Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Smile New To Forum

Hi, Lots of interests,,,mainly history,rocks fossils,coal metal detecting beach combing...been in Amble just over 2 years but childhood in Hexham.

Found many very interesting objects on the beach ...Agate, Fossils, unidentified objects ? loads of coins...some old...recently bones?????

Would like to know more about finds on beaches as have found strange object ....ornate iron encrusted ..will post photo later ...I gather there were loads of shipwreaks around Hauxley?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Hi Tony welcome to the forum!

we've got similar interests.

Here's some of my Amble Agate, ok not too fantastic, but I'll keep looking. (Took me weeks to polish it) And a piece of the Acklington Dyke* sawn and half polished by me, but as you probably know the composition of this rock makes it hard to polish.

*Our youngest local rock at a mere 58 million years old. Also see Buddle's map on the Acklington Colliery page. Still amazes me that it's here because of Volcanoes on the Isle of Mull.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Here's a local fossil, an important marker horizon for the coal industry too.
This is a lump of the Maltby Marine Band, which is exposed at Bondicar. It sits above the Ashington seam in the stratigraphic column.

Now I remember this marine band from my short time down Ashington pit, where the shells within were perfectly preserved, just like fresh shells off the beach, and the matrix was jet black. A very nice fossil. (and I don't have any )

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your reply,

Have found quite a number of Agate pebbles and loads of coral fossils on the beach....also found some bones which I reported to police but have not heard anything back???? looked human ?

Still more bones where the sea has pulled away the layers of sand ...I have reported all this but would like some feedback...its the beach between Hauxley and Amble( beach with all the pebbles on )

Back to work now so less time beach combing,,,also found Jasper but only a small piece

Whats the best place to metal detect? ...have had good results warkwoth but only after servere weather
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Would like to know more about finds on beaches as have found strange object ....ornate iron encrusted ..will post photo later ...
sounds interesting

Quote:
Whats the best place to metal detect? ...have had good results warkwoth but only after servere weather
I don't get out much with mine, but these lucky chaps that hit the big time, it's always from areas they never expected anything, or an area previously well detected. So anywhere!