Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Walkers and Sandersons Buildings, Amble.

Does anyone know where Walkers and Sandersons Buildings were / are in Amble? The 1881 census has several families living there including my own, also who were Walker and Sanderson respectively?
Old 24-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Administrator

We have James Sanderson an Amble ship builder, the brickworks were built on the site of his shipyard. Active in the 1850s. (Leighton & Sanderson)

McAndrews records that a contractor 'Sanderson' built several blocks of buildings on what we know now as the north side of Queen Street, including the Dock Hotel. These buildings were known as Sanderson's Buildings. The opposite side, the Waterloo pub etc, were Welsh's Buildings.

I'm unsure if the shipbuilder and street builder are the same person.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Walker's Yard and Buildings were at the top of Queen Street, contained the Radcliffe Arms: this site now occupied by the Co-op supermarket and car park. The buildings also ran down the back of Queen Street joining on to North Street as far as I am aware.
Old 25-04-2018, 06:36 AM

The buildings you mention were Prospect place and Prospect Terrace and ran behind the recently closed bank.
Old 25-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Administrator

McAndrews states that Walker built the Radcliffe Arms and adjacent 'building' Walker's Yard when discussing Amble inns. I'm probably assuming Walker built Prospect Terrace. We could probably get some idea from the censuses. Do both the place names 'Walker's Buildings' and 'Prospect Terrace' occur together? How many families live in 'Walker's Buildings'

Here's a map with the buildings in place. I would imagine 'Walker's Yard' would be building(s) with an adjacent open space? 1,2,or 3??

Is the space '3' Coulson's Cottage garden?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map-walkers.jpg (114.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 25-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Where did the Garage sit (Samples?). My mother worked the petrol pumps there at one time. I feel it was over '3' on the map?
Old 25-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Prospect Place and Walker's Buildings exist together on the 1891 census, No Prospect Terrace that I can see on the 1891. (it does turn up on later returns)

Numbers 1-6 are named Prospect Place, then continues 7-13 Walkers Buildings, with 14 being the Radcliffe Arms, then No. 15.
Old 25-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Samples garage occupied the area 3 on the map originally with Grenfell the fruiterer next and the open space next before the Bank opening. Sample then got the whole area after the old fruit shop was demolished and took it all in with a showroom covering the area now used by the CooP.
Old 25-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks, thats all very helpful and I see how North St extended up behind the Dock to the CooP.

What used to be Fenders Plumbers may have been part of the same buildings?

According to the 1881 census addresses are recorded as Queen St, 1 Walkers Buildings, The Radcliffe Arms then a further 10 dwellings in Walkers Buildings which seem to incorporate Jackes Buildings (entry 272), it follows straight on to 8 properties in Sanderson Buildings then Queen St East. This seems to suggest that Walkers, Jackes and Sandersons Buildings were behind The Dock, Bank and Samples Showroom but being recorded from West to East??
Old 26-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Welch's Buildings were built by Mr Welch of the Harbour development, see the attached piece about him.
http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...nd_shakers.htm
Old 28-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Well I feel a bit wiser regarding that area now.

The solitary house set back and accessed from Queen Street, once part of that rear terrace, appears to have been a Smithy according to the map?

Old 28-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Administrator

So not much of a legacy left from 'Walker' whoever he was.

Perhaps he put in a retaining wall for the Radcliffe Arms and attached buildings?

Which has a girder sticking out of it.

Old 28-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Administrator

That 'yard' area access road appears to have been under the bank arch?
(apart from what might be a pedestrian alleyway at the Radcliffe Arms end?)

Old 28-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Samples garage occupied the area 3 on the map originally with Grenfell the fruiterer next and the open space next before the Bank opening. Sample then got the whole area after the old fruit shop was demolished and took it all in with a showroom covering the area now used by the CooP.

I'm sure we have a better picture somewhere of the garage. Showroom in this one I think. The tiny bit of stone bilding extreme left is ex- Grenfell's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amble queen street.jpg (56.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 30-04-2018, 09:31 AM

I too have a much clearer picture, I hadn't noticed the stone work to the rear which acts a retaining wall now. Can we ascertain where the back alley from in North St went all the way to the top or were Walkers / Sandersons / Welches yard accessed from Queen St only?

Was the land to the North of there but South of the Gut (Campbell Smiths house / builders yard) utilised for anything at the time of these buildings? I seem to remember some wooden dwellings accessed via the rear of Swarland House which were close to the rear of the bowling green. (A school friend of ours (Coquet) lived down there for while)

Last edited by jumpy shore; 30-04-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 30-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
That 'yard' area access road appears to have been under the bank arch?
(apart from what might be a pedestrian alleyway at the Radcliffe Arms end?)

The difference in the stonework is interesting here, the extension to the rear of the bank is much better stone than the original seen in the rear of the Queen St and the brick work is a type of Flemish Bond which adds strength to the wall maybe this was done for security reasons when the bank extension was constructed?
Old 30-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
So not much of a legacy left from 'Walker' whoever he was.

Perhaps he put in a retaining wall for the Radcliffe Arms and attached buildings?

Which has a girder sticking out of it.

As I remember it at the end of the fence on the right at the junction with High St but before the back lane that runs behind High St there was an open air Gents WC with a head hight wall around it. Maybe associated with the Radcliffe Arms?
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 PM

A bit of a tangent, but am I correct in having a memory of Carse and Goodger solicitor's office being up a this end of Queen Street??
Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 AM

What I take to have been the Radcliffe Arms was eventually the solicitors offices and the offices of Carse the builder, they were on the immediate corner where the retaining walls are and adjacent to the public gents mentioned. From there along the now car park was Prospect Place as far as the bank opening, then it was Prospect Terrace until t joined up to the present house which was originally a smithy and later the workshop of Oliver Taylor the plumber.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy shore View Post

Was the land to the North of there but South of the Gut (Campbell Smiths house / builders yard) utilised for anything at the time of these buildings? I seem to remember some wooden dwellings accessed via the rear of Swarland House which were close to the rear of the bowling green. (A school friend of ours (Coquet) lived down there for while)
I seem to recall that the lower land to the immediate north was described as 'reclaimed' in the supermarket site investigations? Probably just the Victorians dumping building rubble from the construction of Amble over the years?

Did Robert Beal not live down there?

Here's the 1920s map, (two maps joined together) I totally forgot about those public toilets. Perhaps they were the Radcliffe Arms - Was it not the done thing in mid Victorian times not to include wcs inside buildings?. Not sure about pubs.