Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Default Chevington Crescent

Driving along the opencast road to West Chevington the other day, I asked my bro in law if he could remember anything about Chevington Colliery and the pit houses since his grandparents lived there. He could remember it being a drift mine and a single row of cottages, but he also mentioned that the original road had come into Red Row by the side of the Buffs (Buffalo Club). It now comes to an abrupt end!
Old 14-06-2012, 07:43 AM

here's a good post regarding West Chevington with lots more info:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...hread.php?t=72
Old 14-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Had a look at the map in this forum yesterday, unfortunately doen't quite get us into Red Row
Old 16-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Driving along the opencast road to West Chevington the other day, I asked my bro in law if he could remember anything about Chevington Colliery and the pit houses since his grandparents lived there. He could remember it being a drift mine and a single row of cottages, but he also mentioned that the original road had come into Red Row by the side of the Buffs (Buffalo Club). It now comes to an abrupt end!

I see that on the old maps - on some it looks like a nice relatively straight footpath and on others something more substantial. Probably less than a mile walk. Didn't know that was there. I walked down the Red Row 'stub end' of that road a few weeks ago when doing some leaflets. It didn't click that it heads directly to Bullocks Hall. (or did - all gone now)
Old 17-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Looking at the map , the path does seem to lead to Chevington Crescent fom Red Row in a near straight line .
Heres a good site for maps :

http://www.keystothepast.info/k2p/us...st+-+Home+Page

click on the Local Histories to find the maps of the areas .The maps start from 1856 to the present day , you choose the years .
I find the site crashes when clicking on the maps unless you use the compass buttons on the right .I cannot print the maps either , but a print screenshot will capture OK.

Old 17-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Administrator

On the subject of West Chevington, my ancestors over there on the 1851 census have their address listed as what looks like "Chevington Factory" any idea what that was??

the addresses go...Chevington Wood...Chevington Factory....Maiden's Hall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevington_factory.jpg (69.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 17-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Timber from Chevington Wood was used for the Harbour at Amble and shipbuilding - Wonder if 'Chevington Factory' was for timber processing?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Question Chevington Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
On the subject of West Chevington, my ancestors over there on the 1851 census have their address listed as what looks like "Chevington Factory" any idea what that was??

the addresses go...Chevington Wood...Chevington Factory....Maiden's Hall
could be at what was Chevington Junction, there has been a lot of activity
in the past, i was born and bred i Red Row, and this is the only place i can think of?
regards Pineman.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman View Post
could be at what was Chevington Junction, there has been a lot of activity
in the past, i was born and bred i Red Row, and this is the only place i can think of?
regards Pineman.
could be the old knacker yard which you could smell the stench of the factory across at hadston,iirc that was at maidens hall.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM

I had a look at the old newspapers to see if there was anything about the Factory but it's elusive. There are a couple in the 1870s, advertising for tailors.
One interesting article in the late 1880s describes a train journey and mentions that Chevington and Acklington used to be populous places before the textile traders moved away to the cities. There was certainly a textile enterprise at Acklington and a Factory so maybe Chevington was the same.
The parish registers (Warkworth) might give a clue. I seem to remember plenty of entries for Acklington and the Factory.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I had a look at the old newspapers to see if there was anything about the Factory but it's elusive. There are a couple in the 1870s, advertising for tailors.
One interesting article in the late 1880s describes a train journey and mentions that Chevington and Acklington used to be populous places before the textile traders moved away to the cities. There was certainly a textile enterprise at Acklington and a Factory so maybe Chevington was the same.
The parish registers (Warkworth) might give a clue. I seem to remember plenty of entries for Acklington and the Factory.

I wonder if it could have been the 'Tile Works' these seem to pop up all over the place back then. There is one on this 1868 map to the west of the railway crossing at Chevington

http://visionofbritain.org.uk/iipmoo...ition/lm_109sw
Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM

I thought I would scan some of the baptisms at Warkworth to see what might be occurring at Chevington, not a lot. Perhaps there's more at St John's Chevington which opened for business in about 1859 but unfortunately those registers are not online. Warkworth had references to Broomhill Tile Works and platelayers at Chevington Wood Branch End.
It is easy to drift off though, you can see the developments happening at Amble and elsewhere through the occupations. Lots of quarrymen in Amble in the 1840s, a blacksmith with his address as Amble Staith, a staithman at Amble. A corver at Radcliffe.....
A very popular occupation was "single woman"