Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default The Lamb Inn Warkworth

The Lamb Inn, Warkworth. now where was that one?

County Courts: Alnwick
FINE FOR PERMITTING DRUNKENNESS.
Henry Lamb, landlord of the Lamb Inn, Warkworth, was charged with permitting drunkenness in his house on Saturday, the 28th ult. On that day there was a rabbit coursing, which was attended by a large number of pitmen from Amble, Broomhill, Shilbottle and other places; the lots were drawn at the defendant's house, and thither, too, most of the pitmen and other parties who were at the coursing reserted to when it was over. There was a great noise in the house, and police-sergeant Porter and P.C. Bowmaker, who visited the house about half-past eight, found it full of men drunk. They saw the same men come out shortly before ten o'clock. Mr Middlemas, solicitor, for the defence, contended that the noise resulted from the habit that pitmen have of talking in a very loud voice and from the natural excitement discussing the events of the day; that there was not sufficient evidence that any of the men were drunk, and that there was no evidence that any of the individuals mentioned by name as being intoxicated had been served liquor. He also pointed out that the police admitted there had never hitherto been any cause of complaint against the house.--The magistrates considered that there must be a conviction and that this was a very gross case, and fined the defendant £10. Including costs. The conviction was ordered to be endorsed on the licence.

[The Newcastle Courant Friday, November 10, 1876]

I think Middlemas was slighty ahead of his time here - but they just ignored him anyway
Old 13-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Just remembered I have a old bottle or two from Lamb's Brewery in Warkworth.

Which was in Brewery Lane - with the pub on the uphill side of the entrance from Castle Street. [ I looked at an old map ]
Old 13-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Drinking in Warkworth

My great grandfather was fined 20s in 1883 for being on the premises of the Masons Arms during prohibited hours on a Sunday. He claimed to have only stood on the doorstep and was cleaning the pigs out in the yard! An under cover cop bought several glasses of whisky from the landlord and saw two other men buying drinks. They were fined 40s.

Presumably the policeman just staggered away drunk with his notebook
Old 13-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
My great grandfather was fined 20s in 1883 for being on the premises of the Masons Arms during prohibited hours on a Sunday. He claimed to have only stood on the doorstep and was cleaning the pigs out in the yard! An under cover cop bought several glasses of whisky from the landlord and saw two other men buying drinks. They were fined 40s.

Presumably the policeman just staggered away drunk with his notebook

yeah, cops drinking whisky; it's a tough job but someone's got to do it!
Old 23-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Have the copy service papers for Lt Walter Lamb killed on the 1st day of the Somme. Son of the Warkworth brewer. Another son died during the war in the uk and is buried at Warkworth I believe.

Here is the dreaded telegram, and the Brewery notepaper which has an interesting trade mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamb1.jpg (50.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg lamb2.jpg (43.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 23-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Administrator

On the subject of the Brewery bottles with embossed lamb trademark, I was convinced I had one of those but can't find it unless I have another box of old bottles hidden away somewhere.
Old 20-02-2021, 02:59 PM

Default Lamb Family

This has been a really interesting thread - my mum's dad was a Lamb and lots of the people mentioned in this thread are his family! If anyone has anything further about the Lambs, I'd love to chat.