Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Default Presentation at Buff lodge Amble, 1920

hi, came across this when searching for james harbottle.

Friday December 24 1920, presentation at Amble.

The ordinary meeting of the "Sir Robert Duncan" lodge of the R A O B
when Master James Harbottle was presented with a Primos Jewel.
in the memory of his father, Primo James Harbottle who was killed
in the war.

Councillor T H Field, who made the presentation, referred to the sad death
of Primo Harbottle who paid the supreme sacrifice for his country,

I myself was in the Buffs and it would have been a great lodge night.
don't think Master James was a member, as he would have been called
Bro James. also was told, any Sir named lodge was after they had past
away, the rules might have changed since then.

any info about Master James would be great.

William.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Administrator

There is some information about the Amble Buffs war memorial on the North East War Memorials Project web site:

http://newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6231

Apparently no one knows where it is or what happened to it. (88 members enlisted, 5 died.)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 PM

Default amble buffs

hi coquet,
thanks for your message, will see if I can get anything from the
buffs. iam sure there was a lot of men from amble who joined
in the early days.

many thanks, billy.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 PM

Re Master James Harbottle, we have a James Harbottle marrying a Mary Scott in 1912 and then a son James born in 1915. Could this be the family...it would make Master James five years old at the presentation.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:41 PM

Default james harbottle

hi janwhin,

you right, have just checked the bits I have on the harbottles
and came across the names on free bmd.

I now sure that the james on the Amble war memorial
is james, born c1889 son of james and alice harbottle
1901 census, parish of chevington.
james junr is down born in broomhill, 1911 miner.

james and alice are buried in east chevington cemetery.

many thanks for you and coquet. can now fill in the blank
spaces.

billy.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 PM

I still think it will be worth looking up stuff from the Buffs, Billy.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Another Buffs reference in the newspapers, Morpeth Herald, 9 January 1920:

"On New Year's Eve, a sad accident took place at Amble, which cast a gloom over the neighbourhood. Whilst T. Park was driving a butcher's cart along the Allotment Road, it would appear the horse had bolted, and galloped into Percy Street, and on taking the corner, Park was either seen to fall or jump out, and appeared to fall on his face on the footpath.
A lady who was passing went to his assistance, and another went for the police and medical assistance. Sergt. Spratt, on examining the unfortunate man, could find no signs of life. Willing helpers came forward, and the sergeant had him conveyed to his home, 23, Newburgh Street, Amble.
Dr Welsh arrived immediately at the house and tried artificial respiration, but without avail, and he pronounced life extinct. The deceased leaves a widow and family of five, two of whom are grown up.
Mr Park was well known throughout the district. He was formerly manager of the butchering department of the Broomhill Co-operative Society, and for some years had been with Mr T Allison, butcher, of Amble Harbour.
The funeral of Mr Park took place on Saturday afternoon, and amongst a large attendance of mourners were the brethren of the Amble Buffalo Lodge, of which deceased was a member. Much sympathy is felt for Mrs Park."

Now where's Allotment Road!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Seems like by 1939 there were two lodges in Amble. The Sir Robert Duncan was the first one but then the Sir William Francis also got established a few years later. They appear to exist at the same time.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Allotment Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Another Buffs reference in the newspapers, Morpeth Herald, 9 January 1920:

"On New Year's Eve, a sad accident took place at Amble, which cast a gloom over the neighbourhood. Whilst T. Park was driving a butcher's cart along the Allotment Road, it would appear the horse had bolted, and galloped into Percy Street, and on taking the corner, Park was either seen to fall or jump out, and appeared to fall on his face on the footpath.
A lady who was passing went to his assistance, and another went for the police and medical assistance. Sergt. Spratt, on examining the unfortunate man, could find no signs of life. Willing helpers came forward, and the sergeant had him conveyed to his home, 23, Newburgh Street, Amble.
Dr Welsh arrived immediately at the house and tried artificial respiration, but without avail, and he pronounced life extinct. The deceased leaves a widow and family of five, two of whom are grown up.
Mr Park was well known throughout the district. He was formerly manager of the butchering department of the Broomhill Co-operative Society, and for some years had been with Mr T Allison, butcher, of Amble Harbour.
The funeral of Mr Park took place on Saturday afternoon, and amongst a large attendance of mourners were the brethren of the Amble Buffalo Lodge, of which deceased was a member. Much sympathy is felt for Mrs Park."

Now where's Allotment Road!
I think Allotment Row was where Percy Drive is now. Hauxley Colliery band had their hut on the left and Hubbie thinks the Coquet Oil Co was on right
Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 AM

hi janwhin & mags,
thanks for that story janwhin, i read it late last night and i seen
it was 96 years to the day. i have been part of a buff funeral
alot of years ago. It would have been a nice send off for him.
god bless him.

i have found a buff lodge, abit from amble and will send a email
to them and see what they say. will wait and hope.

thanks, billy.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:30 AM

I hope you let us know Billy.
Re Allotment Road, back in the 1960s we used to get to the allotments by crossing the railway line at the bottom of Lindisfarne Road. This would get you into the western end of them but they then stretched down the side of the railway until they were blocked by the railway line running across Percy Street from Broomhill.
But way back before Lindisfarne and Aidan Roads were built, that was where the allotments were.
Allotment Road must be somewhere in the vicinity of the old Central Hall, given that the cart came out onto Percy Street, so I think your hubbie's probably right MAGS.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just william View Post
hi janwhin & mags,
thanks for that story janwhin, i read it late last night and i seen
it was 96 years to the day. i have been part of a buff funeral
alot of years ago. It would have been a nice send off for him.
god bless him.

i have found a buff lodge, abit from amble and will send a email
to them and see what they say. will wait and hope.

thanks, billy.

