Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 18-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Looking at my sketch again and the 1920 OS map, I think the proposed housing was filling in the gaps at the eastern end of Bede Street and round the corner into Wellwood Street. Carse seemed to have bought up quite a lot of the surrounding properties/land by the time of the Amble House sale.
Old 18-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Yes please, I would contribute to the copying costs, I am sure dad would be very interested as well. Let me know how much I owe you!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM

A bit more about that Amble House sale in 1920, the Morpeth Herald of 22 October 1920 reports:
"Mr Donkin also offered the freehold stone built residence known as Amble House, standing within its own grounds, extending to about two acres, in the heart of the town. Comprising over nine apartments, with entrance hall and all conveniences, and block of buildings, cottages etc. Mt Donkin said that the property had been used as a doctor's residence for generations. In the event of it not being used as a private residence, the property could be specially adapted as a social club or a picture hall. There was a scheme for the erection of 26 houses within the acreage accommodation.
Bidding began at £2,000 and at £3,400 the property was withdrawn.
The solicitors for the vendor (Dr William Smyth) were Messrs Charles Percy and Son, Alnwick."