Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Default Co-operative Stores

We've never done very much about the good old Co-ops being established in the area, but this is an interesting snippet from North Broomhill.

Morpeth Herald, 12 December 1891

"On Saturday last, the new premises known as the Broomhill and Togston Terrace Co-operative Store were opened. The opening ceremony was celebrated by the holding of a tea, concert, and ball in the Music Hall, and each event was largely patronised. Some time ago a dispute arose amongst the members of the Broomhill Store about the advisability of building new premises. Eventually the dispute centred on where the new premises should be built, and a large majority decided on a central position near the Board Schools. The opponents of the scheme eventually decided to break away and build a Store of their own, and in a remarkably short space of time a substantial and commodious building has been erected at North Broomhill."

Was this store near the club?

I expect the opening of Tesco in Amble will be the cause for similar celebrations
Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Broomhill Store.

This would be the one opposite the welfare which was demolished and where there are now some houses. The controversey may have been that it would have taken trade from the one at Barties Toon, this is presumably where the North Enders would have had to go to for their provisions prior to the new one coming on line.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I expect the opening of Tesco in Amble will be the cause for similar celebrations
Couple of weeks back Tesco announced a halt to its store building program and a move to building houses on the sites instead.
I assume the Amble Tesco is in serious doubt now.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...4000-new-homes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
This would be the one opposite the welfare which was demolished and where there are now some houses. The controversey may have been that it would have taken trade from the one at Barties Toon, this is presumably where the North Enders would have had to go to for their provisions prior to the new one coming on line.
Thanks Alan J I know where you are now. I guess the new one built by the Board Schools would be the one opposite Barties Town. The original store was apparently in an old school room given to the co-operators by the colliery. It was operating there in 1871.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Wink Co-op Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
There were two stores at North Broomhill. One was on the main road through, opposite the Welfare, standing on the west of School Row and on the west end of Six Cottages.
At the north end of Stone Row, east end of Six Cottages, on the western side of the infamous water tower was the store known locally as The Wheelbarrow Store. It was also called 'The Beehive'.
Both stores have now been converted to housing and Six Cottages was demolished and houses and bungalows built there. I lived in No.4 until I was 14.(1954) If you walked out of the welfare gate, carried on eastwards you would come to 'The Beehive'.
The one tap for the street water supply was on the outside wall of our pantry. The earth closets, ash pit and coal houses were around a square, at the back of the 'North End' store-rather adjacent to a milk store pre-war!!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM

One opposite Welfare wasnt that the coop
milk depot in fifties,if my memory serves right .
found a few Coop Divi tokens for Broomhill have one for a pound found warkworth, must have been quite a loss (wonder if warkworth coop was part of Broomhill one ) ? or vague memory of it being part of Amble !!! was where greenhouse is now.
, Have also radcliffe tokens , but never found an Amble one !

Last edited by leslie; 07-08-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Warkworth was part of Amble Co-op. My grandparents lived in Dial Place where the Greenhouse was. In about 1925 the Co-op bought all that corner in Warkworth to open their store. They offered to move my grandparents into the flat above the co-op on the corner of Albert/Bede Street.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
One opposite Welfare wasnt that the coop
milk depot in fifties,if my memory serves right .
found a few Coop Divi tokens for Broomhill have one for a pound found warkworth, must have been quite a loss (wonder if warkworth coop was part of Broomhill one ) ? or vague memory of it being part of Amble !!! was where greenhouse is now.
, Have also radcliffe tokens , but never found an Amble one !

Yes the pound token loss must have been heartbreaking for someone! Have you got any pictures of them? are they copper? I seem to recall finding one myself but I'm not certain.