Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Merchant Seamen

Noticed today that Ancestry have launched a new set of records. These are the certificates for Masters and Mates covering the period 1850 to 1927. I've looked at one of my ancestors and there are 2 certificates, for mate (1864) and then master (1867), together with certificates of competence signed off at Amble, by a Wm? Arkless, superintendant. The examination was passed at Dundee.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Administrator

And you can search by birthplace alone, so you can list the Amble born Mates and Masters.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Janwhin, I have at least 2 masters directly related from that era who must have known your relative as one of mine passed at Dundee in the late 1860's as well!
Captain James Young, Amble Coastguard and one of his sons - who is one I need help on please !! William Neil Young born Craster 1858 went off and married in South Africa, had a family, fought in the Boer War but appeared back in Amble in 1912 (a postcard record) It is the last any of us including the South African family have any record of him!! Thanks to the deaths at sea register I have found him recorded as passing away on the SS Hyltonia a collier, Elyth (Blyth?) 15 june 1918 age 61, still a ships master perhaps?
Can anyone tell me where to look next for details - would he be buried in Blyth? or at sea? any suggestions appreciated thanks

Last edited by hollydog; 14-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 15-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Hollydog, have you access to the Ancestry records? I've just had a quick look and there is quite a lot on there. He even says where he served in the Boer War. I would have thought local newspapers would be a good source for his death, he could have been buried at sea or elsewhere in the country. I'll have a better think tomorrow....pub calling
Old 15-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks Janwhin enjoy your pint! , I went with Findmypast - not familiar with Ancestry unfortunately. He was a colourful character by all accounts What were the local papers in 1918? we wonder if he was buried in Blyth. I would go to Woodhorn but I need to know what to look for!
Old 16-09-2012, 11:41 AM

There is an application in July 1911 for a replacement master's certificate, which your man says was lost in 1901 during the Boer War. He was serving in East Transvaal, South Africa, as a trooper in the 2nd Imperial Light Horse.
He came back to England in 1911, serving as an able seaman on the Kildonan Castle, running the Cape mail from Cape Town to Plymouth. (7-24 June).
It looks to me like it was Blyth he died at, there is a death registration in Tynemouth registration district in June quarter, 1918.
The best newspaper is probably the Morpeth Herald, Woodhorn isn't great for newspapers but Morpeth library has a full set. Otherwise I guess a look through cemetery records for Blyth at Woodhorn.
Old 18-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Thanks again for your help Jan - we now know he was buried at Blyth Links June 17th 1918 in an unmarked grave!. There must be a story to this as there were quite a few family members in Amble at the time.
So its off to Cowpen Cemetery offices to get a map and find the plot. The plot thickens - excuse the pun!
Old 18-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Nice one, Hollydog, enjoy your visit to Cowpen

It is a strange case, isn't it, he presumably couldn't keep his reappearance secret when he came to Blyth, it's too close to Amble to go unnoticed.
Did he die in the Thomas Knight hospital?
Old 18-09-2012, 07:42 PM

I forgot to ask, how did you find out where he was buried?
Old 18-09-2012, 08:05 PM

NCC cemetery page has contact details. The advice they give for family researchers is go to Woodhorn pre 1900 or contact the cemetery directly for deaths after this date. So I took a punt and rang the Blyth office listed and a helpful lady rang back after looking up relevant details for me. If I told her when I was coming she would print off a plot map ready.
She reckoned they could charge upto £48 for this service if a lot of time was undertaken which is understandable, mine was easy so no charge, therefore a box of chocolates is in order when I go!

We are now wondering where he was in the nine years from the Boer war to re-applying for the Masters certificate in 1911 (the information you found us), if he was working on ships why did it take this long to reapply? My dad reckons he probably went wandering up to the gold fields! we will probably never know, although I have a number of poor handwritten letters to decipher from 1900s I will let you know if anything interesting comes up.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Amble man accidental death Blyth Harbour

To give an update - if anyone is interested. Today received a copy death certificate for Wm N Young and cause of death is " heart failure following on pneumonia caused by immersion in the river Blyth due to accidental fall" 15 June 1918.

I would imagine falling into Blyth harbour was not a pleasant experience in those days and it certainly did for him!
I would really like to know the circumstances surrounding the event though
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Blyth Library has:

"Blyth News 1900 - 1982"

on microfilm

On the subject of his South African military service (service papers) you could contact the South African Department of Defence,
see this page, the paragraph at the bottom:

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/...the_public.htm
Department of Defence Archives, Schweikert Building, 20 Visagie Street, Pretoria and the telephone number is (012) 339-4600; Fax (012) 339 4631
The will be very used to requests for service details I'm sure.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Have you got his Medal Card for WW1? (He would also be entitled to the 'Boer War' Queen's South Africa Medal, and perhaps the King's South Africa Medal)
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
I would imagine falling into Blyth harbour was not a pleasant experience in those days and it certainly did for him!
I would really like to know the circumstances surrounding the event though
You should find a coroner's inquest report in one of the local papers. Alternatively there might be surviving coroners' records at Woodhorn. I know that they don't have the North Northumberland ones but you might be lucky with Blyth.