Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 30-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I've photographed some medals here that would be representative of Charles Straker's group just out of interest. Sadly the WW2 medals would be awarded posthumously to his next of kin.

An impressive collection and for one individual to be awarded medals from both conflicts I would think quite rare. The MM and Victory medals passed to CR and Ellen's son also Charles Robert "Bob" Straker (Woodbine Street) probably when Ellen died in the late 1960's. It could be that the WW2 medals may have gone to other members of the Straker clan at that time if they were awarded posthumously to his widow Ellen.

With regard to the other missing WW1 medal, I suspect that this was not awarded. Apparently not all individuals entitled actualy received them, particularly if they were awarded a higher gallantry award.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Default Kathleen Keenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al88c View Post
Hopefully I've uploaded these photo's Ok, these are Charles Robert's MM and service medal. Charles was also my wife's grandfather and his medals have passed down to her sister.

The inscription on the rim of the MM reads -238188 Pte C R Straker 5/W RID.R. On the other medal (the victory medal) is 33094 Pte C R Straker York R.
Charles was my grandfather. My mother was his eldest daughter , Florence.
Very happy to receive this info as we thought the medals had been lost. Who is the proud owner now?
Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Our cousin Kathleen (uncle Bob's daughter) has the military medal .
Old 02-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim straker View Post
Our cousin Kathleen (uncle Bob's daughter) has the military medal .
Nice to know it exists and someone is taking care of it. Many silver medals ended up in the melting pot over the years!