Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Default 1939 Register

Don't know if anyone has seen this announcement but FindmyPast and the National Archives are working together to release the above Register in the next two years. It is a record of personal information for every individual eligible to receive an identity card and ration book. It was taken by the Government at the outbreak of WW2.
Old 31-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

I spotted the announcement yesterday on the FMP website. Excellent news, I didn't even know it existed.

We might also see the Red Cross records for WW1 online this year as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Crew Lists

I was looking on the 1939 register for one of my relatives and discovered that he was on board the Clifton Hall in Amble Harbour. A further look showed all the company boats there and the dredger, so we have the crews of the dredger, the Hauxley, the Bondicar, the Togston, the Chevington, the Amble, plus their normal residences. The Register also lists the internment camp although a lot of the names have been redacted.
What a surprise!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Pity they cut off most of the second page in their photos of the 1939 register. They had a superb record of the 1939 civil defence volunteers right under their camera and the chose to chop most of it off. Might be plenty of PhDs at the National Archives and the Genealogy companies but they are still generally stupid.

[to be fair there is generally just enough text showing to know or guess the entry]
Old 16-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Trying to sort this 1939 register out. Not sure if there is a way to browse methodically completely through a town/village.

I was going to just put the links in my browser but I know others might have an interest in this for future reference

So... findmypast have the the pages in browsable blocks.. blocks of .. 15/20 pages? we will find out.

Searching 'Amble UD' + 'Northumberland' has allegedly 3,695 results sounds about right??

I just hope the links don't die or anything.

AMBLE

1. 15 pages
Coquet Street, Lawson Street, Station Cott, Station Hotel, George Street, Bridge Street, Turner Street, Back Queen Street, Cross Street, North View, Prospect Terrace, Prospect Place, 5 Wellwood Street (Shop), Church Street, Queen Street, Dock Hotel, Police Station,

2. 20 pages
Newburgh Street, Back Newburgh Street, Percy Street, Back Percy Street, John Street, Windsor Terrace, Ivy Street, Smith Street, Henderson Street, Back Henderson Street, Leazes Street, Back Leazes Street, Broomhill Street, Lime Street, Grean Road,

3. 23 Pages.
Bede Street, Edwin Street, ?????? Road, Northumbria Terrace, Lindisfarne Road, South Avenue, Albert Street, Marks Bridge Cottage, Windmill Cottage, Woodbine Street, Acklington Road, Central Avenue, Oswald Street, Westfield, Moorehouse Farm, Moorhouse Cottages,

4. 19 Pages.
Dilston Terrace, Dovecote Street, Church Street (even?), Byron Street, Middleton Street, Avenue ??, Second Avenue, King Edward Street, Wellwood Street, Northumbria Terrace (odd?)

5. 22 Pages
Sawmills (the Wynd), The Wynd, Victoria Street, Gloster Terrace, High Street, Hallgarth, Gibson Street, Westgarth, Greensfield Terrace, Albert Street (even, mainly), Woodbine Street (odd), Eastgarth Avenue, Bede Street, (odd), Lambs Terrace, Acklington Street, Scott Street, Bisley Road, Newhall Farm, Hope House Farm, Cliffe House Dairy Farm, Dene House Farm,

I think that's the complete 'Amble'. Unless you can see a 1939 street that is not there? ...Woha! Panhaven Road, Gordon Street, Blackwood Terrace/ Street?, Coastguards?? I've a bit missing.

ok....

6. 19 Pages
Ladbroke Street, Cement Houses, Gordon Street, Marine Road, Panhaven Road, Sea View, Blackwood Street, Coastguard Station, Cliffe Houses [sic], Link End Farm, Coast Road, Island View, Cemetery Cottage, Signal Station, Link House Farm, Link House Farm Cottage, North Side, No. 16 Internment Camp, [Harbour shipping, various], Smallpox Isolation Hospital [unoccupied?], Bay View,

GLOSTER HILL

???
Old 16-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I'll stop adding those now for a bit of testing because I think the links will fail, not sure how their search results work but the URLs all look the same to me.

This is my original search:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...rland&_page=26

It is possible that search link might survive and the links will be in sequence (just as the above numbered links) down the page, taking you into each browsable block. Hard to explain but I know what I'm talking about anyway.
Old 16-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Well I've deleted all my cookies and the links still work (after logging in again to FMP of course)

Anyone else with a subscription confirm the links in post #2 take you to browsable blocks of pages? Janwhin wherefore art thou?
Old 16-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Links work for me and I can scroll through the pages
Old 16-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Links work for me and I can scroll through the pages
Excellent. Continuing to work for me too. I'll see if I can find the Chevington group later tonight.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Everything else seems to be divided between Alnwick RD and Morpeth RD.

