Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 17-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
.and in the Warkworth district, 16 children (a third of the total number of deaths) died of scarlatina at Radcliffe Terrace (a colliery locality) and Hauxley, where "the water is impure and there is a great want of drainage."........"
Difficult to get to the truth on this one isn't it? We now have more that a doubling of fatalities (or are they referring to the whole district?) and a different disease again.
Old 17-01-2015, 11:00 PM

Well, scarlatina is scarlet fever, so we have a common disease....smallpox and scarlet fever were the ones being reported. I'll need to revisit those burials, we did have a lot of children. I was assuming that they are talking of about 50 deaths for the whole of the Warkworth district in that quarter. What we don't know is whether Warkworth district equals Warkworth parish
Old 14-08-2015, 01:26 PM

My grandfather was a coal miner and lived in Radcliffe Terrace in the 1920's. I am hoping to visit next year but there does not appear to be much left of Radcliffe village to see.
Old 14-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My grandfather was a coal miner and lived in Radcliffe Terrace in the 1920's. I am hoping to visit next year but there does not appear to be much left of Radcliffe village to see.
Pretty much all gone unfortunately, the site of the terraces is now agricultural fields. Some of the forum members have some nice photos on here if you click the 'All Albums' link above. Pictures 29 to 34 in the Forsyth Image Collection also show some of the village.

I'm rather ashamed to say we don't have a heritage centre for visitors like yourself to come to. Our communities have been erased from the surface of the earth by opencast mining and none of the profit from that activity has been invested locally to preserve and promote the history of what they destroyed in any sort of focused way. 'The powers that be' are only into retail and overpriced housing.
Old 17-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the photo link. It was great to see what is was like in Radcliffe. I have found some further information that shows my grandfather was residing in number 7 Newburgh Row following his army discharge in 1918.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM

I now have further information that shows my great and great great grandfathers were also coal miners in Radcliffe. I will be over next year so will check out the Amble cemetery as I think one is buried there.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Thanks for the photo link. It was great to see what is was like in Radcliffe. I have found some further information that shows my grandfather was residing in number 7 Newburgh Row following his army discharge in 1918.
Bluedog, he's not on the 1918 absent voters list? - We have soldiers from No.3 and No.11; but not No.7. I'm always curious regarding the men that are not recorded as casualties in the papers or on the AVL list. We need them identified for the full story of the local contribution to the Great War.
Old 29-01-2016, 12:21 PM

The things you come across when you're looking for something else. Mr Kingscote of the colliery was in a court case in 1840: Smith v Kingscote. It was another one about the development of the colliery, being damage to fields belonging to Mr Smith. The railroad to Amble was built over two of his fields, despite a shepherd warning them off!

One bit of interest is the evidence from a John Thurlow:
"Has lived a long time at Amble. The new colliery is in the township of Hauxley. At the end of the field in which the pit has been sunk there is a highway. To the north the high road leads to Amble Moor House. The two fields in question are in the township of Amble. About 43 years ago, there was a pit in Hauxley. It was worked by a gin. They conveyed their coals by the highway."
That would put it about 1797, if my maths is right. Don't we have an engraving of Radcliffe with a gin somewhere?
Old 29-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Administrator

There is but it's an engraving of the 'modern' colliery, still, it has a gin in there. Is it a left over of an older colliery or something used in the 'modern' colliery? Of course it could just be and artistic creation of the engraver, but I think more often than not these engravings turn out to be representative of what was actually there.

Old 29-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Administrator

We do have an assessment of the Amble Hauxley mining situation from 1750s, But it's a bugger to sort out what area they are talking about. This extract looks like pits in (what is now) Amble:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1753.jpg (68.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1753x.jpg (70.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 29-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
"Has lived a long time at Amble. The new colliery is in the township of Hauxley. At the end of the field in which the pit has been sunk there is a highway. To the north the high road leads to Amble Moor House. The two fields in question are in the township of Amble. About 43 years ago, there was a pit in Hauxley. It was worked by a gin. They conveyed their coals by the highway."
That would put it about 1797, if my maths is right. Don't we have an engraving of Radcliffe with a gin somewhere?
Just rediscovered a copy of a lease I have for Hauxley Colliery dated 1792, between John Leadbitter of 'the Woodhouse in the county of Northumberland' , for and on behalf of the Earl of Newburgh, and one George Johnson of Byker, colliery viewer.

It says the colliery is in the 'Manor of Ambell'. The one John Thurlow mentions I'm sure.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:13 PM

Didn't Hollydog find the boundary stones in a field behind Amble Moor House?
Old 30-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Didn't Hollydog find the boundary stones in a field behind Amble Moor House?
Township boundary stones I think. Any possibility Amble Manor and Township boundaries are different? It's a legal document so it must be taken as accurate?
Old 30-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Township boundary stones I think. Any possibility Amble Manor and Township boundaries are different? It's a legal document so it must be taken as accurate?
I'm not sure to be honest, although I would have thought they could be different. As I understand it, a township was a particularly northern definition, designed to break down large parishes into bit size pieces. So Amble and Hauxley would have been townships within Warkworth Parish.
A manor is an estate held under a landowner.
Old 30-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I'm not sure to be honest, although I would have thought they could be different. As I understand it, a township was a particularly northern definition, designed to break down large parishes into bit size pieces. So Amble and Hauxley would have been townships within Warkworth Parish.
A manor is an estate held under a landowner.

Yes the Priory of Tynemouth were the historical landowners, 'Manor of Amble' and Hauxley. Term must have still been used to describe the area in more recent times.
Old 30-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Oh yes about two years ago we had a rummage around the back of the water treatment works and found one. Another looked to now be under the baffle bank of the works and I am sure the farmer said he had never seen the one just over the field at a corner of the Moorhouse Farm. HT Hauxley Township?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA200194.jpg (146.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA200196.jpg (68.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Should I have a go at a transcription of the 1792 lease of Hauxley (Hawksley) Colliery? I can see it does mention 'Ambell Harbour'. I think there might be a bit of paper missing but it is several pages like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hauxley_lease.jpg (60.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 30-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Oh yes about two years ago we had a rummage around the back of the water treatment works and found one. Another looked to now be under the baffle bank of the works and I am sure the farmer said he had never seen the one just over the field at a corner of the Moorhouse Farm. HT Hauxley Township?

Nice. Yes 'Hawksley' Township!
Old 30-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes the Priory of Tynemouth were the historical landowners, 'Manor of Amble' and Hauxley. Term must have still been used to describe the area in more recent times.
I had a look in my old faithful encyclopedia, almost as old as the old manorial system
Main feature of the manor was the manorial court, mainly concerned with civil business especially manorial holdings.....from which comes copyhold. The manors themselves declined in the Middle Ages but the courts and copyholds survived into the C20th.
Old 30-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Should I have a go at a transcription of the 1792 lease of Hauxley (Hawksley) Colliery? I can see it does mention 'Ambell Harbour'. I think there might be a bit of paper missing but it is several pages like this:
If you want assistance, let me know.....I'll be off on holiday tomorrow then, sort of last minute booking thingy