Are you asking them about the location of the Amble Buffs WW1 memorial as well Billy? (Well we now know one name that is on it; James Harbottle.)
I have a vague recollection of some of the Lodge memorabilia ending up in the Dock Hotel*. Did they have their meetings there at one time?

*I can remember being shown a large horned bovine skull mounted on a wooden shield for hanging on the wall which was Amble RAOB stuff, previously stored at the Dock I think.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM

I picked up the piece about there being two lodges in Amble from a newspaper article in I think 1939, when they were doing a presentation. That was all happening in the Schooner.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Bro Fitzpatrick and the Sir William Francis Lodge RAOB Amble

Yes, found it. Regarding Fitzpatrick of Broomhill Street. Nice photo of him decked out in his RAOB sash with chest full of medals/Jewels

I do come across RAOB medals with WW2 campaign medals occasionally. Never seen one specific to Amble though.

Here's the article for the record:

AMBLE R.A.O.B.CEREMONY

Local Man Honoured

One of the most important gatherings in connection with local R.A.O.B. Lodges took place in the Schooner Hotel, Amble, the headquarters of the Sir William Francis R.A.O.B. Lodge on Saturday evening.
The occasion was the raising to the Fourth Degree, R.O.H. (Roll of Honour) of Bro. J.Fitzpatrick, K.O.M.— the highest honour the order can confer. Brother Fitzpatrick, who lives at Broomhill Street, Amble, has a long and honoured Association with the Order in the Amble district.
Over 100 representatives were present from many lodges including: — G.M.Lamb Crown and Constitution; Duke of Portland (Ashington); V.W.Corbett, Lord Clyde; Bank Top (Bedlington); Sir J.T.Leach (Newbiggin); North Seaton Lodge (North Seaton); Earl Percy (Alnwick); Wansbeck (Stakeford); and Morpeth Lodge.

The ceremony was arranged under the auspices of Morpeth and District Knights Chapter. The Exalting Officer was Brother C.S.Kennedy, R.O.H., Choppington, while the "sash"was presented by Brother J.Coulson R.O.H., of the E.M.Lamb Lodge, Ashington. During the ceremony reference was made to Brother Fitzpatrick's splendid work on behalf of the Order. One of the founders of the Sir William Francis Lodge, he has held the treasurership since its inception. Previous to that he was associated with the Sir Robert Duncan Lodge, Amble, where he was also treasurer for several years. He took a keen interest in the formation of the Earl Grey Lodge, Red Row. He is a dominoes enthusiast. Some years ago he won the Glanton R.A.O.B.Challenge Cup in the district dominoes tournament.
Others taking part in the ceremony were Brother R.Y. Johnson, K.O.M. Provincial Grand Primo, and Brother Samuel Peel, K.O.M., president of the Knights Chapter Lodge.
The same evening Brother W.P.Jamieson, C.P., was raised to the 3rd Degree, K.O.M., the exalting officer being Brother J.Taylor of the V.W.Corbett Lodge, Ashington.
Following the ceremonies, refreshments were provided by the home Lodge, and a few musical items concluded an interesting and happy function.

[Alnwick Mercury 05 May 1939]
Old 10-01-2016, 01:21 PM

According to 1939 register, the bit you don't have to pay for! Joseph Fitzpatrick, born 1874 and Margaret A Fitzpatrick were living at 29 Broomhill Street. On the census, he was born in Cowgate, Newcastle and was miner. Died in 1961.

Last edited by janwhin; 10-01-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Administrator

William Fitzpatrick, same address on the absent voters list served with the Royal Irish Regiment in the Great War. A son I assume. Survived the war, probably living at 31 Leazes Street on the 1926 roll.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:39 PM

1911 census has son William, born 1896, job is "wheeling off bricks" at the Brickworks.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Allotment road or row wouldn't have been the usual route for a journeyman butcher so I would think the allotments may have been where the horse was stabled. It is correct that it ran roughly the line of the present day Percy Drive past the health centre and joined Percy Street beside what was known as "The Metal Bridge".
Old 11-01-2016, 03:43 PM

hi everyone,

thanks for all the input about the buffs,its great reading.
I think that if there was a lot of members in one lodge
some times, afew would start another lodge all you
needed was five members, one must be a primo.

if a lodge closed some times, things that beloned to them
was given to other lodges. pictures, books, " horns "
my dad was given some many years ago, which lay
under the bed, boy, did my mum hated them,

I was glad to find the bit in the paper about james, as I
can say which james is on the memorial, but it would
be great to find the other members.

thanks everyone, billy.
Old 23-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Coquetdale Lodge was formed in 60s and held in dock I was a founder member of Lodge! (Also of Broomhill lodge N0 7914) held in trap then, Geordie Arries,Bill Cross Geordie(Dock landlord) the Kitchens, Geordie Evens, John Trainor a few names that spring to mind!