Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Acklington and Guyzance

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Administrator

10th Feb 1941

Quote:
A party arrived from the BBC for purpose of recording a broadcast feature "Fighter Pilot" a Spitfire was used in the recording

I wonder if that [film?] still exists ?
Old 26-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Hidden in there is Belgian Squadron Leader Boussa's 50th Kill for Acklington - a happy accident - not for the Germans though!

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/acklington...pril_1943.html

Quite astonishing the rate of fire of those 20mm cannons, he got 82 rounds off in 6 seconds, and that's with one gun jamming part way through the process.
Also 595 rounds of .303 in 7 seconds, which he was just using to establish deflection for his cannons.

Killing Machines.
Old 27-07-2013, 09:55 AM

You've got some good data bases coming on stream, Coquet. Interesting to find out further detail for the stories behind the military graves at Chevington Cemetery recorded in the Acklington record book.
Old 28-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
You've got some good data bases coming on stream, Coquet. Interesting to find out further detail for the stories behind the military graves at Chevington Cemetery recorded in the Acklington record book.
Thanks Janwhin.
Old 28-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Administrator

On the 15th of April 1943 the C.O. of RAF Eshott, one Group Captain Beisiegel is protesting to Acklington about pilots low flying over the OTUs.

Quote:
On receipt of a complaint today made by Group Captain Beisiegel (C.O. of RAF Eshott) a letter was addressed to the Squadron Commanders on this Station, ie No 409 and 350, instructing them to take decisive steps in order that every pilot should thoroughly understand that no low flying must be carried out over or near Eshott, or any other O.T.U airfield in the district. They were also requested to see that this entry was made in the Pilots Order book.

Looks like low flying gives the pilots a bit of an adrenalin buzz, and if they can spook some trainees then all the better.

But.... I decided to Google the name of the officer making the complaint, Beisiegel, and this came up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-son-King.html

Now that's a strange twist isn't it. He was a low flying addict himself.
Old 29-07-2013, 10:13 AM

It could only appear in the Daily Mail. How could a pilot manoeuvering a plane at the limilt notice that a lady was 4 months pregnant, at the most, in the garden below
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
On the 15th of April 1943 the C.O. of RAF Eshott, one Group Captain Beisiegel is protesting to Acklington about pilots low flying over the OTUs.

Looks like low flying gives the pilots a bit of an adrenalin buzz, and if they can spook some trainees then all the better.
The circuits for Acklington and Eshott virtually touched one another, and there were lots of Spitfires and Masters based at the latter, mostly flown by inexperienced pilots. Training them was hard enough: the last thing that the instructors needed was a load of operational pilots flying low through their airspace when nervous pupils were in the circuit.

As a former CO of 616 Sqdn transferred to a desk job just before the start of the Battle of Britain, Beisiegel might have been fond of low flying at one time (just as the bored Polish pilots flying the trainee air-gunner-carrying Bothas at Morpeth were before several lost their lives), but he also had to ensure that as many pupil pilots got through their courses alive to fill the ranks of the front-line squadrons.

There were even a few mid-air collisions (the most famous one being in April 1944 when a USAF P-47 Thunderbolt temporarily based at Milfield and engaged in making dummy attacks on a road convoy near the airfield smacked into a No.57 OTU Spitfire flown by a Norwegian trainee pilot). Both pilots died in the collision.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator

In my ongoing translation of the Acklington log book I came across this:

19 Aug 1943
The Station Commander inspected a concrete plinth intended for the siting of beam approach apparatus completed in a field near AMBLE (1" Map 747237) N.E. of and in a line with the principal runway (No. 23) This plinth is in replacement of one long existing at the S.W. end of the runway and which was incorrectly sited.

I guess that plinth is long gone? 'open-casted'?

converting that Cassini military grid to lat and long, if I'm doing it right (I guess so as it's near Amble and not in the middle of the Pacific ocean as normal for me) gives you this:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=55....69043&t=h&z=15 (the green arrow, not Hope farm cottages)

I assume this is a searchlight type device to line up aircraft onto the runway?
Old 31-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Administrator

The location of No. 6 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp has revealed itself in this from the 23 Aug 1943:

The Station Commander visited No. 6 A.A.P.C. firing range at HAUXLEY POINT at 1100 hours on inspection and to investigate reports of difficulty caused by the appearance of fishing boats in the bay during firing practice - the matter had however been cleared up before his arrival.

