Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Hello from a new member.

Love the site - interested in Amble history . Live abroad now, ( Dubai) , but born and bred in Amble in the 60s/70s and have many happy memories. Still have family in Northumberland , and visit the town whenever back in the area .

Come from a longstanding Amble family on father's side (Hylton Young , who was a solicitor at Carse and Goodger in Queen St). We lived at Eastgarth Ave then the bottom of The Wynd. My grandparents lived in Aidan Road, ( Norman and Annie Young) . Norman's father was harbour master at one time, and his uncle owned the picture house at Red Row. Annie's family were Taylors and were fishermen from Low Hauxley.

My mother taught history at Amble Secondary Modern School, and had a particular interest in the history of the area - so I have her to thank.

Trawling the site brings back lots of memories, and one or two familiar names amongst site members - hi to two childhood friends , Steve Freed, and Dawson Straughan !
Old 16-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum Andy. There are quite a few Youngs on here! this one is about 4? years younger and lived in West Avenue when you were living on the Wynd.Duncan was the year above me.
Next time you are back have a look through Hylton's albums for pictures of historical interest!
All the best
Old 16-06-2013, 09:18 AM

I'll do just that Hollydog - father has several photo albums from his own childhood and youth in the 30s - 50s . See what I can find that might be of interest to others here.
Old 16-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Corfuandy, welcome to the forum. I think we have a common ancestor in Thomas Young 1849-192?; my tribe from his first wife Margaret (died of TB in Lime Street, 1888), and yours from his second, Elizabeth.

Thomas would be Norman Young's Father and my Great Great Grandfather.

I think many of the Youngs around here will connect into that line or Hollydogs! we are legion!
Old 17-06-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks for that Coquet !

Am sure you are right- I had heard about Norman's father marrying twice - great to know more .

Father always said we were related to lots of other Youngs in Amble. Sounds like you may have researched this properly already , but he reckoned his paternal side were originally from the borders , around Kirk Yetholm, ( a one time Reiver family ?) and gradually moved down the Northumbrian coast before settling in Amble early/mid 19th century, when it first started growing.

He reckoned the Taylor side from Hauxley had been fishermen there for many, many generations , and this seems borne out by early records .

If that's right, then its a little bit of social history - " rural incomers migrate to booming new town , inter marry with locals and remain ". Part of the growing urbanisation of the whole country that went on in the 19th C.
Old 17-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Welcome to the site, Andy.
A few years ago I did a bit of family research for my brother in law which ended up with me also doing a bit of work on Mrs Macnamara's family, as they were linked. Mrs Mac lived in Aidan Road and was related to your grandmother, who lived more or less opposite.
The Taylors paddled their fishing boat down the coast from Craster in the 1840s to Hauxley and the Olivers paddled theirs up from Cullercoats, via Newbiggin. They eventually intermarried and Mrs Mac was a resulting Oliver.
There was unfortunately a hanging on the Taylor side...Henry having married an Isabella Currie in 1840, whose father suffered the noose in Morpeth about 1822.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Thanks Janwhin. I remember Mrs Mac very well. She was a great friend of my grandmother's , although I didn't know they were related. She had a son, Pat, who was great friends with my father when they were young.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Here's Thomas Young's WW1 Medal index card - entitled to the British War Medal and The Mercantile Marine War Medal for service as one of the Amble Harbour Pilots.

Trinity House will hopefully have some information on him in their archives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medal_index_card_WW1.jpg (95.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 18-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Hi address is Panhaven Road. On the 1926 electoral register his eligible family is recorded there including Norman, but Thomas had passed away before this date.

[Electoral Register is in the collection of 'Leslie', forum member on here, and I'm busy transcribing it for the site- thank you Leslie]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926_electoral_register2.jpg (66.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 18-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Which brings me to another problem. I have old family photos. Quite a number are unidentified. One photo of an elderly gentleman I was told long ago was a Richardson, from another side of my family.

The photo shows him standing in a street. I did not recognise this street, so I posted the photo on here, and it was identified as..you guessed it ...Panhaven Road.

I had no idea why Richardson would be in Panhaven Road. But now there's another possibility entirely- the photo has been misidentified and it is in fact Thomas Young. I have no one left alive to ask now so the only chance is that there is a photo with his Trinity House or Mercantile Marine papers that could solve this problem.

Only thing going against it is that he looks too frail for the task of Pilot, Although he could have gained medal entitlement for the early period of the war and perhaps been retired from it for a few years before this was taken.

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...light=panhaven
Old 18-06-2013, 03:35 PM

I remember going to the house in Panhaven Rd as a small boy. Norman's brother John still lived there . I'll ask father whether the house name was "Albany House". I think it could have been - I recall a "fancy" glass inner door , which can be seen in the second photo. Coquet , I think your theory may hold water . Looking closely at the photo outside the house , the man looks very similar to my grandfather, Norman Young , both facially and in build. When I'm next back home I'll see if there are any old photos in our family albums to compare with.
Old 19-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Great stuff Andy.
I've also dropped Trinity House a line to see if they still have any information.
Old 19-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Father has confirmed that the Youngs did live at Albany House, Panhaven Rd , so I believe the gentleman in the photos could well be Thomas Young .
As Thomas died before Hylton was born, he can't verify for sure, ( he has no photos of his grandfather either for comparison) but he agrees that the man in question looks remarkably like his father Norman ( Thomas's son).
Old 19-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Can I just add that Hylton was quite astonished in seeing these photos after all this time. He believes it is definitely Thomas , his grandfather , and it "made his day' to put it mildly (!). Thank you all .
Old 20-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Administrator

I'm delighted too that I've avoided misidentifying Tom as someone else. Please thank Hylton from me. - I'll pencil some details on the back so this doesn't happen again!