Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Other Northumberland Miscellanea

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default Alexander Fowler, Geologist.....or not??

Some time back I came into the possession of a number of boxes of books, mining and geology subjects. Many of these books have the owner's signature, 'A. Fowler' on the endpapers, there is also addressed correspondence to this person.

So it would be reasonable to assume these belonged to 'A. Fowler'. This is in fact Alexander Fowler the Geologist that wrote the Geology Memoir of this area - "The Geology of the Country around Rothbury, Amble and Ashington" published in 1935.

There are a number of other papers written by him in this collection.

Alex Fowler's signature on his copy of 'Coal Measure Plants':

Old 31-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Administrator

So my point. In this lot is a one solitary photo of a distinguished looking gentleman. What I would like to know is, is this Alexander Fowler or not?

I've searched online high and low for a photo but no luck.

This is the British Geological Survey page on him:
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeol...d&personId=224

Not much use.

He turns up on the 1939 Register, with his wife Lilian, at 15 Cleaside Avenue , South Shields. Born 8th August 1893, a Geological Surveyor.

I've had a spot of bother trying to find birth location or 1901 and 1911 census entries.

From the death indexes he appears to have died in Grantham Lincolnshire in 1980. This is almost certainly him, as in the collection are letters addressed to him at Cranwell Village, Sleaford; which is 14 mile from Grantham.
Old 31-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Administrator

OK then. The photo, presented to the power of the internet to solve, one way or the other:

Is this Alexander Fowler M.A. B.Sc., Geological Surveyor, 1893 - 1980. Or not??

Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 AM

Very interesting Coquet who else would it be?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Very interesting Coquet who else would it be?
I think it must be him - it's just finding confirmation somewhere. If someone can find him in the census then it might lead to an ancestry family tree of some relative which might help.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Report in the Grantham Journal of 11 Feb 1922 about proceedings in the Sleaford Police Court:
"Alexander Fowler, of Whitley Bay, was summoned for riding a motor bicycle without having a driver's licence, at Heckington, on Dec 31st..."
Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Report in the Grantham Journal of 11 Feb 1922 about proceedings in the Sleaford Police Court:
"Alexander Fowler, of Whitley Bay, was summoned for riding a motor bicycle without having a driver's licence, at Heckington, on Dec 31st..."

That's a handy find Janwhin. So he had a long term connection to that area.
Old 13-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Default Alex Fowler

Alex Fowler was my Great Uncle. He lived near us in Cranwell Village when he retired. I remember him very well and with affection and was interested to see that you have some of his books and things. What information are you seeking?
Old 13-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Alex Fowler was my Great Uncle. He lived near us in Cranwell Village when he retired. I remember him very well and with affection and was interested to see that you have some of his books and things. What information are you seeking?

Hi Alex welcome to the forum. Can you confirm the photo in post #3 is Alex Fowler Geologist? Where was he born? Did he serve in the Great War? I'm interested in anything you might like to share about the life and times of your uncle!

The books (and photo) came from an auction in Cumbria. There were more boxes of books there that probably once resided in your uncle's library but I was outbid.
Old 13-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Just a holding reply as I have sent the photograph to my Mum and Dad (87 and 89) to ask if they think it is him. All the other information is correct and is him. Apparently he is my Dad's mother's (my grandmother) cousin. I will ask M and D if they know where he was born and the other things/information you have asked for.

I was surprised to hear that his things turned up in Cumbria and will ask my M and D more about this and how this might have happened. They were really pleased that his things have come to light and wondered if any of the correspondence might have been written by my Dad's mother, Marjorie Bangay?

So family names are Marjorie (nee Lawson) Bangay and William Bangay, my grandparents on my father's side. Alexander was my grandmother's cousin. They were from Heckington, and when married lived in Cranwell Village. Uncle Alex lived there from retirement until he died.

My sisters and I have always been aware that he was well known for some good work of some sort but this has been really good to find out exactly what and I am really pleased that I came across this when researching it for my son, quite by chance.

I will let you know what I can regarding your questions, and it would be great if there was any information from your end.

Many thanks.

Alex
Old 14-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Hi Alex, many thanks for the information. I have found Margorie Lawson's parents and siblings now. Parents Edward Lawson and Betsy Fowler. Searching back to Betsy's family still has not produced a sibling with Alex Fowler as a son. Still searching.
Old 15-01-2017, 07:41 PM

Default Alex Fowler

My parents think it probably is Alex Fowler. My mother only met him when he was older and had put on weight - see attached photograph taken late 60's early 70's. I think it is him.

I will query the relationship again. He is obviously connected to Betsy Fowler in some way. Unfortunately my Dad, who would know definitely, has had a stroke and is unable to communicate very well.

I will let you know what I can find out.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0303.JPG (49.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 18-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Betsy should be his Grandmother, but then I cannot find him as a child of any of her children.

The photo is a difficult one. I don't think they are the same person, but then there was no guarantee the photo in #3 was him.
Old 31-01-2017, 06:13 PM

Default Alexander Fowler

Good news. My Uncle (who is 20 years younger than my father) has confirmed the picture is Alexander Fowler. He has provided lots of other information about him. Would you like his email address so you can correspond with your questions? Alex
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Good news. My Uncle (who is 20 years younger than my father) has confirmed the picture is Alexander Fowler. He has provided lots of other information about him. Would you like his email address so you can correspond with your questions? Alex

That wold be most helpful, thank you very much. I've sent you my email address as well via a private message.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
OK then. The photo, presented to the power of the internet to solve, one way or the other:

Is this Alexander Fowler M.A. B.Sc., Geological Surveyor, 1893 - 1980. Or not??

It is not Alexander Fowler. The image is of Robert Carruthers.