Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Rothbury and Thropton

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-10-2015, 12:59 PM

I would have thought that all road signs, the ancient and the more recent are the property of the council. These posts were (are) made for, and on behalf of Northumberland Council , as is the case all over the UK.

Councils buy the posts and they maintain them, or they should!

As regards the more older posts - the Alnwick Foundry posts, and the Eglingham Post (above), Northumberland Council doesn`t seem to want to know (confirmed in the case of the Eglingham post). I`ve yet to find a post that has been restored by the Council. They, no doubt would argue that they don`t have the money in these cash-strapped days!

Shame though, these signposts are unique, they are a part of our heritage - our history! Thankfully, one or two of our local parish councils are becoming aware of their existence, individuals are coming forward and offering their services in their repair and restoration.

In some cases, the work itself may not be of the best, but something is better than nothing. The fact that someone actually cares, and is willing to have a go at restoring these old road signs and bringing then back to their former glory, that`s what matters! The Eglingam post is a fine example of this. Well done all those involved in the restoration of this sign post.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-10-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
lol "was used for making gin" not any more though?

Meantime, back to more `hick` sober reflections ... another Alnwick Foundry signpost, this one`s on the B6341 over Alnwick Moor. Photographed May this year. Going down!

©Vagabond

Update 4/10/16
These road signs started leaning to one side about six months ago and eventually over the summer, they collapsed altogether in a tangled heap, before disappearing into the long grass . Last week, driving by, I noticed that the the "modern` sign had been set back up, albeit a little bent and battered. Of the Alnwick Foundry sign - there was not a sign - pardon the pun. Gone but not forgotten!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 PM

I saw that about a month ago, I presumed it had been clattered in one of the regular accidents that happen at the crossroads. Pity