Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Bullock's Hall, another lost village

Bullock's Hall. another totally obliterated old mining village. This land has now been opencast by the Maiden's Hall site.

Map below shows the colliery in red, the dotted line heading off to the west is possibly an Aerial rope-way, similar we assume to what Longframlington Colliery had, or perhaps an endless rope haulage like Longdyke Colliery (old Shilbottle colliery).

Green is the site of Chevington Chapelry building

Yellow is Bullock's Hall itself.

Note the corresponding row of "netties" behind the Chevington Crescent houses.

Old 15-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Anyone know what happened to the graves at the Chapel? what's the procedure when a graveyard is opencast??
Old 15-12-2011, 07:14 PM

The building on the left of the map .............I wonder if that's Ainsley's farm ? .
My relatives lived just opposite the farm ,infact by the map above their house must have been built on the burial site.
My late grandparents lived on the Crescent ,infact I have a vey old picture of them as youngsters outside one of the houses.
Old 15-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
The building on the left of the map .............I wonder if that's Ainsley's farm ? .
My relatives lived just opposite the farm ,infact by the map above their house must have been built on the burial site.
My late grandparents lived on the Crescent ,infact I have a vey old picture of them as youngsters outside one of the houses.
Could be Rick, I am not familiar with the area unfortunately. The yellow building on this 1920s map, is just marked "Bullock's Hall", possibly later known as the farm you mention?

I am under the impression that most of the buildings shown were long gone before the opencast administered the coup de grĂ¢ce to anything that was left. [from googling the opencast started in 1996]

I'm sure the Chapel had an archaeological investigation done shortly before the opencast got started. [If I can find a link for this info I will add it]

edit to add link: http://www.biab.ac.uk/issues/64678 "Chevington Chapel Site Investigation [Site name: CHEVINGTON CHAPEL SITE [WEST CHEVINGTON]" just a summary at that link.
Old 18-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Had a look on the 1911 census to see if it was possible to find a list of who was living in Chevington Crescent by address. Not that easy.

The Enumerators Book lists the following places:

Parish of West Chevington (Entire); Chevington Colliery, including Crescent, High Wood Row, Wood Row, Maiden’s Hall, Chevington Cottages, Amble Junction, Chevington Woods, Chevington Farm & Cottages, Station, Chevington Moor, Farm and Cottages, Infectious Disease Hospital.

Bullock’s Hall (Entire); Bullock's Hall, Farm and Cottages.

Yet searching the database produces only one hit for purely "Chevington Crescent". I can see that there are 50 houses in that row, so something's up.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:10 PM

Yes , the houses and chapel were demolished years before the opencast had started .
My grandfather would take me as a youngster to visit his sister who lived in a house opposite Ainsley's farm,this was in the sixty's and the Crescent had gone long before that .A caravan park was at the rear of the house's in the map above .