RADCLIFFE AND HAUXLEY

In Alnwick RD is Radcliffe & Hauxley:

1. 23 Pages [Radcliffe]
Dansfield Place, The Cottage, Stable Row, Radcliffe House, Long Row North, Long Row South, Cross Row East, Cross Row East, CWS Manager's House, Newburgh Row, Centre Row, Leslie Row, Radcliffe Arms, New Buildings, Glendale House, Hawthorne House, East View.

Cannot get any hit for 'Hauxley' even searching district or street. Stumbled across it anyway looking through a list of Alnwick RD.

2. 8 Pages [A few more Radcliffe & Hauxley]
Ivy Cottage, Workmen's Club, Prospect House, Longstaffs Buildings, Togston View, Grange House, Front House, Pretoria Cottage, Hauxley Crossing Cottage, Kirkwell Buildings, Kirkwell Cottages, Woodbine Cottage Hauxley, High Hauxley, Hauxley Farm, Hauxley Hall, Hauxley Hall Cott, The Moorings, Hauxley Cottage, The Cottage, Old School House, Rocket House, Sea View Cottage, Hauxley Links, Bondicar Farm, Bondicar Farm Cottage, [+ small number of addresses for Newburgh Row, Cross Row East and West, Long Row North and South]

[See Togston and North Broomhill '1.' for Sea View Newburgh]
Old 16-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Administrator

TOGSTON AND NORTH BROOMHILL

1. 16 Pages [last two pages of this set are Morwick]
Togston Crescent, Togston Terrace, Queen Street, Gordon Terrace, East View, Coxon Terrace, Forge Cottages, Chapel Row, Togston Road, Togston Social Club House, South Togston, Railway Crossing Cottage, Togston Barns, Togston Barns Field Cottage, Barns Farm House, Togston East Farm House, East Farm Cottages, Togston Low Hall, Low Hall Cottage[s], Sea View Newburgh, The Lodge North Togston, North Togston Cottage, North Togston, Togston Hall (North), Togston Hall Farm House, Togston Hall, Cottages

WEST CHEVINGTON
1. 8 pages [Includes Bullocks Hall]
Chevington Crescent, Bullocks Hall Farm, Sandorn House, South View, West Chevington Farm, West Chevington Farm Cottages, Isolation Hospital, Station House, Railway Cottages, Chevington Moor Farm, Amble Junction, The Junction, Chevington Wood, Maidens Hall Farm
Old 17-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator

...Interlude

Janwhin has done an extraction of 1939 boat crews

and I've made a start on civil ARP / military (not home guard) war related.

Any extra information is added as a note in a 'tooltip' - that's a little pop-up note which opens when you mouse over a surname that has a dotted line under.

I can also add I'll never finish my page without transcription volunteers.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Regarding Janwhin's list. You can find photos of some of these chaps on their merchant navy cards on FMP:

This is Bosun Oreste Poggi, born Naples Italy 1884. (On the Hauxley 1939, address 52 Newburgh Street.)
Old 17-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Thumbs down

Can you check Northumbria Terrace or South Av for J G H Young please. My grandad s WW2 Police equipment. P to put over the car head light, helmet, gas mask and fuel coupons on attached photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18893331_1456521901037686_5768322344207924172_n.jpg (102.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 17-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Administrator

yes he's there:

16 Northumbria Terrace. YOUNG John G.H. Born 11 Apr. 1905. Married. Master Painter and Decorator, Own Account. Special Constable.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Also at the address Beulah, Frances and 'Baby' Later changed to 'John Rowell' b. 1939.

Last two entries should be redacted. Their redactions are such a hodgepodge mess I don't know why they bothered.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Nice photograph Hollydog. It all looks in really good condition. Something else for Coquet's museum perhaps
Old 17-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Nice photograph Hollydog. It all looks in really good condition. Something else for Coquet's museum perhaps
Yes priceless objects for the museum with provenance like that. In the 'Amble Home Front' cabinet they go.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The Register also lists the internment camp although a lot of the names have been redacted.
What a surprise!
No. 16 Internment Camp. I assume this is the first wartime use for the Lord Mayor's Holiday Camp? Left unredacted are female civilians, 'Army Officers Mess' Cook and Waitress, and a male, Samuel Blackbourn, Foreman of Works, War Dept.

Amble's own Concentration Camp.

If this was for enemy aliens I do hope they didn't chuck Bosun Poggi in there.
Old 19-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Administrator

CHEVINGTON DRIFT

25 inch map 1921

9 Pages
Hartside Terrace, Linhope Terrace, Farm Cottages, Miners Homes, East Chevington Farm, Simsonside Terrace