Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men......
Old 25-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy shore View Post
Great detective work indeed! A clear connection with Lambs Terrace and the brewers who seem to have the makings of a good business with properties in Brewery Lane, building and selling properties in Amble outlets for their products in Amble and Warkworth. It seems Thomas's early demise and WW1 took its toll on the family as with many others. We may well have been sampling 'Lambs Bitter' in the local hostelries had things been different. Marias address in Scrogg Rd in Walker is still a main thoroughfare. To add to the tale, I worked on drilling rig with and Electrician from Clipstone Colliery, Notts, which must have been close to the location of Clipstone Camp where 2nd Lt. Thomas Lamb was accidentally killed in June 1916. Artillery accident maybe?

Lt Lamb was killed during hand grenade practice:

Quote:
Hull Daily Mail 3rd July 1916

It was reported to the Notts Constabulary on Saturday that Second-Lieutenant Thomas Lamb aged 19, of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry was killed on Friday whilst instructing men in hand-grenade throwing at a Notts camp. Sergt. Iverson and Private Bilney, who were alongside him in the trench, were very seriously injured.

Quote:
I worked on drilling rig with and Electrician from Clipstone Colliery, Notts,
I spent multiple summers down there as a kid, Uncle David (Arthur Goode's brother) lived there - cannot recall what colliery he worked in. They lived Clipstone/ Forest Town, and Worksop.
NCB were very active in getting miners to move into that area in 1960s - lots of north east men ended up down there at that time... ey-up-duck! (not sure if they still say that down there but it was the standard greeting in the 70s)
Old 25-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Janwhin says Harbour Inn Thomas Lamb was dead at 34 - and in Brussels too -wonder what killed him? rather young - I had a look in the papers expecting some sort of obituary but drew a blank again.
Old 25-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Not sure if it's worth showing old cards of Warkworth, place has not changed much! AND Mark Zuckerberg's drones will steal them as well.

Any-hoo.. here's that vicinity of the Lamb Inn (1904 postmark)

Old 25-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Over the road at the Hermitage Inn (with stabling ) they appear to have the pavement fenced off:

postally unused card but looks early.

Old 25-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Administrator

That 'H. Myers' that had the Masons Arms was one Hannah Myers, shown on the 1891 census as a 49 year old widow, licensed victualler and publican.
Old 30-09-2018, 07:34 AM

Strange how you remember things, my parents were married in 1942 and rented an upstairs flat in Church Street. The person they had to see about the tenancy was John Robert Ballantyne who was acting for the Lamb Trustees, this ties in with the mention of building flats in Church Street.
Old 20-02-2021, 02:59 PM

Default Lamb Family

This has been a really interesting thread - my mum's dad was a Lamb and lots of the people mentioned in this thread are his family! If anyone has anything further about the Lambs, I'd love to chat.