Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Default Broomhill Colliery Gas

Shortly after I joined the RAF Broomhill miners were rudely reminded that their carbide lamps were not entirely safe. A man entering the South side on a Sunday night shift ignited a small pocket of gas. Luckily, I understand that he was extremely lucky to only lose his eyebrows and eye lashes. We all know how disastrous it could have been. That meant the whole pit went electric and non smoking overnight. This would occur circa 1960/61.
Does anyone have information on this occurrence. I think that the man involved was 'Buck' Stanton though my memory can be faint at times and, as I said, it happened after I had left the pits.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 AM

I would put the incident in the 1957/58 area as I faintly remember it and as you say the pit went electric. This caused a problem with supplying ready charged lamps to the outlying drifts such as East Chevington and Moorhuse as there was no lampcabins there. The colliery van had to be used to transport ready charged lamps for each shift. At Hauxley we continued using acetyline lights untill May 1st 1962 when a country wide rule made electric lights compulsory. Officials and tradesmen and special workers had electric prior to 1962. I remember the Broomhill men who came down in 1961 having to go back to carbide lights again after being used to their electric lights for a few years at Broomhill.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Thumbs up Re: Broomhill Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
I would put the incident in the 1957/58 area as I faintly remember it and as you say the pit went electric. This caused a problem with supplying ready charged lamps to the outlying drifts such as East Chevington and Moorhuse as there was no lampcabins there. The colliery van had to be used to transport ready charged lamps for each shift. At Hauxley we continued using acetyline lights untill May 1st 1962 when a country wide rule made electric lights compulsory. Officials and tradesmen and special workers had electric prior to 1962. I remember the Broomhill men who came down in 1961 having to go back to carbide lights again after being used to their electric lights for a few years at Broomhill.
Thanks for that Alan. I joined the RAF in March 1959 so it had to be later, but you add things I had no knowledge of.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up Re: Broomhill Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Shortly after I joined the RAF Broomhill miners were rudely reminded that their carbide lamps were not entirely safe. A man entering the South side on a Sunday night shift ignited a small pocket of gas. Luckily, I understand that he was extremely lucky to only lose his eyebrows and eye lashes. We all know how disastrous it could have been. That meant the whole pit went electric and non smoking overnight. This would occur circa 1960/61.
Does anyone have information on this occurrence. I think that the man involved was 'Buck' Stanton though my memory can be faint at times and, as I said, it happened after I had left the pits.
Further to the above, I have just learned that the timber laddy's name is Ray Henshall.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Default loking to contact an old school pal albert taylor

albert and I worked at broomhill colliery in 1958 I was on the stone heap gallaway with bob patten and jim pringle etc. we both lived in cheviot crescent at hadstone be great to be in touch with him john elliott
Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM

While you are on the topic of Broomhill Colliery....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57-2.jpg (60.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 16-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Administrator

A few snaps of Broomhill 1960 ish on Flickr including the colliery. (Arrow to the right for more)

BIG VERSION!
Old 16-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Administrator

are these the tin wotsits!?

Looks like the pit heap could wipe them out at any second.
Old 13-02-2016, 01:25 PM

An early mention of coal being worked at Broomhill from the Newcastle Courant of 11 June 1831:
"William Grey and Geo. Turnbull, two bound pitmen to Mr Anderson of Broomhill, were convicted of deserting their service, and refusing to work, and were sentenced to be confined in Morpeth house of correction."
Old 13-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Thumbs up Radar inn/ club

Does anyone have any pictures of the radar inn/club. I believe it was used as the payroll/administration offices for the national coal board prior to that. Any further information about its function and history would be great.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:26 PM

I've only seen one picture of the Radar and thats in a book ...I think of Amble and surrounding areas . I have it somewhere . I drank there in the mid eightys and after it was turned in to houses , I even decorated some of the rooms including the big staircase that had never been changed . I remember the place well . I'm sure it was John & Maureen who ran it at the time .
Old 14-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Did the Radar get converted into one or two houses? '1' and '2 Radar Close'?

This is the place now, not sure about '2':

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pr...ountry=england

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pr...ountry=england

Think I was in once when it was a pub. Must be lots of photos out there from its period as a drinking establishment.

I know we have a list of victorian pubs that have gone, but what would a recent (post 1970s) list look like?

Pubs/Clubs permanently closed: Grey Arms, Radar, County Parks, Amble Legion, The Fourways/Station, Marina, Norseman, ??????(the one in Warkworth along from the Warkworth House Hotel, name I forget at the moment), Shilbottle Club...Bede St Club also in the balance at the moment..... must be a few more.

Millennials, Gen z are not into drinking apparently. That combined with general price gouging probably means more closures in coming years and when our ponzi economy finally implodes a pub will be a rare thing I think. Drinking in Amble in the early eighties- Friday and Saturday night was 5 deep at the bar - you would walk into a place and walk straight back out again because you knew you would be standing there for 20 minutes waiting to get served. Things are a little different now.
Old 15-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Administrator

The Radar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-radar.jpg (97.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 15-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Did the Radar get converted into one or two houses? '1' and '2 Radar Close'?

I know we have a list of victorian pubs that have gone, but what would a recent (post 1970s) list look like?

Pubs/Clubs permanently closed: Grey Arms, Radar, County Parks, Amble Legion, The Fourways/Station, Marina, Norseman, ??????(the one in Warkworth along from the Warkworth House Hotel, name I forget at the moment), Shilbottle Club...Bede St Club also in the balance at the moment..... must be a few more.

Millennials, Gen z are not into drinking apparently. That combined with general price gouging probably means more closures in coming years and when our ponzi economy finally implodes a pub will be a rare thing I think. Drinking in Amble in the early eighties- Friday and Saturday night was 5 deep at the bar - you would walk into a place and walk straight back out again because you knew you would be standing there for 20 minutes waiting to get served. Things are a little different now.
Pub in Warkworth now Bertrams was the Black Bull.
Old 15-09-2018, 06:01 PM

thats the one Coquet. Same photo I scanned from the book and thats the only one I've ever seen of the Radar. It is an early photo . I remember the front porch they built on when they did meals. I'm sure it was converted into 3 , 2 at either side of the back and the big house in the front.

Last edited by rickt; 15-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 15-09-2018, 07:48 PM

I think you mean The Back Bull at Warkworth?
Old 15-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Black Bull - yes that's the place.