Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You should try the rocks at Alnmouth at low tide. There is tons of ww2 rubbish, 303 cases etc, ( i think our entire coastline must have been ankle deep in brass cases) but the older stuff is there for the finding.I found searching the sand to be a waste of time as it's over 8 foot deep and the estuary mud is hard work, but the small rockpools contain some interesting little pieces of history.

A similar thought about material ending up in the rocks due to the vast amount of erosion that's going on at Amble / Hauxley area had passed through my mind.
I recall as a kid there being vast amounts of copper rivets and small metal artifacts in the rock pools around cliff house in Amble, but I presume this was from grounded and wrecked ships.

Very interesting anyway
Old 18-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Default Hello everyone

Just discovered this forum via twitter can you believe! I'm Anna and am usually found putting together The Ambler community newpaper. I'm also working with a group of young people on a hi - tech community/history/game project for Amble, and am finding more things out about the area in the last few weeks than in all the years I've lived here!
Old 18-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaAtTheAmbler View Post
Just discovered this forum via twitter can you believe! I'm Anna and am usually found putting together The Ambler community newpaper. I'm also working with a group of young people on a hi - tech community/history/game project for Amble, and am finding more things out about the area in the last few weeks than in all the years I've lived here!

Hi Anna, welcome to the forum, great to have you here! The Ambler is one of the few worthwhile things coming through our letterbox - it's a V.I.P., "Very Important Paper" read it all the time.

Anyway your other 'hi-tec' project sounds fascinating too, good luck with that.

Also hoping you can give us a boost with a few threads about local matters on here too!
Old 27-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Hello

My name is Billy Young, and I was brought up at 22, Stone Row, North Broomhill, and 9, Druridge Avenue, Hadston Estate. I had 6 sisters and 1 brother. I attended North Broomhill junior school from 1949, where Mr, Donaldson was the headmaster, and then on to Red Row secondary school. I left school at 15 and had a job at DOT laundries in Alnwick, then I went down the pits where I started as an apprentice fitter at Hauxley, then transferred to Newbiggin Colliery when I got married to Sheila Vickers from Newbiggin. Then I transferred to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire in 1966, then in 1972 during the miners strike I joined the Metropolitan Police, serving for 30yrs+. I retired and returned to live in Newcastle where I now reside. I play flat green bowls both indoors and out, and my other passion is football, a Toon supporter.
Old 27-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Fond memories of Amble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaAtTheAmbler View Post
Hi Anna I have very fond memories of Amble, first as an apprentice at Hauxley, one of my first jobs was working on the coal Staiths doing some repairs to them, so the coal boats could load up. The second memory is attending the local dance on Saturday nights after a drink in the Waterloo, and of course playing football for Amble boys club junior football team.
Old 27-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Regarding local mining, this is a subject I would like to pursue with a bit more vigour but it will mean time at Woodhorn archives. Have you any knowledge of what kind of detail they have on mining for the local collieries? (would be Radcliffe, Hauxley, Togston, Broomhill as the bigger ones )

(there's a nice framework of info on the Durham mining museum site for inspiration)
Hi Coquet, when I was a boy we used to visit my dad, who was an haulage engine driver at Coldrife Drift, where he pulled a train of tubs full of coal out of the drift, then hitched them up to the rolley way which ran accross the tracks through the fields to Broomhill Colliery. I know we should not have done it, but we sometimes hitched a ride on these tubs.
Old 27-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtheyounger View Post
Hi Coquet, when I was a boy we used to visit my dad, who was an haulage engine driver at Coldrife Drift, where he pulled a train of tubs full of coal out of the drift, then hitched them up to the rolley way which ran accross the tracks through the fields to Broomhill Colliery. I know we should not have done it, but we sometimes hitched a ride on these tubs.

Hi Bill, really great to have you here. See you ended up in the migration to the Notts coalfield - Mansfield / Worksop / Welbeck area seems to taken a lot of miners from here in the 60s/70s.

Was Coldrife Drift the same as Chevington Drift or a different one? I think Hauxley had a couple of ventilation drifts, not sure if they had specific names?
Old 28-08-2010, 12:40 PM

No Coldrife Drift was completely seperate, it ran towards the direction of Bondicar Rocks. My dad used to say that the coal was so near to the surface, the miners used to sit in the fields to have there bait.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Bill, really great to have you here. See you ended up in the migration to the Notts coalfield - Mansfield / Worksop / Welbeck area seems to taken a lot of miners from here in the 60s/70s.

Was Coldrife Drift the same as Chevington Drift or a different one? I think Hauxley had a couple of ventilation drifts, not sure if they had specific names?
I was past Hauxley a couple of weeks ago and noticed one of the air shafts was still in the fields close to the coastal road
Old 28-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No Coldrife Drift was completely separate, it ran towards the direction of Bondicar Rocks. My dad used to say that the coal was so near to the surface, the miners used to sit in the fields to have there bait.

Got it now, see map below which shows the mineral line from Low Coldrife. This Map (Crown copyright expired) is 1956, and shows the area intact before the opencast devastation. I didn't know the purpose of the line or the fact that there was another drift there.

So what was connected to what - Coldrife and Chevington drifts to Broomhill?, Newburgh to Hauxley and was Broomhill connected to the Hauxley / Newburgh pair too?

