Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 18-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Hello Amble

I am doing some research and found an Amble link to the Gibson family. I found on your site some census detail about Gibsons at 94 Queen Street. I have looked at this address and found it was a group home recently called Rochell House. I wonder why it is/was called Rochell House. What was the building in the past? Thanks for any info and what a great resource your site is and how vibrant your town seems.
Old 19-01-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Hello Amble

Tom Gibson lived at 94 Queen St, he owned the Coquet Picture House. Are you researching the Gibson's in Amble
Old 20-01-2019, 11:45 AM

It is a distant link to Northumbria and Gibson to be honest. More like one of those interesting diversions you end up in when you lose focus because you discover somewhere interesting. In a way I saw the building was called Rochell House and I have been told that Rochell as a name has a link to Rothbury which fits with some other research I have. I can't find anything on this but it looks an interesting property apart from anything else. That kind of peeked my nosiness. Thanks for the Picture House link I will look into that.
Old 20-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Default 94. Queen st.

1926 Spring register .Thomas J Gibson & Margaret Gibson . listed. but no House Name so should think Added later?
Old 20-01-2019, 02:50 PM

I've done a drifting off now. 1939 Register for that part of Queen Street brings back all the shop names! The Gibsons are there at 94. He is a cinema proprietor and his war duty is "member of the committee for food and fuel". There are Archbolds (hairdresser); Hogg (drapery); Boaden (fish, game and poultry dealer); Baston (cinema manager); Robertson (ladies and gents outfitters); Roland (butcher); McManus(fish shop); Dodds (police inspector). And that is only part of Queen Street 96-20.
Old 22-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Smile Thanks again

It looks like a big house I guess there was money in cinema at that time. Maybe the Rochell House was just for the care home business as it does not appear to be in other history. Thanks for your kind replies and the contributions to this site it is a goldmine of rich information and fascinating history.