Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Default Fred Smailes, BC Canada

I was introduced to this forum by Gordon Brown when I showed up in a search of his family tree.
Although up to now I haven't been that interested in my ancestry Gordon has spiked my interest especially when he gave me a location where my grandfather lived in 1901 before coming to Canada!
It is truly amazing to be able to see homes that are 100s of years old! Around here everything is made out of wood so a 100 year old house is a big deal.
Anyway may not post too much but will enjoy reading about the area and the my ancestry.
Gordon, thanks for taking the time to contact us.
Fred
From L to R at the back Victor Fred Susan Diane Shirley Jerry,,, Ron jr. missing
Front Pat, Dad's partner at the time and Ron Smailes, son of James, a coal miner living in The Stanners in 1901
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 056.jpg (43.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Fred Smailes; 13-11-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 13-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Hi Fred, and welcome to the site. I hope you and Gordon have come across the mining memorial on the sister site. There is a newspaper report describing the inquest into the death of William Smailes in 1915, under Broomhill.
Old 13-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Welcome Fred, glad you found it.

Regarding the mining memorial, Thank you for this link janwhin it confirms my findings on the family tree, and can now give William a death date.
He was Fred and myselves Grand Uncle.
I have a note saying he had a daughter called Maggie but still unable to find a link...his wife Mary Jane later remarried somebody called Harrison and they had a child called Eileen.

Last edited by Gordon; 13-11-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 13-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hi Fred welcome to the forum. I feel privileged to have a Smailes join us. I'm sure yours (and Gordon's!) are families with deep ancient roots in the district.

Look at the first entry on the earliest surviving Warkworth Parish burial register:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/warkworth_..._burials_1.htm [originally in Latin converted by myself, with a few lapses]

Spelling had not yet been standardised in 1677 but I'm sure a Smailes in 1677 would be a Smailes in 1901!
Old 14-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Default Re. William Smailes deceaced

This is a card regarding Williams son at Amble East cemetery, surprised his father ended up at Amble West, but this card from my album confirms the connection. Williams sister Isabella only reached the age of 16, and he had lost both his parents by the 1901 census and was head of the family aged 21. Three of his siblings emigrated to Canada shortly after, including Fred's Grandfather, James DH Smailes...(Dodds Hume)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smailes266.jpg (66.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Gordon, the burial at East Cemetery of William's son was into a grave used for the second time. An Annie Richardson Smailes aged 7 months was buried there on 2 Feb 1904.
Old 14-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Gordon, the burial at East Cemetery of William's son was into a grave used for the second time. An Annie Richardson Smailes aged 7 months was buried there on 2 Feb 1904.
One other bit of information for little John William's burial is that he was of Middleton Street.
Old 14-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
One other bit of information for little John William's burial is that he was of Middleton Street.
thanks janwhin? - don't know you're name! I haven't come across that address, went from _ _ The Stanners to Blackwood St, nice to have another piece of the jigsaw.
Old 27-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Default William Smailes deceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Welcome Fred, glad you found it.

Regarding the mining memorial, Thank you for this link janwhin it confirms my findings on the family tree, and can now give William a death date.
He was Fred and myselves Grand Uncle.
I have a note saying he had a daughter called Maggie but still unable to find a link...his wife Mary Jane later remarried somebody called Harrison and they had a child called Eileen.
Hi again - I've been looking for info about William Smailes 's only surviving child named Margaret. Seems she married a Benjamin Rodney Howell(Ships Mate) in 1931 and was living in Amble on the 1939 register, and they may have had a child. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Gordon.