Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-10-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Appeal for help re. local Leighton family connections

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can tap into your expert local knowledge regarding the association of the Leighton family with Northumberland.

I recently visited a church in Longfamlington. I went there because my 4th great-grandfather and grandmother are buried in the cemetery that forms the grounds of St. Mary the Virgin; namely, Daniel and Barbara Leighton.

I am hoping to understand who they both were and indeed what the Leighton family's wider association was within the general vicinity and indeed the greater Northumberland area. That said, I'm fairly sure Daniel Leighton was a tenant farmer at Cragend Farm.

From what I can tell, the Leighton family were mostly farmers and gamekeepers. I gather that the family potentially owned or occupied a farm called Thistleyhaugh, at least for a time, and further back their definitely had a presence at Thorneyhaugh Farm as well.

A lot of the family seemingly had links to Rothbury and Felton and it would be really nice to piece some of this together as I'm helping the family chronicle our genealogy records. Any help would be really appreciated.

The lineage is as follows:

John Lyghton (Abt. 1590) - Bolam
Robert Leighton (B. 1638) - Whalton
James Leighton (B. 1685) - Rothbury
William Leighton (B. 1712) - Rothbury
Robert Leighton (1745-1840) - Snitter
Daniel Leighton (1785-1849) - Rothbury
William Leighton (1834-1921) - Rothbury

I think there was a diaspora of Leighton descendants away from the Northumberland area around the late-19th century to be honest. The direct lineage of my Leighton branch relocated to Ruabon, near Wrexham, within William's lifetime, and I know that many of my great aunts and uncles of that time emigrated to the USA and Canada.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated as if I don't do this for my family, no-one will!

Cheers,
Pete
Old 17-10-2020, 03:38 PM

Default Leightons in Lonframlington

See Attached file

Morpeth Herald and Reporter Aug 20 1898
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80930B81-6890-4895-8C51-96844337F9CB.jpg (96.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Hadston-Green; 17-10-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Default Leightons of Longframlington

A scattergun approach but just might be a clue in the attached - morpeth Herald Sept 5 1937 - Hadz

The fact that the British Legion attended the funeral suggests he had a previous military career - might be worth investigating.

H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D643213D-9B10-4621-B809-0E420C46DB36.jpg (116.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Hadston-Green; 21-10-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 17-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Default Daniel Leighton of Rothbury Cragend and William Leighton

See death notices attached
Old 17-10-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you Hadston-Green! Those citations have been a great help. Looks like my ancestors fell on hard times around the end of he 19th century, which would explain their diaspora away from Northumberland around that time. Just one question; one of the docs refers to Sir Daniel Leighton but I don't imagine he was knighted. Was this just a term of respect rather than an official, nobility-based title?

Thanks again...

Last edited by peterleightonjones; 17-10-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 18-10-2020, 10:00 AM

Default A Knight in the family

Alas no, I posted the digital version - software has scanned the original inky newspapers - the results are not always perfect - misinterpretations often result
And sometimes it reads across columns and mixes them up.

Attached is an interesting Rothbury story
Old 19-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Default Death Notice of Anne Leighton

See attached for death notice of Anne Leighton of Longhorsley wife of Daniel

Hadz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2DF73BA-72D8-43C2-AE61-B0CA3D233C22.jpg (97.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 19-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks Hadston! All great info. Very interesting story about the murder mystery too. Thanks again for your efforts in digging out these useful nuggets.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:44 PM

Default Leighton family

Hi,
I've just come across your request for information about the Leighton family. My grandmother, Catherine Leighton, and her family lived at Thistleyhaugh Farm over a considerable period.
I've got a fairly comprehensive family tree and documented history some of which is based on entries in the family bibles. Unfortunately there's nothing too exciting, any family fortune seems to have been lost over time.
You may already be aware that some were christened, married and buried at Brinkburn Priory which is still a popular tourist attraction.
Would this be of interest to you, if so I could email the documents over to you (if you could privately send your email details). In exchange I would welcome any information you can provide which I could use to update my own records.
Regards,
Barry (Leighton) Elliott