Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Birling Carrs tunnel

I noticed this horizontal tunnel 4 feet wide x 5 feet high presumably recently uncovered by the recent storms. It appears man made going back at least 5 metres. The entrance as can be seen from the photo is partly blocked by debris from above so I didn't go in, there is still a dangerous land slip potential from above, so don't go in !
Any ideas as to what it was?

There was a ww2 block house on the rocks round there ? There is also a small coal seam at that level exposed to the south 100 yards away. In addition, there is on the first photo, the remains of a large wooden pole embedded in the rocks is about 5 yards out from the entrance, it can just be seen on the general picture below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170115_094758.jpg (101.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20170115_094600.jpg (73.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20170115_094634.jpg (66.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 15-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:32 PM

I don't know if it got covered up again, but that tunnel used to be visible and open to the same extent about twenty years ago. I remember it being there and having a look inside. It only went back a few meters and it always seemed a bit strange as to why it was there. It seems too small for anything coal or stone related and it doesn't look like it goes anywhere. I guess it could be a lot bigger but it's full of sand. It would be great to find out after all this time what it was actually for! Looking at your photos, it does look like its a bit deeper than I remember (I could just about crouch down in it ).

Last edited by Morph; 15-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 15-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Interesting. Would make a good smugglers' booty hiding place. Especially near Alnmouth, infested with smugglers at one time was it not?
Old 17-03-2019, 07:06 PM

New info on this one suggests it was dug as recently as the early 70s miner's strike as they knew a coal seam was very close to the surface there.