage into the sea about a mile nearer than formerly; and as the current by this means runs in a much straighter direction, the channel is thereby greatly deepened, and the flowing tides enter with so much more advantage, that the river must soon, by the mere force of nature, become navigable for ships of considerable burthen; and by the proper help of art (under the directions of a skilful engineer) an excellent harbour may be effectually made...."
Old 25-01-2013, 04:49 PM

The same article goes on to discuss Alnmouth (Alemouth):
"At this place are built a great number of the finest granaries in the North, and a vast quantity of corn is shipped for exportation. The importation of merchant goods is also very considerable. And on Wednesday the 13th instant, a new ship of near 300 tons, was launched at that place, supposed to be the first ever built there....."

My 4 x great grandfather, Henry Henderson was a Warkworth merchant. In his will in 1805 he left his 5% annuities in the Alnwick Shipping Company to his son and son in law. I guess this company was something to do with the Alnmouth trade.
The corn for the Alnmouth granaries came over the "Corn Road" from Hexham.
Old 25-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Well we have got some "eye witnesses" with regard to the changing course of the Coquet

Leeds Intelligencer 9 April 1765:
"We are informed from Warkworth...that towards the mouth of the Coquet, the river has altered its course, and opened a passage into the sea about a mile nearer than formerly; and as the current by this means runs in a much straighter direction, the channel is thereby greatly deepened, and the flowing tides enter with so much more advantage, that the river must soon, by the mere force of nature, become navigable for ships of considerable burthen; and by the proper help of art (under the directions of a skilful engineer) an excellent harbour may be effectually made...."

That's a surprise. The sand had hardly settled on the new river bed and that reporter is accurately predicting the future. Definitely deserves a gold star!