Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Mormons in Radcliffe

I wonder if anyone has any family memory about Mormons being active in Radcliffe. From a contact I had a few years ago, it appears that the Mormons sent missionaries to Britain in the 1850s. An elder en route to Scotland, converted a Matthew Young in 1856. Meetings were held in Matthew's home in Long Row, Radcliffe and a number of conversions were made. There was, apparently, a lot of friction between the Methodists and the Mormons in Radcliffe.
3 families emigrated to Utah in 1863 on board the Cynosure, from Liverpool, these were Shipley and Taylor, from Radcliffe and a Moore from Bilton, Lesbury. The Shipleys kept a family diary of their journey from Liverpool to New York and then across land to Utah. Quite an epic, especially as it was in the middle of the American Civil War.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Administrator

someone appears to be working on a book of the 'one off' 1851 religious census for our area but it's too early for the period you mention.

http://www.boydellandbrewer.com/stor...dproduct=14082

includes "Church of England clergyman too drunk to complete the return".
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
The Shipleys kept a family diary of their journey from Liverpool to New York and then across land to Utah.
Is any of that online ?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM

I am not aware of anything online for the Mormons. The reference I have is, I believe, in the hands of the family (Thomas Shipley's Book of Recollections). There are also apparently, a Mormon Immigration Index, Mormon Emigrant Companies and something called the Daughters of Utah.