Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 17-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Default VJ Day

I watched the ceremony from the National Arboretum on Saturday and found it very moving. Both VE and VJ Day reminded me of my uncles killed in the war. Uncle Albert Gray was killed at Kohima in 1944. I recall being told that my grandmother was terrified that he hadn't been killed outright and that he might have been tortured by the Japanese. Apparently she resorted to seances to try and discover his fate. So sad. He had married in 1939 and had a son, who had to grow up in Amble without him.

I can remember as a child in Amble, older men adamant that Japanese products should not be bought. My dad told me that some fought against the Japanese, some had family who had died as prisoners of war or had returned home as shadows of their former selves.
Old 17-08-2020, 05:26 PM

This was recorded at Low Hauxley beach opposite Coquet Island. We remembered John Shotton 4278485 (born in Hauxley and lived in Amble... hence the location) of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (a family friend sadly no longer with us) who was taken prisoner in Singapore on 15th February 1942 and was liberated in September 1945 from Nagoya 4B in Japan.

I'm sure some of you would have know John very well.

https://www.facebook.com/Young-Piper...7115132036662/
Old 18-08-2020, 02:34 PM

What a lovely tribute.