Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default West Cemetery

Where could I find burial lists for the West cemetary?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator

The Cemetery workers have a small office near the entrance. A few years back I wanted to find the location of an unmarked grave from 1968. They had the register covering that burial there in the office, and they took me straight to the grave too.

I'm not sure now though what they have up there; best thing to do is contact the council clerk Elaine Brown, she might know

http://www.amble.gov.uk/contact-us/

Or If I can help I'll ask at the cemetery for you, if it's details of a single grave you want. As for a full list of burials, I don't think such a thing exists outside of the written burial registers.

I would like to see the East Cemetery burial registers transcribed. If they've gone to Woodhorn Archives then it won't be possible for me to do it due to their copying charges, (I doubt they would allow copying anyway, except by hand) but if they are still in Amble, and the holder is willing to have the pages photographed, then I'd be happy to do the transcription job, and put it online. After all my ancestors are in there in unmarked graves too.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Looking at the West Cemetery page on the Town Council's website:

http://www.amble.gov.uk/responsibilities/west-cemetery/

bottom of that page, A charge is made for searching the burial records.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Default East Cemetery Burials

Coquet, you mention that the transcription of the records from Woodhorn would cost too much because of copying charges.
I've copied burials from my own ancestors....if a few of us did that, could we build a database on the site that way?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Hi Jan, regarding the East Cemetery registers, I'm sure the only copies are in the hands of Amble Town Council. Back in January I asked them (the town council clerk anyway) if it would be possible to transcribe them and put them online on the 'Amble and District' website.

The reply was that the Town Council charges for lookups in the registers, and if they went online the Council would lose this revenue stream. I then offered a donation of £100 for permission to host the online transcription, and I believe the proposal was to be mentioned at the next 'Cemeteries Management Committee' meeting. That has now been and gone, so I assume the answer is no and they want to hang on to the data.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator

As an example of costs, but on a different subject, I would have been happy to spend a few months transcribing the entire 1918 Northumberland Absent Voters List* to place online, but the rules at Woodhorn state that the pages cannot be photographed, only photocopied on their own copier at £0.40p per page. I made a rough estimate that it would cost £800+ to do this. So all that got done was the immediate local pages for us - Amble Warkworth etc.

* Just a note about the 1918 Absent Voters List For Northumberland; it is sadly incomplete, a number of lists are lost / destroyed, including Tynemouth, which was one I particularly wanted to see as it was likely to list my great-grandfather, as I have no reference as to what unit he served in during the war. ( All I know was that he was a stretcher bearer, but that doesn’t mean he was Royal Army Medical Corps, as infantrymen could be stretcher-bearers too.)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Default East Cemetery Burials

Coquet, you mentioned that you transcribed the 1918 Absent Voters list for the surrounding area. Did you have to pay Woodhorn for that?
I've now looked at the transcriptions I did for my family's Amble burials at Woodhorn. The title is "Amble Joint Burial Committee" but it doesn't seem to separate East from West cemetery burials, although this could be done roughly by date.
As an example of the info, I have, "1885 May 20 George Beverley 60 years, Radcliffe Colliery. Grave Number K87 (unconsecrated)". The only thing missing is a plan of the cemetery. (i've seen one for Warkworth at Woodhorn but haven't looked for Amble).
Can anyone out there suggest a way forward with this so we can get info onto the website? Any Town Council pressure!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Default East Cemetery

Ok, so I'm going to become a real bore on this topic

I've now had a look at the Cemeteries Management Committee minutes for January, how sad am I on a bank holiday. The issue was discussed and basically the council want, at some time, to put the info on their own website, and charge. This will encourage descendants to identify their grave and come and visit Amble, after paying to find out where the grave is. Most likely there will be no headstone or it will be flat on its face.
Alternatively they can do as I did when I was taking an Australian second cousin on a tour of where her grandfather and his ancestors had lived and died. Got the info from Woodhorn, free, parked the car and walked around the cemetery taking photos.
The Council are never going to make putting the data on the website a priority and they could achive the objective of bringing visitors by allowing the info to go onto the AMble and District website.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

I agree, it will probably cost the council a lot to set up a pay website and the payback would take years. Not to mention the time it would take for them to make a decision anyway!
Far better to let some very dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers do it through a well respected website such as this.
Would a councillor consider this a worthwhile local cause for funding I wonder?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Good to know there's a copy of the burials at Woodhorn - for some reason I thought they were only at Amble TC. It gets more interesting then.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding copying the pages of this Woodhorn based burial index - but if they allow photocopies then it's 40p a page (or it was a year ago). I seem to recall a while back asking if I could copy a church register stored at Woodhorn and was told I had to get permission from the church concerned first!

