Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 27-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Braid Gibbett

I have been looking with no success for information regarding a film from the late 70s which featured the now long gone pole about 50 yards north of the old green boat shed on the Braid. Each morning and night for about a month around 1978 I saw from the school bus a replica gibbett attached to said pole with a cage hanging from it. I was told it was to do with - William Jobling, from Jarrow, was the last man to be gibbeted in England in August, 1832
Anyone recall this film prop?

Last edited by hollydog; 27-12-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 28-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Administrator

The BBC did a programme about the murder "Farewell Jobling" which was a shown on 'Network' on BBC 2 on 4th June 1977. This was from 'BBC North East' originally. Could it have been 1977?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 12-28-17 at 02.22 PM.jpg (55.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-12-2017, 04:15 PM

Thankyou, most likely! It was there for about a month iirc. Pity no photos have appeared yet, it was an eerie looking scene on the mud at low tide
Old 28-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Th BFI has the programme details but no video yet. It might end up online eventually?
Old 28-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Administrator

On the subject of Tyneside or rather Newcastle I did transcribe a book the other week and stick it on the other website. It appears to be absent from elsewhere on the internet:

"The Picture of Newcastle upon Tyne".. etc 1807. A little before Jobling's time.

It is out of our jurisdiction but it does include a layman's visit to East Kenton Colliery. I assume things would be similar elsewhere in Northumberland pits at the time. This colliery curiously had a 3 mile access tunnel from the staiths on the Tyne and was popular with lady visitors as you did not have to descend down the shaft to get in. (last chapter on the webpage " DESCRIPTION OF A VISIT TO A COAL MINE.")

I wonder if the tunnel is still open?? (was Kitty's Drift according to this) "Kitty's Drift, an underground railway was apparently built from East Kenton Colliery to staiths on the Tyne in 1770. A subterranean tunnel and the colliery ("Kenton E.t") is shown on Lambert's map of 1807. " Lambert's Map online