Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Default New member Tattie

hello to all just joined the forum, don't live in Amble but not far away in Morpeth. My main interest is collecting old bottles (victorian), and also interested in local north east history. Hope i can contribute some local history to this forum.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome Tattie to our humble corner of the internet!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Thanks Coquet, i have posted 3 photos of Amble stone ginger beers in the album section from my collection, does any of the members know anything about the Amble firms?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:02 PM

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...read.php?t=180

Burton & Richardson thread on here there are descendants of them members of this site
Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks Leslie, just gone through that thread and some great interesting information on the mineral water firm. I will look through my collection to see if i have any other bottles from that firm that have not been shown.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Vagabond's post in the Rothbury section about ginger beers has reminded me to post a pic of this one I found within the Amble township boundaries just before christmas.

Not a big deal in the bottle collecting world I'm sure but interesting to me nonetheless. It's an internal screw mineral water bottle about 8.5 inches tall, by John Foggo, Choppington. Common I would imagine in the Wansbeck environs, but uncommon up here in Amble. I found one other Foggo bottle in Amble, in the 70s on the banks of the 'Gut'. That was a marble bottle, or codd, similar to others shown on the forum. So two in forty years for Amble Township. The Gut was a right mess when I found the first one, a real kids adventure playground, scrap and junk everywhere. Shortly after a JCB was deployed to clean the whole length of the Gut from the waters edge at the harbour, up all along the edge of Campbell Smith's land, right up to the Warkworth road. Quite a length of this has now been buried into culverts.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Do you have any info on John Foggo of Choppington Tattie? Are the bottles very common in your neck of the woods?

We will probably never know if one of the shops in Amble was selling Foggo's mineral waters, or if the bottles were one offs, brought in by day trippers or similar.
Old 21-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Yes i do have a few John Foggo bottles, there are not many variables as the one you have show and also they do the codd bottle. I am sure i have a 6oz codd small one which are very rare.The commoner ones are 10oz large codd bottles. There were a lot of these years ago but like everything now are becoming scarcer to find. Will post some pics on when i sort them out.
Old 21-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattie View Post
Yes i do have a few John Foggo bottles, there are not many variables as the one you have show and also they do the codd bottle. I am sure i have a 6oz codd small one which are very rare.The commoner ones are 10oz large codd bottles. There were a lot of these years ago but like everything now are becoming scarcer to find. Will post some pics on when i sort them out.
The codd I found was the large type. Not sure if I still have it. It was quite sick I recall, but with a rainbow iridescence as well.
Old 21-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Blue Glass Hamilton Story.

My aunt and her boyfriend from Newcastle accompanied me one day digging bottles. This was the 70s, I was still a kid. He didn't have much interest, he was there 'for a laugh', just something to do I think. Off to my favorite spot we went. He jumped into some abandoned hole left by someone else, proceeded to rake down the sides with a fork. To my astonishment out tumbled a blue hamilton. I tell you I've still not got over it to this day. Talk about beginner's luck. I'd never even seen a broken one, and here he stands with a mint bottle. The bottle went back to Newcastle with him and was promptly sold.
I can't remember who the manufacturer was, and I have no idea as to rarity or value today, but back then it was most unusual. Only Hamiltons I've found are the common Schweppes types. That site did produce for me a couple of emerald green Smart of Alnwick codds. Unfortunately sold by me at the time. £25 each I think I received.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Hey Tattie, have a look a picture number 12 on this Warkworth house
Old 22-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Canny collection of stones look scottish but hard to tell are they in with the price of the house?
Old 22-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattie View Post
Canny collection of stones look scottish but hard to tell are they in with the price of the house?

I bet you could negotiate them into the sale if he's motivated!
Old 31-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Just looking at your bottle album again. Very nice it is too.

I recall a Sanderson wine merchant bottle from Alnwick. (glass, beer bottle shape)
you have a large stone Morpeth one by a 'Sanderson'

Have you done any research on the W.S Sanderson bottle, are they the same as the Alnwick merchant?
I wonder if there is any connection to the Sanderson (brewers) of Eastfield Hall as well?
Old 31-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Well travelled Alnwick bottle??

just spotted this Wilson's Alnwick ginger beer on ebay. A long way from home in North Carolina USA