Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Default Chevington Abbas

Good afternoon. I'd be grateful for any help in locating a particular property in the Chevington area. I have a journal written by my grandfather in which he says, 'We stayed here (South Shields) for two years and then moved to Chevington Abbas, a farm, whilst my father worked in 1885, at Stobswood, a mine on the main line north He goes on to talk of the dreadful winters of 1885/6, 'snow being level with the hedges and the railways blocked' By the 1891 census they are living at Pegswood.

Although I have searched I can find no evidence of[a farm of that name. My grandfather William English (1875 - 1915) would have been only ten in 1885 so it is possible he misheard the name. The name Abbas however is so precise that it seems more likely he has remembered it accurately.

I found your site by chance and am delighted to have done so. Thank you
Old 14-11-2020, 12:18 PM

I've had a quick look on 1895 25inch os map.
Nothing to note except Isabella pit between Stobswood and Chevington which sounds vaguely similar. Other theory, Chevington "abouts" meaning somewhere in the area. Is the handwriting precise ? or open to interpretation?
Old 15-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Wikipedia says the word "abbas" refers to:

Monastic history
An abbot (from Old English: abbod, abbad, from Latin: abbas ("father"), from Ancient Greek: ἀββᾶς (abbas), from Aramaic: אבא‎/ܐܒܐ ('abbā, "father"); compare German: Abt; French: abbĂ©) is the head and chief governor of a community of monks, called also in the East hegumen or archimandrite.[2] The English version for a female monastic head is abbess.

Could it be Chibburn Preceptory which was utilised as a farm? Perhaps the locals incorrectly (although understandably) referred to it as an Abbey? Although that's more Widdrington area that Chevington I suppose.