Not where I was expecting - thought it would be at the Bondicarr end.
Glad they avoided shooting up fishing boats though.
Old 31-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Now I want to know what they were playing with at Hauxley Point! I assume it was what the [newly formed] 'Rock Apes' were manning at Acklington Station - 40mm Bofors ??
Old 31-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Bizarrely this fits the bill - beach and target towing - I wonder if our practice camp occupied the site of the coastguard building? [now also long gone]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYQwSqKcO8
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Right at this time 12 Group decided that the RAF Regiment would take executive command of each anti aircraft gun defending Acklington. The senior NCO for each gun establishment would identify any enemy aircraft and engage as he saw fit. 12 Group and Station command expressly made it clear that no orders would be forthcoming from them and that the Gunners must engage the enemy as they thought appropriate.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Odd that this log book fails to mention the mine dropped on Radcliffe. They do mention one near Guyzance in July 1940:

Reports received from many parts of the coast that enemy aircraft were in the vicinity of the aerodrome. Three explosions were heard one of which was particularly violent. This was caused by a mine which was dropped on land near GUYZANCE 1½ miles N. W. of the aerodrome, the crater being 50 feet in diameter and 20 feet deep.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Bizarrely this fits the bill - beach and target towing - I wonder if our practice camp occupied the site of the coastguard building? [now also long gone]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYQwSqKcO8
I was wondering what was going on in that film with the 'machine gun' sound - that Bofors Gun has a Bren Gun mounted on top - must have used that combination for ranging. Hey you learn a little every day.
Old 15-09-2013, 03:55 PM

put on another thread by mistake.

ambles target towing base north side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (28).jpg (98.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 17-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
put on another thread by mistake.

ambles target towing base north side

I wonder where they got their power supply and water from? (or the earlier civilian occupants over there for that matter) Pipes and cables from the Warkworth side or across the river bed from Amble? would that be possible?

They could have depended wholly on generators and water bowsers but I doubt it.

[I assume this RAF development would bring to an end any civilian occupation over there as well]
Old 17-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Northstead G.C.I. manning levels

Here's a surprise (for me anyway) - the scale of operations regarding another Acklington satellite - the Northstead radar installation; on this date it has 100 personnel, and they are talking about it increasing to 300!

August 25th 1943

"W/Cdr. Richardson (Sector Commander), W/Cdr. MacKenzie (S.O.A. 12 Group) and W/Cdr. MacNab (S.M.O. Group) assembled at S.H.Q. at approx. 0930 hours and, accompanied by the Station Commander and Station Admin. Officer proceeded to Northstead to examine the domestic layout there and consider steps to be taken for the improvement of conditions and the provision of further amenities. On the site, S/Ldr Anderson (o/c Northstead) showed the party the work going forward and it was decided, after some discussion, that the domestic scheme as at present approved and under construction would not provide anything like adequate facilities for the 300 persons who will man the G.C.I. Station, particularly under winter conditions. It was decided to press for the adoption of the original scheme (costing £16,000 and which had been rejected) which would include adequate hot water supply, baths, ablutions, drainage and access paths.
The WAAF personnel at Northstead (present strength about 100) are meanwhile to be evacuated to Acklington where accommodation exists in a vacated dispersal site. Details of the additional amenities required at Northstead were discussed and included in their scope the sinking of a borehole to obtain water on site, since the consumption levels (3000 gal per day) insisted upon by Morpeth R.D.C. are too stringent for daily needs and will be even more inadequate if the expanded scheme is approved. Sqdn. Ldr. Gillan (HQFC Medical) was with the party to examine conditions both at Acklington and Northstead in respect of WAAF sections. She expressed her satisfaction on departure, the points needing attention, being only minor ones."

I'm not 100% sure where Northstead was? between Red Row and Widdrington somewhere?
Old 17-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Administrator

I should add I don't know if they ever reached 300 personnel - I'll report back when I've reached the end of the book!
Old 17-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default More WAAFs in the Outstations!

There are more offsite installations mentioned here on the 29th of the same month:

The Station Commander accompanied by the S. Ad. O. and one W.A.A.F. officer visited all the Signals Out Stations under this Station's control with the object of inspecting living conditions of personnel, with special regard to W.A.A.F.* Seven of these small outstations are sited within a radius of 3 miles from the Station and, with only one exception, were found to be in good condition with manning personnel working under healthy conditions. Measures were put in hand to deal with the exception, the trouble being the mainly due to the breakages of fences by cattle and fouling of surrounding ground.

The have gear all over the shop! [and cow pats, nasty stuff]
Old 21-09-2013, 12:32 PM

North Stead was , as you rightly say, about half a mile before Widdrington roundabout, to the right, going to Widdrington. This will now end up in the middle of the proposed new adventure park. I remember it as, basically, a collection of huts in the field with radio masts beside them.