Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Default Dr James Anderson Loughridge. Information needed.

On a recent trip to Amble's west cemetery, I noticed a grave just to to the left as you enter the gates.

The inscription on the headstone is for a Dr James Anderson Loughridge who served the town from 1907 to 42. The headstone was erected following a public subscription. Does anyone know anything about this man?
Old 25-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Dr Loughridge.

As stated he was a long serving doctor to the town and was, I think , medical officer of health to Amble.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Do you know if he had any family?
Old 25-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

He's aged 32 and single on the 1911 census.
others on the census return are his house-keeper and two servants.

He was born about 1879 in Coleraine,County Derry.

He appears on the absent voters list (WW1) as a Lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He must have served overseas post 31/12/1915 as he is entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. (his rank on the medal index card is Captain)

It's quite possible his WW1 service papers have survived at the National Archives, which should show next of kin.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:29 PM

A little bit more which suggests that he possibly had no close family?
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu.../2234/page.pdf
Old 29-03-2013, 05:55 PM

According to the Probate Calendar, the executor was John Canning Loughridge, which ties up with the London Gazette entry. This seems to have been his brother, living in Ireland.
Old 24-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Photographing loads of ye olde army badges today so thought I'd photograph these medals as well. (as it's a bit quiet on here) Items recently sold on a well known auction site . Now back in Amble. Couldn't resist them ... again

These are Dr Loughridge's WW1 Medals for service in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Interestingly a late issue, 1934 according to his medal index card. Most men were in receipt of their medals by mid 1920s so not sure what happened here.

Also included is a prize medal from Edinburgh University for practical histology. Our doctor must have been quite a top notch student.

Old 24-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Administrator

The medal packet states 25 High Street.
The 1911 Medical Register gives his address as Amble House. I assume these are the same place?
Old 24-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Administrator

I wonder where we will find a photo of this man? There MUST be a photo of Dr Loughridge somewhere!

I see he qualified in 1906 according to the medical register and was the Amble doctor in 1907 according to the opening post.
Old 24-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Looking at the 1926 Electoral Register, the Wellwood Arms, Amble House and Amble House Cottage lie between Nos. 24 and 54 High Street, so it seems that 25 could be Amble House.
On that register Dr Loughridge is living at No. 23.
Old 24-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Not being familiar with World War 1 Medals, is the second one the Victory Medal and is the horse stamping on a shield bearing the German Imperial Eagle with a skull and cross bones to the side?
Old 24-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Forgot about that resource, who put that there? . Interesting as he seems to have gone from Amble House AKA 25, to 23 then back to Amble house by 1934?

I'll see if his service papers have survived at the NA next time. Not sure where he served WW1 but he must have been in a war theatre to receive the victory medal. Why did he go in the first place? I would have thought he would have been required in the town. This leads us to the question who replaced him?
Old 24-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Not being familiar with World War 1 Medals, is the second one the Victory Medal and is the horse stamping on a shield bearing the German Imperial Eagle with a skull and cross bones to the side?

"British War Medal" on the left in silver with King George bust & horse, "Victory Medal" on the right in gilt bronze, with the angel (or 'Victory' herself to be more accurate)

You are right with the symbolism on the reverse of the British War Medal, the horse is trampling the shield of the Central Powers representing their defeat.

The recipient details are also stamped into the rim.

Old 24-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I mentioned Loughridge to my aunt and she says she still occasionally puts flowers on his grave. Why? I asked. Apparently, on a number of occasions back in the day when you paid doctors to visit our mob were pennyless yet he still did his job for free. Apparently we, descendants of those ancestors, would not be here except for his generosity.
Old 24-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Sounds like someone we need to dig deeper into
Old 24-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Sounds like someone we need to dig deeper into
We should. I'm concerned though that his WW1 service papers are not indexed in the online catalogue at the National Archives.
Is there any chance that he could have had some sort of WW2 Service? Perhaps with the Home Guard? (their MO?) That might mean his papers are with the MOD at Glasgow.
There is also the Edinburgh University angle. Perhaps they have something.
Old 24-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
This leads us to the question who replaced him?
I had a look at the newspapers to see if there was any sort of obit for him without luck. There was discussion after his death about an appropriate memorial but no follow up that I've found yet. There was also in 1944 a lot of mumblings in the Council meetings about the fact that after 2 years he hadn't been replaced. It made the national newspapers apparently which caused more mumblings. Amble did have cover but they were utilising the docs at Broomhill (Newton) and Alnmouth (Emmerson).
Old 24-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Found a little something, Morpeth Herald 21 August 1942, regarding special meeting of Council on 30 July:
"...the chairman had referred to the death of Dr Loughridge who had been Medical Officer of Health to the council for 32 years. During this time, his great ability, kindliness and greatness of heart had made him highly respected and endeared throughout the district. He had been ever ready to help the lame dog over the stile with his kindly acts, many of which would remain unsung.
His unfailing courtesy, good nature and Irish wit all helped, in securing his popularity and his place would be most difficult to fill. It was agreed that a letter of sympathy be sent to the doctor's relatives and the members stood in silent tribute."
Dr Moyes stood in for about three months after the Doctor's death.
Old 25-01-2014, 09:57 AM

James Anderson Loughridge died on 28 July 1942. He was living at Wellbank House, now where would that be......apart from near the well?
Old 25-01-2014, 12:13 PM

see next post

Last edited by hollydog; 25-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.