Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Here's a better photo of the Lamb Stone. Someone's touched up Lt T Lamb's inscription in gold

Old 19-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I've photographed 40% of the old section. Will get the remaining 60% soon.
Don't know if I'll get them in a gallery, but they will definitely be here on a CD or memory stick for reference if we require a look at one.
Old 19-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I'm sure there will be some interesting stones in there; here's one, Walter John Browne C.B., General Bombay Army:

Old 19-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Administrator

A number of Amble residents in that cemetery too.

Old 19-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Anyway, I'll not stick too many of those up as this the 'Lamb' thread. On the subject of which findmypast has just launched a database of Royal Navy Ratings and Officers service papers. [Much to my irritation as I'd just purchased a pile of papers from the NA] Anyway, the database shows the Navy Lamb served during WW1 on HMS Indus, Roxburgh and Tiger. He remains in the navy post 1929 when his service record transfers to a new series (not online or released) so he was a long service guy.

He initially enlisted as a Boy Artificer in 1912, straight from school. 5'1", dark brown hair, blue eyes, fresh complexion. Navy grub got him to 5'7" by 1926!
Old 15-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Lambs:

Old 15-09-2018, 02:11 PM

Nice photo, presumably Brewery Lane? Trying to get my bearings, is that looking toward the river or Castle Street?
Was the brewery on the site of what became the garage?
Old 15-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Administrator

I think it's looking down the lane from the main street end to the river, although everything been so ripped apart and rebuilt down there over the last century I doubt there is anything recognisable in the photo left today!
Old 15-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Administrator

This is as close as I've got to the entrance to Brewery Lane and the Lamb Inn. This must be about 1910 as there is a primitive motor vehicle in the image as well (I've cropped that part out)

I assume the Lamb Inn is on the uphill side of the lane. There is a name above the door but it's not legible.

Old 15-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Administrator

All looks very quaint now.
Old 16-09-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Lambs:

Large building down the lane on left is still there, as are the cottages to the right. Unfortunately the building immediate left has gone.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3477...!7i8192!8i4096
Old 16-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Large building down the lane on left is still there, as are the cottages to the right. Unfortunately the building immediate left has gone.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3477...!7i8192!8i4096
Just been for a look - more there that I expected. The Brewery site itself is a small courtyard 'Hotspur Court'. The surviving building in the distance on the left and in your google view has been named 'Brewery house'. Not sure if that was part of the Lamb properties or not.

Old 19-09-2018, 10:09 AM

I don't suppose there is any connection between these Lambs and Lambs Terrace in Amble?
Old 21-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy shore View Post
I don't suppose there is any connection between these Lambs and Lambs Terrace in Amble?

I had a dig around in the newspaper archives for anything on the origin of 'Lambs Terrace' last night - no clues found.

It's a bit of an oddity Lambs Terrace.
Old 22-09-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I had a dig around in the newspaper archives for anything on the origin of 'Lambs Terrace' last night - no clues found.

It's a bit of an oddity Lambs Terrace.
The 6 dwellings in Lambs Terrace appear on the 1895 OS with outhouses with access from Albert St as now. They seem to be all the same and therefore one would consider that they were all built together by the same builder but they are an oddity? Colliery Houses maybe?
Old 23-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Administrator

In the 1881 census Thomas Lamb aged 29 (b c1852 Belford) is the innkeeper of the Harbour Inn, Amble. The Lamb tribe did come from Belford, so I suspect this is a son of Thomas Lamb (senior) that established the Warkworth Brewery.
Interestingly not only is he an innkeeper, but also a 'carpenter employing two men'. I think it's looking likely that he is the name behind Lambs Terrace.

Here's an advert from 1886, has him as a builder selling off flats in Church Street:

Old 23-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Administrator

The Amble Thomas Lamb was definitely the son of Thomas Lamb, Warkworth Brewer; Morpeth Herald 20/11/1875 refers:

Marriages...At St. Paul's Church, Alnwick, 14th inst., Thomas, second son of Thomas Lamb, brewer, Warkworth, to Maria, eldest daughter of Mr. Henri Duffuat, merchant, Brussels, Belgium.

The 1881 census shows Maria at the Harbour Inn, Amble, born Belgium, wife of Thomas Lamb.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Lovely bit of detective work Coquet

Maybe these are the Lambs Terrace properties:
Alnwick Mercury 9 February 1884:
Tenders required for the erection of six cottages in Amble for Mr Thomas Lamb. Plans and specifications may be seen at the Wellwood Arms Inn, Amble, from Monday the 11th to Saturday the 16th inst., inclusive, and tenders may be sent to Robert Thompson, Warkworth, not later than 9 am on Monday, the 18th day of February, 1884.
Old 24-09-2018, 12:52 PM

I see we have a headstone for Thomas in Amble East Cemetery which states he died in Brussels. Burial entry is Thomas, a joiner aged 34 of Amble, 16 July 1886. His widow, Maria Josephine Anne, was buried in the same grave, 12 August 1947, aged 100! She was of 64 Scrogg Road, Walker, Newcastle.
Old 25-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Great detective work indeed! A clear connection with Lambs Terrace and the brewers who seem to have the makings of a good business with properties in Brewery Lane, building and selling properties in Amble outlets for their products in Amble and Warkworth. It seems Thomas's early demise and WW1 took its toll on the family as with many others. We may well have been sampling 'Lambs Bitter' in the local hostelries had things been different. Marias address in Scrogg Rd in Walker is still a main thoroughfare. To add to the tale, I worked on drilling rig with and Electrician from Clipstone Colliery, Notts, which must have been close to the location of Clipstone Camp where 2nd Lt. Thomas Lamb was accidentally killed in June 1916. Artillery accident maybe?