Another interesting point is that the two big pay genealogy sites ‘findmypast..’ and ‘ancestry.co..’. are now digitising parish records, I assume the source of these are the local archives around the country ..obviously a different set of rules apply to them as opposed to us council tax payers, council tax payers who provide the grant to places like Woodhorn in the first place.

Anyway I can’t see there being a copyright problem publishing the information in transcribed form online as a “fact is a fact” ie a name, date of burial, and plot number, it can’t really be copyrighted. Individual photographic images of pages would be though. It’s just getting the data in the first place to transcribe that’s the problem, I would bet the only way is to sit in Woodhorn with a pen and paper for a week or two copying it all out. Crazy isn’t it?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
I agree, it will probably cost the council a lot to set up a pay website and the payback would take years. Not to mention the time it would take for them to make a decision anyway!
Far better to let some very dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers do it through a well respected website such as this.
Would a councillor consider this a worthwhile local cause for funding I wonder?
I too think it would be difficult to make a profit unless they're planning on putting a lot of other information on it. A few burial registers won't do it, especially if the other pay sites get their hands on the data.

I'm sure we could transcribe the burial registers in a few days if allowed to photograph the pages (I would email 50% to Janwhin to speed up the process!..... only kidding )
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM

I've seen folk at Woodhorn with laptops transcribing, I'd be willing to ask the question next time I'm there. We'd probably get into a closed loop......"you'll need to get the permission of the donor!" Anyway I'd be a willing volunteer to do the job (50% sounds nice Coquet Can't guarantee how long it would take and I'd need the husband to design the spreadsheet!

You mentioned the pay sites. I have been involved in transcribing on FindmyPast. They involve the likes of NDFHS or Society of Genealogists. They then get money back every time there's a hit on their data. So at least the societies get money. Don't know about Ancestry though.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Hi Jan, no problem with any data transcription (now or in the future that I can talk you into!), just conversion from handwritten text to a line of text in MS Word or anything, even 'notepad' or similar would be more than enough for me.

I have just had a look at the council minutes for January that you mention, and it is Mr. Hinson that opposes the free transcription on here, item 7.3 I do of course understand that if they think it has a commercial value then they should make their decision based on what is best for town council revenue. It is of course theirs after all. -Although having my own ancestors in the cemetery I would rather list it all for free on here! Anyway, looking forward to seeing it on their website in due course.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Coquet, I'm more than happy to help with transcribing into the future.....is that a big mistake?!
In terms of whether Word or Excel are used, is one or another better for uploading onto the website. Excel's the more flexible from a transcription point of view. Listen to me, like I knew what I was talking about
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Coquet, I'm more than happy to help with transcribing into the future.....is that a big mistake?!
In terms of whether Word or Excel are used, is one or another better for uploading onto the website. Excel's the more flexible from a transcription point of view. Listen to me, like I knew what I was talking about

Just word is fine, organizing it into a webpage is easy - The laborious 95% of the work is converting from handwriting to typed text.

I did have an idea to transcribe the 'early Amblers'; that is the 1841 census, then try and find biographical information on those listed from other sources and the later census returns, as the '41 census doesn’t contain much info. 724 souls is the number in the Amble Township in 1841 – just a nice manageable size too. Just how successful it would be in building a picture of early Victorian Amble I don't know, but you could probably spend years on it if you wanted too!
Bringing together a dozen or so amateur historians with little ‘pet projects’ like the above, with the work published on a website would make a very interesting read wouldn’t it! (I can dream)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Now, you're really trying to tempt me. The 1841 census would be interesting just to see how many families have stayed the course in Amble.
I can recall my dad saying that the oldest family from Amble were Batey, I think. Involved with the Bede Street Club committee in the 1960s.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Default Oldest family.

Not Batey but Beaty, pronounced locally as Batey though. As stated, heavily involved in the Bede Street Club. Dave Beaty, a former painter and involved in Boys Club football and his family and siblings are still in Amble. See william the youngers photo of the Amble Boys Club team of the 1960's Dave is the secretary.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Administrator

East Cemetery Burial Index now added

Thank you to everyone involved in producing the page.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Default East cemetery records.

Congratulations, a most impressive effort by those concerned in the production, will be very helpfull to researchers.