I think Newburgh Colliery is shown on this map top right corner

ps. this is the view of the site of Newburgh Colliery today: man made lake

pps The Durham Mining museum site has Newbrough and Newburgh as two separate entities, Newbrough being part of Radcliffe Colliery, closing 1896. A bit confusing.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Got it now, see map below which shows the mineral line from Low Coldrife. This Map (Crown copyright expired) is 1956, and shows the area intact before the opencast devastation. I didn't know the purpose of the line or the fact that there was another drift there.

Will have to compare that with the 50,000 map and see the difference!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiggin born View Post
Will have to compare that with the 50,000 map and see the difference!

Sure would be interesting. I think there is in existence Luftwaffe aerial reconnaissance photos from WW2 of our area but they are in archives in the USA if my memory serves me. They would be interesting too.
Old 17-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Amble Mineral Water Works

Hey a few years ago i found bottles down on amble beach, one of which is similar to the ones you have in your pictures, it is a clay bottle but mine has John Burton, amble mineral water works, it still has the origional cork in it but nothing inside the bottle. I was wondering if it has any value? i have loads of other glass bottles and clay pipes ive also found.

Thanks Dan
Old 18-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
Hey a few years ago i found bottles down on amble beach, one of which is similar to the ones you have in your pictures, it is a clay bottle but mine has John Burton, amble mineral water works, it still has the origional cork in it but nothing inside the bottle. I was wondering if it has any value? i have loads of other glass bottles and clay pipes ive also found.

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan - yes definitely worth something, but mine were collected many years ago and I'm bit out of touch with the hobby - best place to look for a rough idea of prices today is ebay:

http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/...-/69604/i.html
Old 18-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator

I have lots of bottles found in Amble or nearby that are from Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnwick and Berwick too.

Here's Ridley, Cutter and Firth, 'Manor Brewery Newcastle' Extra Double Stout. Must have been popular in Amble at one time as I've found a few.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Default What was connected to what ?

There was a mineral line, the colliery railway, from Broomhill colliery to the harbour at Amble via Radcliffe passing close to the old Radcliffe colliery and entering Amble between the allotments and St Cuthberts Ave. This line was constructed to save paying dues on the tonnage conveyed over the North Eastern line to Amble.It is shown on the map as the black and white line.It was joined at Radcliffe by a line from Newbrough and half way between Radcliffe and Amble it was also joined by the line from Hauxley colliery. There was a system of narrow gauge , tub width, lines connecting the various suface drifts at Coldrife, East Togston,Dawson etc to the B pit at Broomhill coliery where the coal was sent in sets to the screens
Quote:

So what was connected to what - Coldrife and Chevington drifts to Broomhill?, Newburgh to Hauxley and was Broomhill connected to the Hauxley / Newburgh pair too?

I think Newburgh Colliery is shown on this map top right corner

ps. this is the view of the site of Newburgh Colliery today: man made lake

pps The Durham Mining museum site has Newbrough and Newburgh as two separate entities, Newbrough being part of Radcliffe Colliery, closing 1896. A bit confusing.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
There was a mineral line, the colliery railway, from Broomhill colliery to the harbour at Amble via Radcliffe passing close to the old Radcliffe colliery and entering Amble between the allotments and St Cuthberts Ave. This line was constructed to save paying dues on the tonnage conveyed over the North Eastern line to Amble.It is shown on the map as the black and white line.It was joined at Radcliffe by a line from Newbrough and half way between Radcliffe and Amble it was also joined by the line from Hauxley colliery. There was a system of narrow gauge , tub width, lines connecting the various suface drifts at Coldrife, East Togston,Dawson etc to the B pit at Broomhill coliery where the coal was sent in sets to the screens
Hi Alan, was there an underground connection between Broomhill Colliery workings and the Hauxley/Newburgh pair?
Old 23-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Default Underground connection.

Yes, my father told of going through from the Broomhill workings to Newbrough when he was about 16 years old. He worked in the North side of Broomhill and a deputy took him through some air doors one day and there were Newbrough men working there , this would be in the early 1920's.
Newbrough was linked to Hauxley as the whole of the shaft bottom area at Hauxley was won out from Newbrough through the Hauxley drift ,a mile long stone drift driven for the purpose, water was sent through to be pumped at Newbrough,
Alan J.
Old 31-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
My name is Billy Young, and I was brought up at 22, Stone Row, North Broomhill, and 9, Druridge Avenue, Hadston Estate. I had 6 sisters and 1 brother. I attended North Broomhill junior school from 1949, where Mr, Donaldson was the headmaster, and then on to Red Row secondary school. I left school at 15 and had a job at DOT laundries in Alnwick, then I went down the pits where I started as an apprentice fitter at Hauxley, then transferred to Newbiggin Colliery when I got married to Sheila Vickers from Newbiggin. Then I transferred to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire in 1966, then in 1972 during the miners strike I joined the Metropolitan Police, serving for 30yrs+. I retired and returned to live in Newcastle where I now reside. I play flat green bowls both indoors and out, and my other passion is football, a Toon supporter.
Hi there my grandparents lived next door to you at number 7 Druridge Avenue ,Johnson family.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 PM

I worked on the opencast at the Togston, Radcliffe and Hauxley sites and the top seams were very shallow. At the Togston site there was a coal seam called the Little Wonder. It was the best steam coal in its day, with no ash with an incredible heat output. Urban legend had it as the coal used to win many of the Blue Ribbon speed crossings of the Atlantic.